MLRS Launchers Cause Massive Lag

Bluedrake42

There might be a way to tweak the explosions to have less 'particles' and 'streamers' which in turn could boost FPS, look in \Bazar\Effects\expl\ folder and open boom1.lua with Notepad++

lines 16 and 17 change to:

NumStreamers = 30

NumParticles = 40

it won't look as pretty, but the framerates will be higher when there are lots of simultaneous explosions.

Edited by Mustang

• 3 weeks later...

which version's does this effect? Which version are you running BlueDrake42

Plz create a signature with hardware specs and version numbers you are running this will help others too:)

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

• 5 months later...

could you possibly edit the streamers and particles lines each of the smoke files in the effects folder?

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6 | BeQuiet DarkRockPro 3 | MSI GTX 980 | G.Skill 16GB 1866MHz | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

Core i7 3610QM @2.3GHz | GTX 660M 2GB | 8GB 1600MHz | MSI GE-60 0ND laptop

sorry, first post. this comment is just to make sure my signature has been added right

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6 | BeQuiet DarkRockPro 3 | MSI GTX 980 | G.Skill 16GB 1866MHz | ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB

thats too bad. the only time my game seems to lag is anywhere close to smoke

Yea, when an MLRS fires I usually get 1 frame every 2 seconds.

It's the kind of thing that should get a quick fix and not wait months for an update.

I'm positive it has to do with the smoke effects coming out of the rockets. If someone could find out where those smoke effects are coming from, we could reduce their system load.

As far as I can tell, the reason the MLRS cause such system slowdowns is because of the smoke coming out of the back of the launcher system when being fired. You can see a massive white cloud building up behind the launcher unit. The more rockets fired, the thicker the cloud.

And that's when our systems start showing 1 frame every 2 seconds.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause that kind of slowdown would be the trajectory calculations for each rocket, but I doubt that's the issue here.

I'm not really familiar with the file structure used in DCS. I've been scouring files to see if I can find someplace to reduce the number of particles in those white rocket clouds.

if the smoke is controlled on the on the vehicle file, there should be helpers that declare the smoke location. Deleting these helpers should eliminate the smoke all together then. Similar to the tweaked model I uploaded that eliminates smoke from chimneys. Another theory is that the smoke is controlled from the rocket model side. Third theory is that it is hardcoded like missile smoke

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

I tested this a long time ago, and it's only a firing / exploding smoke issue only. (this bug is well known)

Rocket calculations, even if they're wrong at long distance, doesn't cause this issue.

It's the same issue with Destroyers/Battleship canons smoke (if you look close enough)

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)