Radar on the M2K

il_corleone

I think this is time to explain something about airborne radars in general and the RDI in particular:

The documentation for the RDI indicates that the antenna limits are 60º azimuth and 60º elevation. That creates an horizontal arc of 120º and a vertical one of 120º.

Furthermore, the RDI radar has three horizontal aperture settings: 60, 30 and 15 degrees; while it has a vertical search option of 4, 2 and 1 bars. One bar = the radar search cone diameter. The RDI antenna provides a search cone with a diameter of 3º. So in this context you have a 12, 6 and 3 degrees vertical search pattern.

The following images will explain better than words will do:

RDI%20Aperture_zpsce4cofxt.png

RDI%20Aperture%202_zpspwuxho5l.png

As you can see that while the search pattern of the RDI radar manage to cover the entire horizonal arc with the 60º azimuth aperture, in the vertical it barely manages to cover 12º out of the 120º arc.

Having this in mind, be aware that it is very possible that an enemy aircraft will fly above or below the vertical radar coverage while in paper being inside its search radius. This also means that a bandit that you detected at max range can drop out of the radar because it flew below the search cone.

Also, in order to cover the entire search volume of space, the antenna has to move. This movement takes time and while fast, it is slow enough that a bandit track may be gone by the time the antenna returns to where it was before.

RDI%20Search%20Pattern_zpskcmkznkz.png

The RDI radar has three scan modes: RWS (Range While Search), TWS (Track While Scan) and STT (Single Target Track).

In RWS, the antenna follows the designated search pattern and informs you of all the tracks discovered in one sweep. One sweep meaning completing its search pattern as indicated by the bars selection. The RDI only provides the following information: range, azimuth and closing velocity in Mach number.

In TWS, you lock the radar to a track but at the same time the radar keeps searching its designate volume looking for new tracks. In this case, the radar will provide you with more information specific to the locked track (heading, speed, altitude) but the antenna will move exactly as if it were in RWS mode in order to follow all the other unselected tracks. Because the antenna is moving away from the locked track, it is not possible to guide weapons in this mode.

In both RWS and TWS, track information is slowly updated, you can notice this because the track symbols "jump" to a new position when the antenna sweeps the space where they are located.

In STT, the radar dismisses all other tracks and redefines the locked track as weapons target. The antenna is locked to the position of the selected target in order to provide continuous tracking information to guide weapons. Be aware that while you can engage bandits in this mode, you are also blind to the other bandits in the area. At this point only your eyes and the RWR can help you locate other threats.

• Like 2

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Hello,

I would love to know how is the prodecure to engage targets trough radar, do we have to "steer" some kind of cross? like on Russian or American planes? what advices can you give me about usage of radar on the M2K?

I want this plane so bad!

To reply your question, you need to move the TDC (Target Designator Cursor) through the screen towards the target you want to engage.

There are two simplifications keyboard controls that allow you to autolock either the nearest, the centermost or the priority track. Priority track is that aircraft with the greatest closing velocity, meaning that it is speeding towards you to engage.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Thanks Zeus! :thumbup:

Could you provide a screenshot, where the bullseye informtion is placed in the radar screen? Maybe, where my own position to the bullseye is placed, as well - if this is the case for the radar screen?

Kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And how long does it take for the antenna to sweep the entire search area while it scans the full 120 degrees elevation and azimuth?

If i understand correctly, the maximum search aperture is 120° horizontal / 12° vertical. You can't search 120° / 120°

PS: That appeared small to me in first reading, but i discover that this "4 bars search" is pretty standard. Su-27 radar aperture is 60° / 10° i suppose the F-15 does not far better.

125n7vd.jpg

Edited by sedenion

And how long does it take for the antenna to sweep the entire search area while it scans the full 120 degrees elevation and azimuth?

Regarding radar and 3D space, we never speak of area but of volume. Never forget the third dimension: height, or in this case altitude.

To answer your question: The largest search volume is 120º x 12º (60 Azimuth + 4 Bar scan). The antenna moves at 100º per second so it will take about 5 seconds to complete a full sweep.

