Oakes combined cockpit build thread

Oakes

Instead of having a bunch of threads for my little cockpit build I though I'd make a combined one to post updates in etc

Here are the two previous threads:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=32054

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=32392

Update:

I've been working on the targeting panel and the collective head during Christmas, both are now fully functional.

The collective plate + thumbjoy etc will be painted black (or maybe I should just let the bare aluminum show and just paint the plate).

I use the analog thumbjoy to slew the Skvhal sensor, makes it much easier to be precise with the senor.

Below are some pictures of the collective head and the targeting panel + links to some youtube videos.

colhead1al3.jpg

colhead2sk5.jpg

colhead3em3.jpg

tarpanel1fx0.jpg

tarpanel2ka6.jpg

Some new vids on the targeting panel and the collective head.

/Oakes

Edited by Oakes
Added som pictures and text.
  • Like 3

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you have the 3rd party cockpit hardware tools? or are you using an epic controller of some sort? I guess i'm wondering how you are getting the keyboard signals to the game?

Home built i5 quadcore. dual ATI 4850 in xfire mode. 16GB ram Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM MFD's, windows 7 64 ultimate.. 40" primary screen, 19" secondary

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

do you have the 3rd party cockpit hardware tools? or are you using an epic controller of some sort? I guess i'm wondering how you are getting the keyboard signals to the game?

Nope, I use the Opencockpits interface + a custom Autohotkey script to generate keyboard inputs to the sim (the script reads the SIOC parameter changes and send appropriate keys to the sim).

Currently I get no data from the sim.......wish I could:cry:

Love the way that Collective seems to feel...

You've got to give us more pics, and some info dude.. I'm dying here..!

Just tell me what you need:)

Here are the drawings for the collective head (note: the measurements placements etc are not exactly up to the "standard", but since I know which edge etc to start from when I do the milling I simply placed measurements where I knew I needed them, cuts down on the calculating during fabrication )

/Oakes

collective_head_001.zip

Edited by Oakes

So, since you can't get any data from the sim, I noticed on your weapons master panel that you would have no way of getting rounds of ammo current or left for the LED display.. unless you assumed that you had 12 missiles for example then used a script to decrement the number based on your trigger presses and ammo feed settings... and hoped that everything meshed with what the sim says you have...

Home built i5 quadcore. dual ATI 4850 in xfire mode. 16GB ram Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Rudder, TrackIR 5, TM MFD's, windows 7 64 ultimate.. 40" primary screen, 19" secondary

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So, since you can't get any data from the sim, I noticed on your weapons master panel that you would have no way of getting rounds of ammo current or left for the LED display.. unless you assumed that you had 12 missiles for example then used a script to decrement the number based on your trigger presses and ammo feed settings... and hoped that everything meshed with what the sim says you have...

Correct unfortunately, hopefully the PCIP will solve this.....ED any news on the PCIP ?

But even without the feedback, it is so much nicer to switch from HE to AP with solid actual switch that with the mouse.

/Oakes

I'm very interested in the open cockpits stuff.... does anyone know of a good english document on how to interface it all together? I've checked the site and seen alot of "english" documentation.. , and I mean no disrespect at all to those of you that english is a second language.. I can't speak any other languages, so you have my respect. It's just that translating a very technical document into english sometimes makes it very very difficult to understand how things actually work, simply because of grammer and syntax.

Maybe the best thing to do is to just buy a master and usb card.. a few switches and just start playing around. I would like a little more explanation on how the autohotkey script can interface with the sioc script and how the sioc script sees the changes from the master card switches...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm very interested in the open cockpits stuff.... does anyone know of a good english document on how to interface it all together? I've checked the site and seen alot of "english" documentation.. , and I mean no disrespect at all to those of you that english is a second language.. I can't speak any other languages, so you have my respect. It's just that translating a very technical document into english sometimes makes it very very difficult to understand how things actually work, simply because of grammer and syntax.

Maybe the best thing to do is to just buy a master and usb card.. a few switches and just start playing around. I would like a little more explanation on how the autohotkey script can interface with the sioc script and how the sioc script sees the changes from the master card switches...

The english documentation is a little bit lacking but it is workable. I did what you suggested and bought a couple of cards and buttons etc and started experimenting. There are a couple of people on this forum who use the OC cards so you can get help here as well as the official OC forum.

I will post the script + instructions etc in a little while. I need to document some stuff + clean up the code etc before I do that though.

Somewhat simplified:

Switches etc are connected to a parameter in SIOC, i.e. you define in a file that parameter 23 is connected to the switch on physical input 45 (on the master card) as an example. If the switch is off parameter 23 is 0 and if the switch is on parameter 23 is 1. You do this for all switches

Then the OC software main program - SIOC - allows an external progam (my script) to connect through a TCP port to SIOC. You then tell SIOC which parameters you are interested in getting updates for (23 in this case) and whenever SIOC registers a change to such a parameter it will send a short message over TCP to you app with the parameter number and new value (i.e whenever you throw the switch SIOC will send the message that parameter 23 is now 1 or 0 depending on the position of the switch)

My script parses this message, checks which characters to send when parameter 23 is 1 (or 0). Characters are defined in a separate file.

