Campaign: Georgian Havoc

igormk

This campaign is made to be part of "Official ED Campaign Creation Competition". You can see all the details in the campaign introduction and briefings. There is total of 15 staged missions. We tried to make good briefings and interesting and non-repeating scenarios in each mission. There are a lot of recorded communications, and like in real life you will have to listen carefully because, sometimes you will be retasked in air from your original task. Also you will have to take a good look at the mission briefings, since many crucial information are exactly there.

I wouldn’t call this campaign “expert difficulty”, but in some missions you will have to be able to enter new point in your PVI-800 based on received coordinates (very easy thing to do), or edit a new point in your ABRIS according to received bearing and distance from a known point (also easy to do).

Therefore, I would recommend that you always have a paper and a pencil with you if you fly this campaign.

I hope you will like it and enjoy in it (or you can completely hate it :cry:), but still there may be bugs in it, since testing time was extremely short, and when you test something you made your self, a lot of bugs can pass undetected. Therefore, be free to write your comments and notes, and if needed, V1.1 of the campaign can be produced.

Team participated in the campaign:

Igor “=MAF=Mongoose” Chkorov

Ilija “=MAF=Loaded Dice” Panov

Dragan “=MAF=Dragan” Cvetich

Stefco "=MAF=Hercul" Tashovski

You can download the campaign here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/31869366...Havoc_v1.0.rar

If you If you encounter some problems or find some bugs, please report it to me. Thanks!!!

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No bug reports or in depth critiques from me yet, however I'd like to say that so far this campaign has been an absolute blast! I believe I'm 50% or 60% done, and each mission has been very immersive, very fun and challenging, and overall just very impressive. I can already say that this is my favorite BS campaign to date, and to me it has proven that we don't need a dynamic campaign engine to get a high level of immersion. That alone is quite a feat.

SPOILERS BELOW

Right now I'm at the mission where we've just taken the Georgian air field, and we're defending the Georgian counter attack with 2x Ka50's, 4x Mi24's, and 2x Su25T's. My only complaint so far is that I haven't heard from that mean old Lt. Col (I think he was a Lt. Col? I'm at work right now and can't check..) from mission 2. I must positively commend whoever did the voice acting for him, I actually felt quite intimidated! I was hoping to see a lot more of him throughout the campaign. Besides him, I have nothing but praise for all the other voice acting in the campaign.

Well now that I've written this much, i might as well go ahead and give an actual critique. There is one thing about the later missions that left me longing a bit for the style of the first few missions, which is the overall believability level. Basically the first few missions felt completely plausible, I felt like my experience was not too far off from what a real Ka-50 pilot would face in a war with Georgia. However, the further I went into the campaign, the less I felt this way. For example, I could never imagine that in real life a helicopter formation would go and single handedly capture an enemy airfield, and then land there immediately after capturing it. I don't have a problem with destroying the airfield's AD and then letting ground troops roll in while I RTB, but landing at a hostile airfield before it's been thoroughly swept and secured by ground forces just seems totally unrealistic.And then, on the mission I'm on now (which I'm having to refly), I was taken out of it when my wingmate and I were single handedly taking out 2+ mechanized company's worth of Georgian troops, with no real threat to ourselves. Don't get me wrong, the missions are still very enjoyable and very well done, but those two in particular lack the high level of (admittedly percieved) authenticity of the earlier missions.

END SPOILER

Well, so much for no in-depth critiques! Got a little bit carried away there. Again, awesome campaign, my favorite so far, and I highly highly recommend everyone to try this one out. This is the first time I've had fun in single player with this game in about 6 months. Congratulations on a job very well done, and I hope you and your team have more in store for us in the future!

Slug88, thank you very much on your nice words of the campaign, but even more on the critiques.

That is exactly what I need to make the campaign even better!

So far you are pointing on some issues, I was having doubts too.