I'll explain antenna movements in the next installment as well as the Close Combat Mode.

PS: That appeared small to me in first reading, but i discover that this "4 bars search" is pretty standard. Su-27 radar aperture is 60° / 10° i suppose the F-15 does not far better.

Some radars have a 6 bar search pattern, but yes; "4 bars search" is the standard in all radar equipped fighters.

The antenna of all radar-equipped fighters is fairly small and they seldom have more than 4º of aperture.

Edited by Zeus67

Well I eagerly await the next instalment of your explanations Zeus, I want to know everything I can know about the RDI and radar theory in general.

the 100 degrees per second tidbit is a gold nugget, I'd love to have details like that for every radar (but I'd settle for the F-18C radar)

I meant to ask something about that ...

Here's where I'm coming from:

The F-15 typically utilizes a 1 deg or 1.5 deg bar spacing (TWS vs RWS) at scope ranges longer than 20nm. The AZ speed is 70 deg/s, and you can select 2-4-6 bar scans for RWS, and TWS modes that employ 1-2-4-6 (AFAIK you cannot change the TWS pattern, which consists of specific AZ + Bars)

Some special modes (VS) move the antenna at 35deg/s, allowing longer ranges of detection.

At scope ranges of 20nm or less, the bar spacing becomes 3-3.4deg (IIRC), and antenna traversal is at 90 deg/s.

This is because the width of the beam is mathematically defined: Thus, at shorter ranges you have enough energy within 3 deg of the bore to get a good return.

Do you know if the M2000 radar has similar operation?

Some radars have a 6 bar search pattern, but yes; "4 bars search" is the standard in all radar equipped fighters.

The antenna of all radar-equipped fighters is fairly small and they seldom have more than 4º of aperture.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I meant to ask something about that ...

Here's where I'm coming from:

The F-15 typically utilizes a 1 deg or 1.5 deg bar spacing (TWS vs RWS) at scope ranges longer than 20nm. The AZ speed is 70 deg/s, and you can select 2-4-6 bar scans for RWS, and TWS modes that employ 1-2-4-6 (AFAIK you cannot change the TWS pattern, which consists of specific AZ + Bars)

Some special modes (VS) move the antenna at 35deg/s, allowing longer ranges of detection.

At scope ranges of 20nm or less, the bar spacing becomes 3-3.4deg (IIRC), and antenna traversal is at 90 deg/s.

This is because the width of the beam is mathematically defined: Thus, at shorter ranges you have enough energy within 3 deg of the bore to get a good return.

Do you know if the M2000 radar has similar operation?

No, I don't know. Sorry. I know that there are special search patterns tied to close combat and in the case of the Super 530D to reacquisition a target when lock is lost after launch. But I don't know the specifics of those. I'll talk about the special search patterns in the next installment.

I think this is time to explain something about airborne radars in general and the RDI in particular:

The documentation for the RDI indicates that the antenna limits are 60º azimuth and 60º elevation. That creates an horizontal arc of 120º and a vertical one of 120º.

Furthermore, the RDI radar has three horizontal aperture settings: 60, 30 and 15 degrees; while it has a vertical search option of 4, 2 and 1 bars. One bar = the radar search cone diameter. The RDI antenna provides a search cone with a diameter of 3º. So in this context you have a 12, 6 and 3 degrees vertical search pattern.

The following images will explain better than words will do:

RDI%20Aperture_zpsce4cofxt.png

RDI%20Aperture%202_zpspwuxho5l.png

As you can see that while the search pattern of the RDI radar manage to cover the entire horizonal arc with the 60º azimuth aperture, in the vertical it barely manages to cover 12º out of the 120º arc.

Having this in mind, be aware that it is very possible that an enemy aircraft will fly above or below the vertical radar coverage while in paper being inside its search radius. This also means that a bandit that you detected at max range can drop out of the radar because it flew below the search cone.

Also, in order to cover the entire search volume of space, the antenna has to move. This movement takes time and while fast, it is slow enough that a bandit track may be gone by the time the antenna returns to where it was before.

