Sky Color Modders?

SilentEagle

Awesome work as always Blaze & SE! I've always felt the colors in Lock On are a bit cartoonish, which is why I usually tweak my monitor to a less saturated setting. This will help!

Now, can I talk you into sharing those porta potties... One for Deuce! :megalol:

P.S. OT... Your airport signage is pretty close, but no cigar... there's one mistake I can spot.

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

Love it! Where can I get it?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Didn't look at the attachment. I'm loving it. I don't mind the gray. Actually makes it more realistic, IMO.

Also, could you explain what you changed and how to do this in case any of us wish to tweak it in the future?

Thanks, and awesome job!

Aero

Edited by Aeroscout

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

:no: It's team-only, so to use it you have to be a member of VPJT. This thread is only about the sky-color mod.

Edited by Blaze

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

:no: It's team-only, so to use it you have to be a member of VPJT. This thread is only about the sky-color mod.

Good job on being part of the community. How about we start releasing mods for everyone not in VPJT? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

THX!

Installed and running it :thumbup:

Greets

S@uDepp

// Hasi @4,5 GHz @ H100i // Asrock Z87M Extreme 4 // Avirex 4x4GB // PALIT 1070 GTX SuperJetStream // Corsair 350D // Plextor extern // DELL 2407WFP // Razer Lancehead // 2xThrustmaster T.16000M + Saitek Pedals Pro // Oculus Rift // 3x amBX // Win10 Pro x64

• 2 months later...

OK, years with the awful manga-like sky is enough of a motivation for me to dig into it. The problem is that I've read tens of posts and none of them clearly explains how to change RGB values. Tossing in a bunch of lines of code doesn't cut it.

The closest bits of explanation were supposed to be:

That's not really a fix, just a little ARTIFICE in the sky luminance.

The files are located at:

\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\Effects\SKY

sky_basic.dat

sky_new.dat

skyfog_b.dat

skyfog_v.dat

Open one file for time (using a text editor) and locate this section:

... omissis ...

;add r1.z,r1.z,c9.z ;r1.z=lumE*cos_gamma*cos_gamma+1

add r1.y,r1.y,r1.z

mul r1.x,r1.x,r1.y

mul r1.y,r1.x,c17.x ;r1.y=luminance

;-----------------------------------------

... omissis ...

make these changes:

... omissis ...

;add r1.z,r1.z,c9.z ;r1.z=lumE*cos_gamma*cos_gamma+1

add r1.y,r1.x,r1.z

mul r1.x,r1.x,r1.y

mul r1.x,r1.x,c17.x ;r1.y=luminance

;-----------------------------------------

... omissis ...

and save it.

and

For those who'd like to experiment:

try changing

to

Then c11, c12 and c13 respectively. You'll get exact color coefficients to deal with.

what it is:

x component is red

y - green

z - blue

So, if you want the sky color to have 50% less blue component (for example), add the following:

before the line

Not quite beautiful, but something to start with ;)

None of the quotes contain the right explanation. If anyone has the knowledge please reply and be specific.

- which lines?

- which values?

- what value correspond to what value in RGB code, respectively?

Anything less than that is not really helpful.

Edited by Bucic

OK, years with the awful manga-like sky is enough of a motivation for me to dig into it. The problem is that I've read tens of posts and none of them clearly explains how to change RGB values. Tossing in a bunch of lines of code doesn't cut it.

The closest bits of explanation were supposed to be:

and

None of the quotes contain the right explanation. If anyone has the knowledge please reply and be specific.

- which lines?

- which values?

- what value correspond to what value in RGB code, respectively?

Anything less than that is not really helpful.

Sorry, but I can't help You. When my work was finished I deleted all researches.

I haven't updated my work for DCS BS becasue I'm satisfied of this sky, ... and soon will have good improvements in the sky, that already are in DCS DCS A-10. Not perfect, but good for me.

As You've found, better informations are in SkyColorMod 1.0.zip. At present, I use my very short free time only to fly BS.

Best regards.

antonio (mitch789 was my old username).

sky artifice - general notes and screens.pdf

sky artifice coverage.pdf

Thanks joker, but the pdfs don't contain enough information either as to how manipulate RGB settings. Just which lines to modify and few examples...

Bucic,

I've tried to remember my work.

Attached are 3 screens of modified sky_basic file, just as example:

sky_basic - 01.jpg

note here the values for RGB conversion

sky_basic - 02.jpg

here I've made changes in luminance parameters (sorry, but You must check changes in each file into SkyColorMod 1.2 final package.zip to understand, because I deleted my notes and records. example:

add r1.y,r1.y,r1.z > add r1.y,r2.x,r1.z

sky_basic - 03.jpg

here I've made changes in RGB (see note upon). example:

dp3 r0.x,r1,c10 > dp3 r0.x,r1,c11

dp3 r0.y,r1,c11 > dp3 r0.x,r1,c11

dp3 r0.z,r1,c12 > dp3 r0.z,r1,c11

Remeber to apply these changes in each file: sky_basic.dat, sky_new.dat, skyfog_b.dat, skyfog_v.dat, and to check each time the result in the sim. I don't known is these files are also in DCS BS. I don't more worked on sky.

That's the best I can do for You. Hoping this can help.

