Why do you have to have DVD version?

Lav69

Well, when an American developer manages to make a good flight sim, I'll be more than happy to support that too. :music_whistling: Right now it feels like the market is cornered between ED and Oleg Maddox (c'mon Oleg, show us that BoB!)

Good point. Sounds like a good topic for discussion/thread.

I bought the download version of FC, but it was the first and probably last digital download purchase I've made (not that anything was wrong with that transaction). There's something solid about having a physical copy in your hand, not invisible zeroes and ones.

I don't intend to purchase BS (not really into that helo) but when the A-10C comes out I will wait patiently until the DVD version comes out.

I love digital distribution. My single biggest annoyance with PC gaming has been having to swap discs to play another game. Games that don't require the disc in the drive always get more playtime from me. Frankly, I'd buy all my games on Steam, if I could. It was a little rocky when it first came out, but that service has really blossomed into something terrific.

Starforce for disk vs starforce for digital download. I prefer the disk. Although I got Lockon Gold from the bad batch they made, I'm still glad I made that choice. Besides I take care of my disks so I have no real worry about ruining them.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

It doesn't make any difference. I was just curious why so many peeps seemed to be tormenting themselves over this game when a simple download is all it took months ago to get airborne.

Some people prefer to get a box and a manual for their money, some don't. I bought the download version, but only because the boxed version was not readily available. I will get the boxed version because I'm used to boxed versions and the digital distribution doesn't do it for me.

And by boxed, I don't mean this supermarket-caused trend of having a plain DVD case with a note inside that the manual can be found on the CD which makes me feel like I'm buying a pirated copy; I refer to the times when you were really getting some additional content for your money. Now, if that makes me a peep..

I presume you're younger so you've never experienced the real boxed editions of games :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Amazon.com

Amazon.com 2 days Tick-Tock!:):joystick:

This is interesting its still dropping in price now 36.99 :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/DCS-Black-Shark-Pc/dp/B001OAUBR2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1238997076&sr=8-1

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

Some people prefer to get a box and a manual for their money, some don't. I bought the download version, but only because the boxed version was not readily available. I will get the boxed version because I'm used to boxed versions and the digital distribution doesn't do it for me.

And by boxed, I don't mean this supermarket-caused trend of having a plain DVD case with a note inside that the manual can be found on the CD which makes me feel like I'm buying a pirated copy; I refer to the times when you were really getting some additional content for your money. Now, if that makes me a peep..

I presume you're younger so you've never experienced the real boxed editions of games :)

ah yes i remember the days when u buy a flight sim and u get this great book to go with it :)

i collect my flight sim's and boxes (im a nostalgic type ) so when it comes out i will also buy the boxed version but i had no issue paying for the download version.

kinda reminds me when net banking came out no one would touch it now its the only way, buying games will be standard this way in the future I'm sure

HP TouchSmart IQ816 / 25.5" HD touch screen / 9600GS 512/ Core 2 Duo 2.16 / 4GB RAM / VISTA 64 / CH Fighterstick

Sorry but that doesn't rhyme at all with my memory nor my checks of old press releases from that very time period. (Nor new checks I just ran, looking at cards like the Voodoo1 at 300 dollars (quoted by Gamespy) or a whole host of others quoted not at release but mid-market cycle in Linuxgazette issue 34 at between 150 to 250 dollars, with a few budget cards below 100 dolalrs.) The only stuff I've found that would be new and in that price range is stuff like the MX series of GeForce cards that were specifically targeted at the budget sector and similar "Value Edition" schemes by Creative, S3 and Hercules. And sure, they were new(ish), but they were also weak and obsolete even in their first day of release.

My final analysis is that adjusted for inflation our graphics cards have become cheaper, which is in line with expectations due to a growing market.

But it's all OT (sorry for the derail people). If you have some examples (because I am genuinely intrigued about how I could have missed such a gold mine in the systems I built around there) you could PM me?

In the mid to late 90's and almost into 2000. They seemed to all be priced like sound cards, and then one year the price tag jumped to 200, and then the very next they were 400. I don't see how inflation made video cards jump up 400% in 2 years alone--it's a joke, and the joke is on US. Anyway, they have been laughing all the way to the bank since.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

In the mid to late 90's and almost into 2000. They seemed to all be priced like sound cards,

That was probably because they were less complex than the sound cards (being 2D only and the main distinguishing factor being the quality of the RAMDAC chip) :)

I remember paying some 175 Euros for my Soundblaster 16 sound card in 1992/1993 or so.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah I remember my Creative Labs SB AWE 64 Gold being rather expensive. Went all the way to a different town to be able to get it. I still remember opening the box and the smell. Nostalgia...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

Because more people than many would think dont´use internet like his main suply of info about games. Many people just came to a shop looking for something, and find the DVD box of BS.

The potential costumers of BS are not only in forums like this. This is, IMHO, why ED-DCS would offer his products not only via internet but also in phisical storage like DVD in shops all over the world.

But as far as I know the boxed version isn't available in shops, at least not in holland as far as I know :cry:

But as far as I know the boxed version isn't available in shops, at least not in holland as far as I know :cry:

yes it is. I've seen it at Dynabyte. ;) But if you look at the webstore it actually says 'out of stock'. If you want the DVD version I'd contact them to see whats the status.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

• ED Team

In Holland, Favour BV is shipping to shops this week.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

What I can say about is that DCS site doesn't accept payments maded with debit cards , that's the why I had been whait till few days ago ...:joystick:

61st Sq 'Griffins'- Largest distributor of Flanker, Fulcrum and Frogfoot parts in the Black Sea Region

Eh, yes it does. If it's a VISA or MC it doesn't matter if it's credit or debit, it either gets cleared or not when the bank connection is made in both cases.

VISA Electron might be something else.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Why do I have to have a DVD? Because I have to have one of each download Russian, Download Englissh and DVD! :)

That's one way to invest into something I like.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

If you give me free international shipping, sure. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

If you give me free international shipping, sure. :P

+1 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]