RDI%20Search%20Pattern_zpskcmkznkz.png

The RDI radar has three scan modes: RWS (Range While Search), TWS (Track While Scan) and STT (Single Target Track).

In RWS, the antenna follows the designated search pattern and informs you of all the tracks discovered in one sweep. One sweep meaning completing its search pattern as indicated by the bars selection. The RDI only provides the following information: range, azimuth and closing velocity in Mach number.

In TWS, you lock the radar to a track but at the same time the radar keeps searching its designate volume looking for new tracks. In this case, the radar will provide you with more information specific to the locked track (heading, speed, altitude) but the antenna will move exactly as if it were in RWS mode in order to follow all the other unselected tracks. Because the antenna is moving away from the locked track, it is not possible to guide weapons in this mode.

In both RWS and TWS, track information is slowly updated, you can notice this because the track symbols "jump" to a new position when the antenna sweeps the space where they are located.

In STT, the radar dismisses all other tracks and redefines the locked track as weapons target. The antenna is locked to the position of the selected target in order to provide continuous tracking information to guide weapons. Be aware that while you can engage bandits in this mode, you are also blind to the other bandits in the area. At this point only your eyes and the RWR can help you locate other threats.

gold!

No, I don't know. Sorry. I know that there are special search patterns tied to close combat and in the case of the Super 530D to reacquisition a target when lock is lost after launch. But I don't know the specifics of those. I'll talk about the special search patterns in the next installment.

Zeus, any news on this? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Radar Special Modes.

Hello, at last I have some time to keep talking about the M-2000C radar. In the first installment I spoke about the volume coverage and the operational modes. Now, I will talk about the special modes.

The RDI radar has several special modes available, depending on the tactical situation. For Air-to-Air combat it has what it is called "Close Combat Mode" (CCM).

Close Combat Mode or CCM, as it name implies is a special operational mode for the RDI radar for close encounters with enemy aircraft. In this case close means any bandit within 10 nautical miles (18 Km) of your aircraft. The CCM consists of three special search and track modes and it is only available for close range weapons like the DEFA guns or the MAGIC II missiles. Choosing the Super 530Ds while in CCM mode will disconnect the mode and revert to normal RWS mode.

The CCM modes are preset configurations and cannot be changed by the pilot, if you change one of the configuration parameters, CCM is cancelled and the radar revert to normal operational mode.

Now, the three special search and track modes are: Horizontal Scan, Boresight and Vertical Scan. All modes sets the radar range at 10 nautical miles.

Horizontal Scan:- Sets the radar at 15 degrees azimuth (30 degrees cone) and 1 bar (3 degrees aperture) search pattern. This is the fastest search pattern for the RDI.

Boresight:- As the name implies, it cages the radar antenna looking at the front of the aircraft in line with the waterline. Basically you get a 3 degree search cone. This is the narrowest search pattern and it just turns the RDI into a gunnery radar.

Vertical Scan:- Instead of scanning horizontally, the antenna moves vertically with 60 degrees elevation and 3 degrees of azimuth (the antenna does not move laterally on its own). The 60 degrees elevation provides coverage from -10 to +50 degrees. This mode is basically a specialized MAGIC II search mode, since it is usually used in conjunction with the MAGIC II missiles by slaving their seekers to the antenna.

CCM also has another feature: autolock. The radar will go from RWS to STT as soon as it detects a target. If it detects several it will follow these rules:

1. First engage the priority target. This mean the target whose closing velocity is the highest.

2. If all velocities are the same, engage the nearest one.

Note: Both Autolock and MAGIC II seeker slave features are not available in open beta. You have to manually lock a target by pressing the lock key. The radar will go from RWS to STT immediately.

To select CCM you must press the key "V" or assign it to a button in your HOTAS equipment. Remember that the only weapons available in CCM are the guns and the MAGIC II missiles.

Thanks Zeus! I just have two questions if you could answer.

1. Before autolock is implemented, will we be able to hold down the lock button to acquire or will we have to click once the target is in the radar parameters?

2. When locked in any of the CCM modes, will switching to the cannon automatically begin calculating the bullet snake range?

