Setting waypoints in the ABRIS

anthonye

If I make a route in the mission editor, the autopilot follows it fine. I followed the manual regarding adding waypoints in the ABRIS, but I find that the autopilot will not follow the route as it does in the one created in the mission editor. The only thing is that if I select airport in the 800 it will then turn and go there, so am I setting the individual waypoint wrong, or missing a switch somewhere.

Autostart is used not cold, so I thought that everything would be on.

Anthony

ABRIS and autopilot have nothing to do with each other:

In this chapter we will discuss the use of a flight route via the PVI-800 navigation control panel. This assumes that a flight route has first been created in the Mission Editor (ME). Keep in mind that the PVI-800 flight and navigation system can only operate with up to six pre-loaded waypoints (WP) from the ME or created when in the cockpit. Therefore, when using the autopilot route mode, you should consider this limit when placing WPs in the ME for the mission. Routes created in the ABRIS cannot be used by the PVI-800 navigation system for automatic route flight. The PVI-800 and ABRIS navigation systems are not linked!

IIRC you can get the coordinates from the ABRIS.

Set your PVI800 to edit-mode and punch in the new waypoints, using the method described in the manual and the coordinates for your waypoints in the ABRIS.

Both are working independently and based on different navigational system: ABRIS uses satellite navigation, PVI800 uses intertial navigation.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

IIRC you can get the coordinates from the ABRIS.

Set your PVI800 to edit-mode and punch in the new waypoints, using the method described in the manual and the coordinates for your waypoints in the ABRIS.

Both are working independently and based on different navigational system: ABRIS uses satellite navigation, PVI800 uses intertial navigation.

Thanks both, I missed that bit about them not being linked....

Thanks

Anthony

This is something that surprised me and probably quite a few others. I would consider myself a layman when it comes to aviation, but it seems like quite a missed opportunity to not be able to link the auto pilot system to the Abris. I guess we have Hollywood and Arcade games to thank for giving me these kind of assumptions. I suppose to a Ka50 pilot they would be pleased that they are getting this extra system that allows for a graphical map overview, better situational awareness in a combat zone and with your wing men etc.

I am wondering how these two systems (PVI800 and Abris) are used in real life. Would there ever be a case where a pilot would create a route on the Abris and then input the coords into the PVI? Or if they did input a route to the Abris would they just use the flight info provided by the Abris to fly the route manually? Maybe this is already set out for them by ground crew before they get in the cockpit, e.g. the ground crew loads the Abris with the route then programs the PVI with the waypoints before the pilot gets in.

You also have the issue of being able to modify or create additional waypoints to the existing route while airborne and on a mission, would these be entered into the PVI800, or would they again be just flown to manually using abris for steering info? I guess they would have to if there where more than 6 waypoints, some could be TPs on the PVI I suppose. Finaly, I am right in understanding that the Flight Driector mode has no relation to Abris either?

Anyway, excuse my limited understanding of these systems and any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thankyou

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

This is something that surprised me and probably quite a few others. I would consider myself a layman when it comes to aviation, but it seems like quite a missed opportunity to not be able to link the auto pilot system to the Abris. I guess we have Hollywood and Arcade games to thank for giving me these kind of assumptions. I suppose to a Ka50 pilot they would be pleased that they are getting this extra system that allows for a graphical map overview, better situational awareness in a combat zone and with your wing men etc.

I am wondering how these two systems (PVI800 and Abris) are used in real life. Would there ever be a case where a pilot would create a route on the Abris and then input the coords into the PVI? Or if they did input a route to the Abris would they just use the flight info provided by the Abris to fly the route manually? Maybe this is already set out for them by ground crew before they get in the cockpit, e.g. the ground crew loads the Abris with the route then programs the PVI with the waypoints before the pilot gets in.

You also have the issue of being able to modify or create additional waypoints to the existing route while airborne and on a mission, would these be entered into the PVI800, or would they again be just flown to manually using abris for steering info? I guess they would have to if there where more than 6 waypoints, some could be TPs on the PVI I suppose. Finaly, I am right in understanding that the Flight Driector mode has no relation to Abris either?

Anyway, excuse my limited understanding of these systems and any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thankyou

You have the same understanding as me, and the same questions. I was wondering about the Flight Director as well, not sure how you would follow the waypoints created in the Abris, so perhaps someone could explain this please.

Anthony

Can none of you experienced aviation types shed some light on this? You could say "why does it matter? just use it within the limitations available". But it always gives me a better understanding when I can relate to real world usage.

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

The Ka-50, as initially designed, did not have the ABRIS, but it did have an autopilot and navigation system, in the form of the PVI-800. The ABRIS moving map system (AMMS) is an add-on that uses GPS only. The PVI-800 and the autopilot system use many more pieces of equipment to do their jobs, including gyros, doppler, pitot and static air, and even the ADI.

The installation of the AMMS to the Ka-50 is not very different at all from a civil pilot anywhere else going out and buying a nice Garmin GPS and mounting it on his dashboard, only this one is permanently mounted. They are great pieces of equipment, but there are a lot more pieces of information needed to operate the autopilot.