I have a TrackIR 2, any reason to upgrade?

I currently have a TrackIR 2. I used to play sims a lot a few years ago. I am just wondering if there is really any reason to pay ~$100 and upgrade to a newer model?

Would it just be slight improvement to go to a TrackIR 4, or would it be a night and day difference?

Well, AFIAK, TIR 2 doesn't support 6DOF. So hell yes it's worth the upgrade, you'd get 4 more axis of movement.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Get FreeTrack if you can. You get well working TIR almost for free.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Well, AFIAK, TIR 2 doesn't support 6DOF. So hell yes it's worth the upgrade, you'd get 4 more axis of movement.
:megalol: That one made my day.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

6DOF, 46° FOV, 120 FPS, support for Track Clip Pro (you can tack it to your headphones and don't need to put on a cap), newest software support (for both TiR4 and 5), and nice design (I like it much more than TiR5). Enough? :)

technology_068a_002.jpg

Edited by funkee

[sIGPIC]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/avatarpolishairforce.png[/sIGPIC]

system specs:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS4 rev 2.1, CPU: Intel C2D E8400@4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512, RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x 1GB 1066MHz Dual Channel, HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640 GB x2, sound: Realtek Azalia ALC889A + SB Audigy + Dolby Digital/DTS external encoder/tuner, display: Asus VW222U 22', case: Raidmax Smilodon, headphones: Sennheiser HD650, stick: Saitek Cyborg Evo, Track IR4 Pro + TrackClip Pro, O/S: Windows 7/Vista x64

Thanks for the info guys. I just got on ebay and ordered a new TrackIR 4 + Trackclip Pro for $121.50 shipped - $9.72 bing cashback = ~$112. Now when you factor in that can sell my TrackIR 2 on ebay for something like $30? (don't know really how much it is worth), it makes the overall total not quite as bad.

Camera || Sensor Resolution || Sub-Pixel Reporting Resolution || Sensor || FPS || Angle (º) || CPU Usage || In-device Pre-processing || Degrees of Freedom

NaturalPoint TrackIR 2 || 60k pixels (eg 300x200) || No || monochrome || 100 33 || small || yes || 2DOF

NaturalPoint TrackIR 5 || 640 x480 || 96000 x 72000 || monochrome || 120 || 51.7 || small || yes || 6DOF

Video comparision between TrackIR 4 vs 5, imagine in 2 vs 5:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/comparison/?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&width=810&height=324&modal=true

I recommend you buy TrackIR 5, not 4, TrackIR5 have important features improved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Resolution is not the only improvement. You can view differents improvements, for example one of this is the importan Angle of View. Resolution and other imagen improved features gift more smouth and precision movementes.

Red is improved

TrackIR 4:PRO

Raw Sensor Resolution: 355x288 (sub-sampled at 710x288)

Reporting Resolution: 1/20th pixel

Sub-Pixel Reporting Resolutio: 7,100 x 5,760

Resolution/Horizontal Field of View Degree: 154 subpixels/degree

Angle: 46

TrackIR 5

Raw Sensor Resolution: 640x480

Reporting Resolution: 1/150th pixel

Sub-Pixel Reporting Resolutio: 96,000 x 72,000

Resolution/Horizontal Field of View Degree: 1850 subpixels/degree

Angle: 51.7

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Yes we all know 5 is better, but is it really necessary?

It's like trying to sell the X-52 to an X-45 owner. It isn't necessary to get a more modern HOTAS when the X-45 will clearly suffice...but the X-52 is obviously better.

As I said, I've had all of them, and the 5 is definitely the best (biggest view angle, best stability due to higher resolution, faster scan rate). However, again, if you already have a 4 it's not really worth the upgrade, but if buying new, I would go for the 5.