First let me say that I was trying to get best balance between reality and gameplay. Sometimes it is hard to achieve both. I also took in mind previous pools on ED forum where people were voting on how they would like a typical mission in DCS: BS to look like (can’t find the exact thread). Things like would they like to fly 30minutes to target area (realistic), or few minutes (unrealistic)… Precisely on that mission where you are tasked to capture an enemy airfield, and then land there immediately after capturing it, yeah, completely unrealistic! But I was thinking that probably most of the people would hate to fly back all the way to base after mission success. Personally I also support RTB after mission success. Let’s see what the others will think on this one.

On the mission you are now flying where you have to stop Georgian counter attack after you took Senaki airport, quote with no real threat to ourselves, you probably showed discipline on received orders. ;) Other way you would probably face some unpleasant triggers.

He, he, he, I’m glad that you like the mean old Ltc (call sign “200”). That is actually me, and you will hear more from “him” in this campaign.

Finally, I’m VERY glad that you like Georgian Havoc. Keep on flying (I’m impressed that you succeeded to finish so much of the campaign in so short time) I’m sure that you will find more interesting missions as you go further, and most important, don’t hesitate to share your critiques!

Salute!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On the mission you are now flying where you have to stop Georgian counter attack after you took Senaki airport, quote with no real threat to ourselves, you probably showed discipline on received orders. ;) Other way you would probably face some unpleasant triggers.

Hah, point taken. I made a point of reading over each briefing very carefully ever since that Ltc reminded me that flying an attack helicopter is serious business :D. Glad to know that my caution was warranted.

He, he, he, I’m glad that you like the mean old Ltc (call sign “200”). That is actually me, and you will hear more from “him” in this campaign.

You know, that mission gave me an idea, it would be interesting to fly a whole campaign in the role of wingman. I can imagine that it would be difficult to get an ai Ka50 to carry out some of the complex actions that the flight lead would have to carry out in a typical mission, though.

Finally, I’m VERY glad that you like Georgian Havoc. Keep on flying (I’m impressed that you succeeded to finish so much of the campaign in so short time)

To be honest, I also surprised myself with how far I got in a single sitting. It's a testament to the quality of the campaign that it kept me engaged to the point where I didn't want to quit, even after several hours of flying. Let's just say that last night I made a bargain with myself, and traded a few hours of sleep for a few extra missions :D.

slug... you have a great idea there... i think it would be quite amazing to fly as a wingman where you are ordered to perform a recon - scary all hell.

mind you, getting with a solid online group could perform the same function.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

i think it would be quite amazing to fly as a wingman where you are ordered to perform a recon - scary all hell.

I invite you to fly online with Panzer - preferably on mission he has designed. You don't know fear until you hear him ask you over TS (with that special tone) to be point-man while he does overwatch. :)

On this campaign I won't comment yet, except to say that I really like what I've seen so far. Can't review a book until you've read it through and it's the same with campaigns. :D

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

...it would be interesting to fly a whole campaign in the role of wingman. I can imagine that it would be difficult to get an ai Ka50 to carry out some of the complex actions that the flight lead would have to carry out in a typical mission, though.

Uhhh, it would be very difficult, and probably too sterile. I suggest, as dooom said, joining a good squadron, of finding a solid online group and directly communicating via Ventrilo or TeamSpeak would be much more realistic, and fun!

On this campaign I won't comment yet, except to say that I really like what I've seen so far. Can't review a book until you've read it through and it's the same with campaigns. :D

Absolutely! :music_whistling:

Any plan to do a multiplayer version?

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with creation of MP missions/campaigns. I know that there are some differences in triggers, and mission goals. Actually on couple occasions I modified some of the missions simply by changing helicopter's status from "player" to "client" and by adding couple more "clients", and it worked. But I'm not sure is that all I have to change in order to work properly...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First of all - thanks for the campaign. But - why on english?) Air Comms are nice. Its only that, i cant understand - georgian accent?) I`d flew just first mission - good in all. Pretty realistic - its living air space and comms. Unfortunately there are some bugs:

1 - Train, when you are flying over Sukhumi and see ally fleet. The train is right in the water!

