CBU-97 and -105 parachutes fly into the wind with dynamic weather.

Shadow KT

When using dynamic weather, the parachute cluster will fly into the wind instead of getting blow away from it.

When using static weather, they act as they should with the wind, but with DYNAMIC, they fly towards the direction of where the wind is coming.

Inverted Wind Behaviour Dynamic Weather .trk

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Weird. I just watched your track, and the parachutes appear to be moving correctly with the wind:

The wind is coming from the water, blowing toward the land (so from the west, blowing to the east). The CBU-97 dropped slightly upwind of the targets (to the west), and deployed the parachutes.

Watching from the point of view of the vehicles, the parachutes drifted from the west to the east (they were drifting away from the water). In other words they drifted downwind, as would be expected.

So it looks like it's working correctly.

Edited by NoJoe

https://streamable.com/9piosx

Here is a video demonstrating the issue, filmed using the same track as in this thread, played on the latest open beta as of the 29th of April 2020.

I have also shown a comparison of absolutely the same mission, with static weather and manually entered wind direction which shows the parachutes flying in correct direction (opposite of what is shown in the track)

'Shadow'

In my own test using his track file converted back into a mission. I place both windsock and fire/smoke down at the location of the vehicles and also Batumi.

For Static weather, the briefing showed the direction that the wind was blowing TOWARDS and all items affected by the wind. Chutes, flags, windsock and smoke all reflected that direction.

For Dynamic weather, briefing showed the same direction for the wind, but all objects shown showed that that was the direction where the wind was coming FROM. Same objects, Flags, smoke, windsock and chutes.

From this experience, I would say the briefing was wrong that it is displayed the exact same way as static, but the wind is from the opposite direction instead.

Also, be aware, Dynamic Weather, the wind speed and direction is NOT the same across the whole map. The briefing will show you the report for where that aircraft is at spawn in. When I moved the aircraft over the tanks to start, the dynamic winds had shifted from 239 to 243. Not enough to reverse, but showing that there is a difference to be aware of.

Well, I do not believe the issues is with the briefing showing the wrong direction (maybe the actual one), as it is displaying what the wind direction should be.

With the A-10 you can even see the LASTE is correcting the release to the right, as to correct for a wind which would be blowing in a direction as indicated in the mission editor and briefing.

What ever it is... something is wrong.

'Shadow'

The first half of the video you posted shows the same thing: the parachutes are clearly drifting correctly with the dynamic wind, from west to east.

In the second half of the video you set up some static weather, and set the wind to "239". Note that the editor indicates the where the wind is blowing to, rather than where it's blowing from. So setting "239" will cause the wind to blow from northeast to southwest.

Which is also exactly what the parachutes did in the next drop.

My guess is maybe the confusion is about the editor's wind settings? I flew professionally in the US, so I'm used to the wind indicating where it's blowing from, like you are I'd guess (for example, I'm used to "239" meaning the wind is coming from the southwest, blowing to the northeast). But DCS's editor uses the opposite format.

If the Laste was using the same information in the briefing, it would be getting incorrect info, thus displaying the wrong correction. How accurate is your bombing aligning up as directed? If still off, this could be the reason.

Again, see for yourself, ALL objects are reacting to the wind the same way. So that would mean ALL objects are reacting incorrectly. Better reason is that the briefing is incorrect.

The first half of the video you posted shows the same thing: the parachutes are clearly drifting correctly with the dynamic wind, from west to east.

In the second half of the video you set up some static weather, and set the wind to "239". Note that the editor indicates the where the wind is blowing to, rather than where it's blowing from. So setting "239" will cause the wind to blow from northeast to southwest.

Which is also exactly what the parachutes did in the next drop.

My guess is maybe the confusion is about the editor's wind settings? I flew professionally in the US, so I'm used to the wind indicating where it's blowing from, like you are I'd guess (for example, I'm used to "239" meaning the wind is coming from the southwest, blowing to the northeast). But DCS's editor uses the opposite format.

You are missing the issue here, both briefings shows the same exact NAV Wind Direction, but the winds blow in opposite directions.

The briefing shows exactly the same NAV wind direction in both cases

If the Laste was using the same information in the briefing, it would be getting incorrect info, thus displaying the wrong correction. How accurate is your bombing aligning up as directed? If still off, this could be the reason.

Again, see for yourself, ALL objects are reacting to the wind the same way. So that would mean ALL objects are reacting incorrectly. Better reason is that the briefing is incorrect.

Okey, you are correct, it is the briefing, which is wrong. I just rechecked how wind barbs are read and the wind direction in the mission editor does match the one while flying the actual mission, BUT the briefing shows the wrong value.

So, to correct what the issue actually is..... When using dynamic weather, the briefing shows the wrong NAV Wind Direction.

'Shadow'

Can anyone tell which is the Dynamic weather briefing and which is the static? There is a difference but how many could tell which is which. Yet in game, the winds are in opposite directions:

4U7JqMQ.png

wUyArHt.png

Whether you want to say the wind is coming FROM or TOWARDS the indicated heading, it should be consistent. Or at least identify which is which clearly.

Top picture is static, because it shows for different altitudes, bottom is dynamic, as it only shows for at the ground. But I agree, that the majority of people, will not be able to tell the difference.

They both shows NAV Wind ! NAV Wind is the direction in which the wind is blowing TO.

Briefing shows same values, yet winds are in opposite directions. The briefing data for NAV Wind when using dynamic weather is wrong.

'Shadow'

Shahdoh KT,

I believe you on the NAV Wind explanation. Where can one find the explanation of what a NAV wind is referring to though? It would help many if this information was more readily available.

In any light, you have pointed out a major inconsistency and hopefully they will be able to correct it soon.

I've learned about Navigational Wind Direction in University, in my Navigation classes, taught by an ATC trainer.

Sadly, I have not found any quick reference to it on the internet so far, maybe it is just an eastern/russian thing.

So, here is the concept (as per my notebook for Navigation).... You have two types of wind directions. Navigational and Meteorological. Meteorological is what everyone is used to, i.e where the wind is blowing from, that's how meteorologist give wind direction.

What about navigational wind direction ? Well, see... when you are solving navigational problems, such as what heading you should be flying, so you can follow a given path when a wind is blowing from so and so, you combine vectors in what is called a wind triangle. When using vectors, they have a direction of travel and that direction is the heading at which the wind is blowing TO. This is where navigational wind comes from.

Every pilots has used navigational wind direction to calculate their flight plan in their small general aviation aircraft. Maybe the problem comes from translation in languages ? People have always used it, but maybe in English they just don't call it this way, instead, they would call it the wind vector.

See... whenever I first studied this, as the class was on navigation, we mostly solved navigational problems and pretty much exclusively used navigational wind. When I was first introduced to what everyone else is used to, i.e meteorological wind.... I too was confused about it, why would there be two definitions and I thought that meteorological wind direction made no sense.

I guess one came about from its ease of use when actually operating a ship or an aircraft, if th wind is 240, then you should be going 240 for take-off. On the other hand, you want nav wind if you are calculating wind corrections and so on.... Hope this has shine some light on the topic

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

The briefing data for NAV Wind when using dynamic weather is wrong.

I agree. I think this is what the bug is; not that the parachutes drift in the wrong direction. Hopefully ED will be able to get the wind indication in the briefing fixed. :thumbup:

Though you might be right, Shadoh. The title and first page of this bug report are a bit misleading.