Game won't launch 95% of the time, hangs

Arbil

On the 2.5.6 patch my game hangs at the black DCS full screen splash screen with the menu music playing in the background. I uninstalled SRS and Tacview then ran the cleanup and repair but no joy. Restarted the PC. Game is still hanging on launch. Please help. Standalone, not Steam.

Logs.zip

• ED Team

Hi

please go to

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\ImagesShop

delete ImagesShop folder

and test let me know if it helps

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I deleted the folder and then it launched, this was also the first time I had tried to launch the game since yesterday(if that matters. It seems to me like it will always launch the first time after sitting for a while, IDK). Exited the game and tried launching again, it hung this time. Killed the process and the deleted the imagesShop folder again and tried launching and it hung, did not launch even though the ImagesShop folder was deleted.

I notice that in the task manager, after the sign-in\authentication happens, the DCS process goes not responding for a bit while the new little windowed Eagle Dynamics splash screen is up. Not sure if this is normal or not. Then it starts responding again(according to task manager) and the full screen splash screen comes up, then the menu music kicks in but the splash screen just hangs.

I have randomly the same issues to Abril, thought not as frequently. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and asked around if it was that, no responses, but assumed it was a Windows 10 issue because it never happened prior to that upgrade. I had not noticed the reduced size splash screen previously either, but now if that appears I usually get a freeze

• ED Team

Please ensure you have tried a cleanup and repair or verify for steam users.

if you still get the same after please attach your logs again so we can take a fresh look

ensure windows and all drivers are up to date.

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

please attach your dcs log it will give us some clues.

Also try my advice below

thanks

I'm having the same problem, I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but it seemed to be the right place for my problem.

I have freshly installed DCS via Steam on a new computer and I am having the same problem as described, the ED logo loads but then fades away to black, with only the DCS menu music playing. I have the Open Beta but my folder within savedgames is just DCS and not DCS.openbeta, so I don't know if that is at the root of any problems. I also do not see an ImagesShop folder (I don't know if that is a function of this being a fresh install or it being via Steam) so I can't seem to try that technique.

I think I have attached my log correctly and I apologize If I have not done it properly.

I believe the section in the middle of the log was created purely due to my attempt to launch the DCS in fullscreen (but I really don't know).

It looks to me (a person lacking tech skills) that line 150 may be the root of the problem. It says:

UIBASERENDERER: Cannot load font [C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\dxgui\skins\fonts\]!

dcs.log

MY FIX: I launched DCS from inside the AMD control panel and it completely worked. After setting the resolution settings I desired I then tried to open it from Steam and it worked perfectly as well. I don't know if my problem stemmed from the graphics driver not knowing what to do with DCS or something else, but if those having problems have the option to try this I would give it a shot. (IDK if Nvidia has a similar game launching feature)

Edited by Col.DSW
Problem fixed on my end.