Effect of weight on Gazelle

Hawkeye60

I do not remember seeing this mentioned here.

While in the ME if you select any payload, the total weight displayed is always over max weight.

To get to 100% you need to remove fuel.

So the questions I have is,

Is weight modeled in the Gazelle (I sure it must be) and if so, what effect does reducing the weight have on handling and control?

Is she more maneuverable?

If you pick up troops and/or cargo, while carrying a full weapon load will this have a major effect?

Especially with a full tank.

I would think it should in the real thing!

Thanks for your attention in this important matter.:)

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

While in the ME if you select any payload, the total weight displayed is always over max weight.

To get to 100% you need to remove fuel.

So the questions I have is,

Is weight modeled in the Gazelle (I sure it must be) and if so, what effect does reducing the weight have on handling and control?

I believe weight is modelled, less torque is needed to lift off or hover in ground effect and she's a little faster.

Is she more maneuverable?

Perhaps but it's hard to say as I never fly with more than 66% (280 kg, 1 hr 30 min) fuel for the previously mentioned reasons.

If you pick up troops and/or cargo, while carrying a full weapon load will this have a major effect?

I mainly use CTLD to simulate troop/cargo loads and the additional weight can't be set for MP clients.

AFAIK troop loading should work in SP missions using the mission editor's standard functions but I'm not sure how well it's working in 1.5.4 or familiar enough with the Gazelle's handling to tell if the extra weight is modelled. The only mission I've created using the feature, had cross winds, etc. and I was testing something else at the time.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I know setting internal cargo as an impact at least on hover performance. I tested it when I wanted to make transport missions. I made a trigger to set internal cargo 20 seconds after mission start, I got in a stable hover and as soon as the internal cargo got put in the helicopter dropped until I counteracted with increased collective.

Depending on what you're doing and where you're doing it, it can matter very much. With full fuel and no weapons I have had many places in Nevada where I can't hover until I'm down in ground effect. Even then my torque meter is just below max and I have probably 75% right anti- torque pedal in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk