Sky Color Modders?

SilentEagle

While my attempts at understanding how the sky color mods work have failed, I know there are those out there capable of changing the color. I have always felt the default blue of the sky is not very realistic and many of the sky color mods focus on specific conditions, instead of creating a new default blue color. Below is a screenshot I took below the water that changed the sky to a much better color.

screenshot047a.jpg

Is it possible for anyone to create a sky mod that could look similar to the above?

If you changed clouds I would think it is real photo - clouds say it is LO.

Really nice sky.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I tried luke88's grey skies mod (originally for BS). But everything is too gray.. looks like germany weather. And I think it changes also the fog parameters.

screenshot001fc.jpg

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

We will see something cool when ED finish the weather engine that is planned for the future, or i hope.

REX 2 it´s very cool.

Greetings

REX looks awesome. Thanks for posting the pics. It's also just been me made available for X-Plane (which will go nicely with the MBK-117 helo you can also get for it).

I'd suggest ED could use SundogSoft's (http://sundog-soft.com/sds/) cloud rendering library but REX looks even better.

I tried luke88's grey skies mod (originally for BS). But everything is too gray.. looks like germany weather. And I think it changes also the fog parameters.

screenshot001fc.jpg

Honestly ive never liked this sky mod, its very unrealistic.

Anyone know how to change sky colors yet??

There is tutorial on forum try use searcher :)

It has been posted long time ago IIRC.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

There also was something else where someone wrote each RGB values.

ಠ_ಠ

Not exactly what I wanted, but an interesting result...

I see a little purple in the sky

screenshot050fb.jpg

What I'm aiming for is the deep blueish grey fading to a light blue on the horizon, like the first post of this thread, but like I said, I'm just making this up as I go. I have a feeling that everyone else before me has done the same.

The best models of the sky are physically based models. For example, R.S. Neilsen's paper considers Rayleigh and Mie scattering and compares to observations from an F-16 at altitude:

http://www.aj-productions.de/fsdeveloper/category.php5?category=Sky

Such physically-based sky models can easily be rendered in real-time on today's GPUs using shaders.

Then we have physicists such as Yoda, Case and myself (plus I'm sure there are others in the community) who can understand and use the source code in the paper.

The problem is, even if you came up with such a rendered sky how would you get it into LockOn? (since it is not a texture). Regrettably it is not something that is open to modders.

Messing with that sky color was a lot of guess work at first. After a bit we had a basic idea of what we were doing and what did what, and that's the closest we could get to the results we were looking for. If anyone can improve on them go for it! The version before this one was much bluer, it also looked nice but we ended up liking the deeperblueskyv1 the best.

Edited by Blaze
  • Like 1

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Any way to get the horizon haze to look a bit less gray? Other than that; very nice indeed!

Intel i7-950 @stock, Asus P6X58D-E, 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Asus GTX 580, Corsair 120GB SSD, Corsair HX 750W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]