Thanks Zeus! I just have two questions if you could answer.

1. Before autolock is implemented, will we be able to hold down the lock button to acquire or will we have to click once the target is in the radar parameters?

2. When locked in any of the CCM modes, will switching to the cannon automatically begin calculating the bullet snake range?

You only need to click the lock button. The radar will lock the first target it finds.

The gun snake is always calculated, what the radar lock does is put the gun piper in the exact position in the snake where a hit is highly probable. To hit your target you have to place it in the snake and in the piper position, otherwise you will waste bullets.

You only need to click the lock button. The radar will lock the first target it finds.

The gun snake is always calculated, what the radar lock does is put the gun piper in the exact position in the snake where a hit is highly probable. To hit your target you have to place it in the snake and in the piper position, otherwise you will waste bullets.

Thanks, sounds easy enough. :)

The RDI radar screen

The RDI radar screen is impossible to miss since it is that large CRT monitor located in the center of the main instruments panel, below the HUD. We call it the VTB, which is the French acronym for Visualisation Tête Basse or Heads-Down-Display.

The VTB is NOT a Multi-Function Display (MFD). It is just a radar screen that can provide some secondary information.

On all radars, not only the RDI, there are two options to display contacts. One is the Plan Position Indicator (PPI), which is the most common radar display. In the PPI display, the radar emitter is at the center of a circle. The radius of the circle represents the range of the radar. The contacts are points inside the circle. The PPI display is the most accurate representation of a contact position in relation to the emitter.

In the M-2000C, the PPI display shows only a pie portion of that circle, representing the 120 degrees horizontal search arc of the RDI.

PPI%20Search%20Screen_zps8016flzv.png

RDI PPI display

The other radar display available is called "B-Scope". In this mode, the circle is flattened into a square with the bottom representing the emitter position. This mode is the common mode for all radar displays in US aircrafts.

B-Mode%20Search%20Screen_zps8xzln5ig.png

RDI B-Scope display

The main advantage of the B-Scope over the PPI is that you have more screen area to show radar contacts. The downside is that contact azimuth is skewed since it is a rectangular position instead of the real circular one.

In PPI mode, two contacts that are shown separate could be displayed nearly together in B-Scope.

The use of PPI or B-Scope display is a user preference and has no bearing on radar functionality.

Thanks, sounds easy enough. :)

Yeah, I thought the same but the darned AI pilots don't want to cooperate.

Yeah, I thought the same but the darned AI pilots don't want to cooperate.

:lol: Thanks for the cool pics. Next maybe a short review of what some of the numbers mean, please. ;)

I really enjoy your continued dialog in the forums, keep it up!

:lol: Thanks for the cool pics. Next maybe a short review of what some of the numbers mean, please. ;)

I really enjoy your continued dialog in the forums, keep it up!

Well, the "V" representes the contact of course.

The number below to the right represents the closing velocity as a Mach number.

PPI%20Search%20Screen_zps8016flzv.png

This image shows two radar contacts with a closing velocity of Mach 1.1 and Mach 1.4. This does not means that the bandits are going supersonic. It means that the combined velocity of your aircraft and the bandits as they get closer is equivalent to Mach 1.1 and Mach 1.4

Roughly, it is way more complex since vectors are involved, Closing Velocity = My aircraft velocity + contact velocity. If the contact is flying towards you, the value is positive. If it is flying away from you, the value is negative and closing velocity will be lower.

It is a way to determine priority targets. The common rule is the bandit with the highest closing velocity is the biggest threat since it is flying towards you to engage you. In this sample, the 1.4 bandit is the priority target.

The cross to one side is the TDC or Target Designator Cursor. You move this cross around the display and position it above your chosen target. Then you press the lock button and the radar locks your selection. The numbers are temporary, only for open beta, and they show from top to bottom, range and azimuth of the TDC. In this case the TDC is located at the 17.60 nmiles range and with an azimuth of 32.50 degrees. The minus symbol indicates that it is to the left.

I'll explain the TDC better in the next installment.

Edited by Zeus67