One Page Lightning Quick Startup Checklist

wickedpenguin

1.02 Update 9/28/2009: I made some heavy flow revisions to the checklist after spending some time testing it. Essentially, I modified the button-push flow for better logic. As an example, in the older version, I'd have you start the APU, then jump right to the Engine generator and EEG switches, then jump back left to the Engine Fuel Cutoff and Rotor brake. Now it goes 1) APU start, 2) Fuel Cutoff/Rotor brake, and 3) then right to the Engine generators/EEGs. It works more smoothly.

1.01 Update 9/24/2009: I just revised the file with recommended changes and some minor corrections. Let me know if there's anything else. :)

After a little experimentation, I've come up with a single-page, no-frills lightning fast startup checklist for the Black Shark.

I guess you could call it the moral antithesis to the many full-fledged checklists floating around. :) I use those checklists as well and they've been extremely helpful in exploring all of the Black Shark's functionality.

However, there are times where I just want to get in the helo and go wheels up as soon as possible. That's why I came up with this checklist, for those times where I don't want to be testing warning lamps and testing fire extinguishing systems while my squadmates are racing off to battle. In those situations, I just wanted to fire up what was necessary to get into the fight.

In practice, I've found this checklist much faster that the LWin-Home function. It's also quite satisfying and reinforces your knowledge of the cockpit equipment since you're flipping the switches and setting things up yourself. Consider it a compromise between the "full" checklists out there, and the LWin+Home function. And I've yet to have any issue with it in flight or combat.

So, there you have it. Let me know if there's anything vital I've missed (I created this using only my memory and the DCS:BS manual) so that I can add it in. The file is attached as a PDF below.

BlackShark_LightningChecklist_v1.02.pdf

Edited by wickedpenguin
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice nice nice checklist! very clean, very nice.

2 comments (these are just my opinions) .

1) "APU is powered up, with needle pegging “6” on the dial. Let’s get the radios on and Left Engine started."

I think this only adds confusion. Just say start left engine or something.

2) There is no APU fuel pump, it should say APU shutoff valve.

Other then these things, very nice job!! well done!

Nice nice nice checklist! very clean, very nice.

2 comments (these are just my opinions) .

1) "APU is powered up, with needle pegging “6” on the dial. Let’s get the radios on and Left Engine started."

I think this only adds confusion. Just say start left engine or something.

2) There is no APU fuel pump, it should say APU shutoff valve.

Other then these things, very nice job!! well done!

Glad you like it, and thanks for the input! :) I'll adjust those two things you mentioned.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very nice, thank you so much!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wicked Penguin, this looks great. I'd been doing a startup resembling this already, but I kept missing items. I was thinking of making a super-short checklist and here you've gone and made a nicely formatted one already! Thank you very much, it's already printed ;-)

I've had a look at your new version, you fixed the apu fuel issue.

But have you done anything to those long titles?

They are like this:

1) While APU is powering up prep the engines for start…

2) Let’s get the radios on and Left Engine started.

3) While the Left Engine spools, finish the Right Panel and Wall Panel functions, and (if needed) top off your helo. Make the best use of your time.

4) Left Engine is online. Let’s start the Right Engine and finish off the Left, Center, Overhead, and Auxiliary Panels

5) Right Engine should be powered up, and both Tachometer needles should be steady at around 80%. Let’s finish up.

However, I would make them like this, so it looks less cludder****ed..

1) Engine prep

2) Left Engine + Radios

3) Right/Wall Panel, Fuel

4) Right Engine + Center/Overhead/Auxiliary Panels

5) Final

This is just my suggestion. When trying to start the Shark up reallyreallyreally fast, I would think to make all the texts as short and as clean as possible. This way you can quickly look up where you are and where you need to search for buttons-to-press.

Hope this makes sense :joystick:

Thank you, I'll give this a try! I use the quickstart now, but have wanted to start doing it manually... this may be just the incentive I needed.

EDIT: This is great! It's really satisfying to fire everything up yourself. As a guy, I just love knobs and switches. (Just ask my girlfriend who is forever saying, "damn it, those aren't knobs to adjust!")

I sat in my truck before driving home and went through all the motions of the checklist.

Edited by Doc. Caliban

[ Asus Rampage II Extreme | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz| 12GB DDR3 | 3-Way SLI (3x GTX280OC 1GB) | 300GB Raptor | SupremeFX X-Fi 7.1 audio | 1,200W Thermaltake Toughpower PSU | 30" LCD @ 2560x1600 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR 5 | CoolerMaster HFC 332 case ]