Best regards.

antonio

223490560_sky_basic-01.jpg.8a1a3a6e588e9c7271a4f5566033ebd2.jpg

444344156_sky_basic-02.thumb.jpg.55cd9c90330c3face7f44e615d7f1867.jpg

435907717_sky_basic-03.thumb.jpg.ef6519f0973db0fa9dffc5c2f4021f6c.jpg

I still have no track to pick up and stay on. I don't want it to sound bad but everything you wrote so far is evident just from reading and comparing the original and the modded sky color files. For example I've seen the 'RGB conversion' note before but it means absolutely nothing for someone not familiar with pixel shaders programming.

If this is all you have (too bad you've lost your notes) then please at least try to explain why one sky color mod modifies the values near the line with 'gamma+1' (mul, add, ... lines?) while the other (DarkWanderer's) modifies some values near 'dp3' lines?

Or maybe we could try a different approach.

1. You've changed c10, c11, c12 to c11, c11, c11. What's the logic behind that modification in regard to RGB.

2. You've changed r0.x to r0.y. What's the logic behind that modification in regard to RGB.

Edit:

If you can't help me with nothing more that's fine. I really do appreciate your time you've spent trying to help me :thumbup:

Edited by Bucic

Can someone guess a possible pattern from the image below?

sky_investigation_bucic.jpg

Edit:

Well, I've been bitchin' about ridiculously white haze so... here's a proper haze :)

sky_color_bluehaze.jpg

alternatively

sky_color_bluehaze_10_10_11.jpg

dcs_black_shark_bluehaze_bucic2.jpg

dcs_black_shark_bluehaze_bucic.jpg

dcs_black_shark_bluehaze_bucic5.jpg

dcs_black_shark_bluehaze_bucic4.jpg

dcs_black_shark_bluehaze_bucic3.jpg

Edited by Bucic
  • Like 1

Modman 7.3 compatible package available. NOT tested. Let me know, if it works.

bluehazewhiteskymodbucic.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/21d1k2syukoeg2u/blue_haze_white_sky_mod_v0p1_by_bucic.zip

Readme:

- primarily - changes the original plain white haze to a more realistic, blue-ish haze.

- changes the original manga-blue sky to white

It's more like moving the original sky 'out of the way' rather than fixing it. It kind of looks like loved but unrealistic exaggerated HDR effect found in many games.

I still haven't found a way to deliberately (!) alter RGB values in the sky shader files:

sky_basic.dat

sky_new.bak

skyfog_b.dat

skyfog_v.dat

If you know how to do it, please post your suggestions here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=54159

Edited by Bucic

Very nice Bucic. :) Would be nice to have sky color change based on weather and seasons...

AFAIK there were always been changes based on weather etc. It uses the sky color set in pixel shader files as a 'base', so it appears. And no one has discovered how to DELIBERATELY alter that base sky color yet.

Who summoned me?..

Since Bucic asked me to help...

(...I can't refuse to lend a hand, however, don't expect wonders...)

Actually, shader editing is pretty straigthforward, if you know the basics of vertex shaders and/or assembler. You can get a glimpse on them here.

Basically, what we need is that:

• oPos is vertex position (everything that goes here doesn't interest us)
  • oD0 - diffuse color (actual color of the sky)
  • oD0.xyz = rgb of output color
  • c** are constants, either set by the engine, either #defined in the assembler code itself

The tricky part is the file structure. I didn't dig deep into it, but I can draw a coarse picture. The algorithm does the following:

1. Positions the points of an abstact sphere around the camera (this part ends at 4 oPos.* lines)
  2. Calculates color coefficients based on some scientific formula (possibly, something of these series) in YUV(?) color space
  3. Converts the HSV into RGB via matrice defined in c10-c12 and writes them intro oD0.

Knowing this, you can easily dig deeper and find out what this is all about ;), and for now, get some clues on actual editing.

What can we do?

First, we can define our own constants. Example:

def c23, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7

This gives us a constant with x = 0.4, y = 0.5, z = 0.6, w = 0.7

This is what some mods do - redefine the constants supplied by the game to modify the formulaes output.

Note: if you don't want to redefine anything, all user-defined constants numbers should start from 23, as all preceding (excl., possibly, 21) are already taken.

Second, we can modify the color output of the shader.

Base code:

mov oD0, r0

- directly moves values from registry 0 to output color.

Example modification 1:

mad r0.z,r0.z,c23.x,c23.z
mov oD0, r0

- maps the x->y range of output blue color to 0.4*x+0.6->0.4*y+0.6

Example modification 2:

mul r0, r0, r0
mov oD0, r0

- calculates the color value as a square of itself (pretty nasty looking, but shows the idea)

Example modification 3:

mul r0, r0, c23
mov oD0, r0

- directly multiplies the output values by provided constant values.

Note that the line second from the end does the same with c22 - but it's effect is cancelled by the subsequent command.

Please also note, that if you modify sky color, you should apply the same change to fog color - to avoid bad color misaligning of sky and far mountains.

Given the information above and some patience - you have your chances ;)

Edited by DarkWanderer
  • Like 1

You want the best? Here i am...

Thanks DarkWanderer!!! :)

Thank you DarkWanderer!

But I think you forgot about the one example I need :music_whistling:

How do I set sky color of e.g. RGB 210, 215, 240? :) Or any given HSV, no matta, I can provide values in both color spaces.