/Oakes

any luck using losioc?, i dont have the opencockpit cards (yet) but there is a version for lockon, i would have guessed that it would be similar or easy enough to adapt for BS (he said without not really knowing much about

a. losioc

b. programing

c. opencocpit card usage

)

any luck using losioc?, i dont have the opencockpit cards (yet) but there is a version for lockon, i would have guessed that it would be similar or easy enough to adapt for BS (he said without not really knowing much about

a. losioc

b. programing

c. opencocpit card usage

)

LOSIOC will work with DCS series to.. All it actually does is to make a graphical interface for us that transform what we want to SIOC code..

And there's an english version looming in the horizon to acording to LeCreole..

LOSIOC Homepage: http://charles.contact.free.fr/screenshots.html

3rd Wing's thread on LOSIOC: http://www.3rd-wing.net/index.php?showtopic=6157

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have just tested the BETA version of LOSIOC v2.1 , but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the different language option yet.. It will probably be added in the full v2.1 release? (.. or so I hope LeCreole..)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

awsome work on your collective head...i had a very very difficult time with my collective...

i ended up making a 'sandwich' type mechanism..

i wish i did the 'pull cord' type of method were the collective is attached to some kind of belt, and friction is placed on that belt...

in time the belt can be replaced..

i placed a block of wood with rubber padding sandwiched between rubber pad on another layer of wood...in which i can adjust the tension of the sandwich...but one the rubber is smooth..there goes the resistance....but the rubber i picked out should last a for a bit..

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

LOSIOC will work with DCS series to.. All it actually does is to make a graphical interface for us that transform what we want to SIOC code..

And there's an english version looming in the horizon to acording to LeCreole..

LOSIOC Homepage: http://charles.contact.free.fr/screenshots.html

3rd Wing's thread on LOSIOC: http://www.3rd-wing.net/index.php?showtopic=6157

I made the script to get around some of the limitations of the SIOC keyemulator (200 characters max, no separate press/release commands , no separation between left/right alt, ctrl, shift keys....etc)

I hope this is just a temporary solution until we can send data directly back and forth between SIOC and DCS (no keyboard stuff at all) but doesn't LOSIOC require an updated export script (and/or other LUA files) also (so that all the DCS input/output stuff actually gets exported/imported from/to SIOC) to work with DCS?

/Oakes

awsome work on your collective head...i had a very very difficult time with my collective...

i ended up making a 'sandwich' type mechanism..

i wish i did the 'pull cord' type of method were the collective is attached to some kind of belt, and friction is placed on that belt...

in time the belt can be replaced..

i placed a block of wood with rubber padding sandwiched between rubber pad on another layer of wood...in which i can adjust the tension of the sandwich...but one the rubber is smooth..there goes the resistance....but the rubber i picked out should last a for a bit..

Thank you for you kind words.

At this point I do not have any collective brake, I'm thinking of doing it the Trigger way (with a hydraulic cylinder). Btw, Trigger, where did you get that cylinder + the solenoid?

/Oakes

Thank you for you kind words.

At this point I do not have any collective brake, I'm thinking of doing it the Trigger way (with a hydraulic cylinder). Btw, Trigger, where did you get that cylinder + the solenoid?

/Oakes

I got it from a friend of mine who scavenged the left overs after a production plant upgraded theyr automation.. They soplenoid valve has been replaced by a mechanical valve thay is activated by the Collective Brake Handle.. Got pictures coming up later today..

The valve i bought at TESS I seem to remember.. Yup.. it wass definately at TESS..!

I do actually have one more of those cylinders here though.. Why don't you PM me your adress and I'll send it to you.. Norway to Sweden isn't that far..;)

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

haha, i will but Oakes gets prio, i don't have anything build yet ;)

No. fighting now kids..!

He He.. I managed to get my hands on one more.. So you'de better give me an adress both of you..

.... NO RUNNING..!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oakes,

Please, help me about toggle switch in your collective:

the upper right one is toggle (up) and momentary (down), correctly?

In case the momentary is for Ka-50 Descent Mode.

This one in eBay meet meet these specifications?

http://cgi.ebay.com/6pcs-Latching-Momentary-On-Off-On-Toggle-Switch-B213_W0QQitemZ300274834835QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item300274834835&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I am confuse whit this: ON-OF(ON), what mean this (ON)?

In local stores I only find ON-OF (SPST) or ON-OF-ON (DPDT).

Thank you.

Sokol1_Br

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hi Sokol

Yes, that one will work. The (On) part means momentary => On-Off-(On) is the correct type needed of the Route/Decent switch on the collective.

What type of interface are you planning on using to connect the switches to DCS?

/Oakes

Oakes,

Thank you for explanation. Time to eBay shop. :thumbup:

I plan use Mjoy16 (DIY) circuit, or maybe BU0836.

I have two Mjoy16 and one BU0836.

Sokol1

I have been about to build Mjoy16, but if you buy bu0836 you can save money and it is just done. No work, and this baby works fine.

Steel Hotas Warthog + Hoffmans F16 rudders, Oculus Rift S, EVGA RTX3090, Core i7 4790K

Hangar: Ka50, A10C, A10A, A10CII, SU27, SU33, SU25, Av8BNA, Bf109K4, F16C, F86, FA18C, FW190D9, i-16, L39C, Mi8, MiG15, MiG19P, MiG21, P51D, Spitfire, SuperCarrier, Yak52, P47, F14, Mi24P, Me262?

Flying over CAU, NEV, NORM, SYR, CHNL, PER, ATL