2. The firing range is not on 1 o`clock, as said Mi-8 pilot, its on 11 from mission route.

First of all - thanks for the campaign. But - why on english?) Air Comms are nice. Its only that, i cant understand - georgian accent?) I`d flew just first mission - good in all. Pretty realistic - its living air space and comms. Unfortunately there are some bugs:

1 - Train, when you are flying over Sukhumi and see ally fleet. The train is right in the water!

2. The firing range is not on 1 o`clock, as said Mi-8 pilot, its on 11 from mission route.

Hardcore, related to english conversations, uhhh we had a lot of problems recording it. First of all we are not professional actors, and second it was problem to find so many people who speaks english, and were willing to participate at the same time. So options were:

1. English - as most frequently spoken language in my county (with Macedonian accent) - as it is now

2. Macedonian (allmost nobody would understand it)

3. No recorded communications (I wouldn't like it)

About bugs:

1 - Train: I didn't put any train in the mission, so probably it is game's bug,

2 - Mi-8 pilot said: "Left 1 o'clock" which is oftenly used for "11 o'clock" in breavity terms.

Thanks for your notes, and keep me informed! :thumbup:

Edited by igormk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More end users with zip instead of rar? Both Winzip and 7zip happily open rar archives for you.

(Now give me a tarball archive and I'll be happy. :D )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

igormk

Did`nt you think, what fourth mission (when alert call is received) is too hard to play?) There are so many AA defense on player`s base and they are probably careless. And feels, what nobody on 24 hours duty in it. I`m understand - artillery fire is massive, but the time before it is enough to shoot some enemy aircraft)

No more downloads available. could someone upload again?

Thx

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

No more downloads available. could someone upload again?

Thx

I don't get that message, but since I don't have a paid Rapidshare account, I still haven't been able to download it, as it says too many Free users are downloading it now. I have been trying since last night.

Igor, I would gladly host this file for you in my web server, I don't have bandwidth limits. Just let me know.

Edited by miguez

2 - Mi-8 pilot said: "Left 1 o'clock" which is oftenly used for "11 o'clock" in breavity terms.

Are you sure? I have never heard "Left 1 o'clock" as opposed to "11 o'clock". I think this will cause a lot of confusion...

Edited by miguez

For those with download issues: http://bluefire.dnsalias.com/~tats/files/Georgian_Havoc_v1.0%20(1).rar

igormk, I hope that's allright. I'll take it down if you object.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

OK, just finished the first mission. Here are my comments:

SPOILER ALERT

•  
  • First off, the immersion factor is very, very good! I love the chatter from the Mi-8 guys, "...now I fly this fat lady", haha, that was really good!

• In the Mission Goal, you refer to the Mi-8s as 307, while in picture 5 of 6 in says "302".

• I noticed that at about 8 minutes after the start of the mission, two Su-25 land, but it seems they land in the opposite direction than everybody else took off in.

• When approaching Gudauta, I am asked to report 2 minutes from the airport. Even though this seems realistic, I don't think I have a way of doing that, so it feels a little strange...

• I love the radio-quality of the 307 radio calls, very good job! I like the accents too, it helps in my immersion.

So, now I am hooked, and am going to go fly mission 2!

igormk

Did`nt you think, what fourth mission (when alert call is received) is too hard to play?) There are so many AA defense on player`s base and they are probably careless. And feels, what nobody on 24 hours duty in it. I`m understand - artillery fire is massive, but the time before it is enough to shoot some enemy aircraft)

Well yes, 4th mission is a bit hard. Maybe you noticed, but the attack starts with SEAD aircraft, and they take down most of base’s AD (element of surprise). AAA in the base is very active, and MOSTLY they take down some of enemies. Then you are there to take off ASAP and to contribute in base’s defense. Also there are another fixed and rotary friendly aircraft coming in to help… Still, from my experience every time you play this mission it is different. Only once I didn’t even had to take off since our AD shot everything down.

Are you sure? I have never heard "Left 1 o'clock" as opposed to "11 o'clock". I think this will cause a lot of confusion...

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_008a.html

Check the last group of examples before Conclusion, and more precisely Example 2.

But, since that radio call is mostly making confusion, it will be changed in v1.1

For those with download issues: http://bluefire.dnsalias.com/~tats/files/Georgian_Havoc_v1.0%20(1).rar

Sure, sure EtherealN, I’m fine with it! I was just thinking how to do the upload, so thank you! :thumbup:

OK, just finished the first mission. Here are my comments:

SPOILER ALERT

• First off, the immersion factor is very, very good! I love the chatter from the Mi-8 guys, "...now I fly this fat lady", haha, that was really good!
  • In the Mission Goal, you refer to the Mi-8s as 307, while in picture 5 of 6 in says "302".
  • I noticed that at about 8 minutes after the start of the mission, two Su-25 land, but it seems they land in the opposite direction than everybody else took off in.
  • When approaching Gudauta, I am asked to report 2 minutes from the airport. Even though this seems realistic, I don't think I have a way of doing that, so it feels a little strange...
  • I love the radio-quality of the 307 radio calls, very good job! I like the accents too, it helps in my immersion.

So, now I am hooked, and am going to go fly mission 2!

• First, thanks! :D

• Yap! Mistake! It will also be changed to 307 in v1.1.
  • Mostly when there is no wind (like in this mission) pilots can request to land on both sides of runway. From the other side, in this mission I didn’t influence Su-25s to land form this side – it is their decision!
  • You can see ETA relative to your present airspeed on your ABRIS (if you choose Gudauta airport for active waypoint). Air traffic controllers or FACs are often asking pilots to report ETA or distance to waypoint.
  • Most of the accents came naturally in this campaign.

OK, as far as I see, first couple of missions need only minor changes. I'm waiting to hear comments on later missions, since they are getting more and more complicated, increasing possibility for bugs.

So, I'm looking forward to your Feed Back!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

THX!

cheers mate!

MOBO ASUS P5QL-Pro, Intel Q9550 2.8Ghz @ 3.5 GHZ, 8GB DDR2 Crucial, XFX HD6950, TM Warthog, TIR4 /w Pro-Clip, 24 In Samsung Syncmaster LED, 2 X Cheapo 8in LCD's for MFD's and TM MFCD's attached to it, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Mostly when there is no wind (like in this mission) pilots can request to land on both sides of runway. From the other side, in this mission I didn’t influence Su-25s to land form this side – it is their decision!

So maybe set a small bit of wind to force a side? I chose to takeoff from a hover over the runway, and was a bit surprised whet they came up towards me :pilotfly:

You can see ETA relative to your present airspeed on your ABRIS (if you choose Gudauta airport for active waypoint). Air traffic controllers or FACs are often asking pilots to report ETA or distance to waypoint.

Oh, I understand how I can tell how long, my question was I was asked to report 2 minutes, I had no real way to do that!

Loving this campaign, great job!

OK, just finished missions two and three.

Mission 2 was really cool, the realism keeps going up. I started to panic as I couldn't find the group of containers at first, and thought the tough Ltc would ground me, but I finally found it, then couldn't get a lock for some reason, fired anyways, still afraid to fail the mission, halfway through the flight I tried another lock and it worked (the aspect ratio was good anyways, the Shkval aim was not moving much, it would have been OK without the lock), hit the right container, and watched the lead play with his rockets. Again, the sense of realism was definitely there for me! Awesome job!

Mission 3 was next. First off, in the Mission Briefing, under the ROE, the text "you are not authorized to cross the line of separation at no prize", I think the word "prize" is not the best one for this meaning, maybe "at no time"?

When we arrived at the LZ, I spotted what looked to be a BMP-1 and some infantry on the other side of the lake, so my slow down was done sideways, as we moved south towards our landing zone, so I could face East and keep them on my nose just in case. Still, I was taken by surprise when they fired, but in a matter of three or four seconds I was firing the cannon. Good thing I didn't hit them, as I then got the radio message from Pogrom saying not to engage. Nice job on this one! by the way, when we arrive at the lake, the Mi-8 calls "205, heads out" I understand the meaning, but in English, maybe it would be better to say "205, heads up" or something similar.

The next missions will have to wait until tomorrow.

Very good job to the team so far!