New campaign, Operation Kano, hope you like AFAC's

jers

Operation Kano was born from wanting to see the AFAC role used a little more with OA-10's. So far I've finished the first mission, and it involves CAS, marine interdiction, and most importantly, the need of a player AFAC. From the mission briefing (You are playing the role of Hoggit Wing, the squadron I created when I created this mission, come check us out at http://reddit.com/r/hoggit):

SITUATION

A Georgian coup spurred by elements of Al-Qaeda present in Nalchick have centralized power in central Caucasus, with elements in control of parts of Northern Azerbaijan and Southern Russia. Complete surprise was achieved by unprecedented numbers of terrorist cells spread across entire region.

Turkey repelled attacks earlier in the day stemming from Western Azerbaijan and are committed to assisting NATO forces in eliminating the threat.

American squadrons including Hoggit have retreated into Southern Russia and are receiving tactical and staging aid from Russian authorities to help prevent further spread into Russia.

Hoggit is tasked with securing the southernmost regions of Russia and establishing a supply foothold in Northern Georgia until reinforced. To achieve this the port of Tuapse must be liberated from insurgent control so supplies from Turkey can arrive.

OBJECTIVES

Hoggit is tasked with 3 main objectives for our initial counterattack.

Support advance units (CALLSIGN HAMMER) who came under attack while setting up FOB LONDON. OVERVIEW

Destroy C&C center found by advance units to render enemy forces in the area ineffective. RECON

Destroy cargo ships carrying heavy weapons in advance of ground forces taking port city of Tuapse.

TARGET

DETAIL

1) Advance elements were tasked with setting up a FOB at the base of the Caucas mountains to provide a reinforce/resupply area for units tasked with retaking Sochi airport from rebel forces.

They are currently under attack from mortar and dismounted cav to the south and reinforcements are steaming in via helicopter and transport elements.

AFAC: you may contact JTAC AXEMAN on 32.00 FM when at IP to receive tasking and be ready to mark targets and direct fire for the rest of the flight.

2) C&C was found about 6 miles southwest of the advance unit's position. Hoggit must render this area ineffective to the enemy. This will be achieved by destroying the communication tower at the CP to prevent enemy communications, and destroying the fuel trucks stationed there to minimize the effectiveness as a staging area that can threaten our advance units. Directly South of the CP is a small village with civilians present, take extra care to attack only east and west in and out and keep all fire as north of the villiage as possible.

3) A ground assault is planned to retake the port town of Tuapse to establish a supply line between Turkey and coalition forces in Southern Russia. There are cargo ships there hailing from Southern Georgia that are carrying heavy weapons that can be used in defense of the city during out attack. The ships must be eliminated. Refer to the briefing images of the ships to destroy, ALL OTHER SHIPS MUST BE IGNORED UNLESS YOU ARE FIRED UPON.

AFAC ROLE

This mission requires someone to take the AFAC role.

Your job as the AFAC will be to coordinate with the ground forces, and direct all ordinance loading and release.

This means you have to choose what everyone is carrying. Your mission is CAS, and you will be subject to restrictions for attack direction, and entering your attack runs from an IP designated from the ground JTAC. Your mission involves putting fire down near friendly and civilian troops, keep this in mind. The order of the day will be Type 3, so you don't need eyes on target or the attacking plane to authorize release, just ensure that all restrictions are known, and are being followed.

Knowing how to enter CDU offsets will help you tremendously for determining the IP for your initial CAS attacks.

CAS ROLE

This mission features 4 supporting aircraft for the ground forces. You will all have HAMMER's position programmed into your CDU as well as the IP for entering the area. The IP for attack runs will not be preprogrammed, you will be under the direction of Enfield for that information.

You are not authorized for any ordinance release without the express permission of the AFAC unless you are acting in Air to Air self defense.

Download

Part 1, OP London, is available for download at http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/231347/ once it's approved by ED, until then you can get it at http://logbook.hoggit.us/static/missions/OpKano1.miz

Edited by jers
  • Like 2

hey jers,

to my understanding, CAS is a combat role, AFAC is a controller role. How can I mash up both? I aim for realism.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks for sharing...

hey jers,

to my understanding, CAS is a combat role, AFAC is a controller role. How can I mash up both? I aim for realism.

Same, very confused by this description. Does not make a lot of sense to me.

What exactly is the players role? AFAC, CAS or both?

Cheers

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

Thanks for sharing...

Same, very confused by this description. Does not make a lot of sense to me.

What exactly is the players role? AFAC, CAS or both?

Cheers

np. exactly... because I don't see myself doing multitasking in a multi threat environment, chiefly because its either too different (AFAC is merely eye in the sky, point to shoot there), and CAS is the trigger man.

With that said, I think OP meant AFAC for scouting targets and then shifting role to CAS to strike the discovered targets. I mean both entities have entirely different loadouts as well. I suggest the following for the OP:

Delay the mission until FC3 is out, so A-10A can act as AFAC (with properly used binos that is) or even strike with A-10C. But that is just me.

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Is it possible this is a MP mission? Separate roles for AFAC and attack? I haven't downloaded yet so could be way off base.

WH_Blaster (Larry) :beer:

US Air Force (Retired, 1961-1981)

Join us for fun with the DCS series and other games at the War Hawks Squad website ... we are a mature gaming group that enjoys realism and having fun! http://war-hawks.net

System: i7=950 @ 3.3 GHz, GA-X58-UDR3 MB, 6GB RAM, GTX770, 256GB system SSD, 128GB gaming SSD, TIR5, TM HOTAS WH, HannsG 28-in, Acer 23-in touch screen.

Sorry for the confusion guys, this is a MP mission.

The AFAC is a player controlled OA-10. The remaining player slots are CAS A-10's. It's recommended you play with a group you can plan this stuff out beforehand if you want to play it straight to the briefing (All ordinance delivery is at the control of the AFAC player in the OA-10)

How can I mash up both? I aim for realism.

Last two sections in the mission brief - this is a MP mission with 5 slots: One for AFAC, four for CAS. We flew this last Saturday and had a great time. The concept worked out quite well.

Nice work again Jers; I'm looking forwarded to Kano II and am thrilled to see some missions bubbling out of /r/hoggit.

Edit: doh, I see jers already answered ;)

Sorry for the confusion guys, this is a MP mission.

The AFAC is a player controlled OA-10. The remaining player slots are CAS A-10's. It's recommended you play with a group you can plan this stuff out beforehand if you want to play it straight to the briefing (All ordinance delivery is at the control of the AFAC player in the OA-10)

No problem. Looking forward to it. This is very nice considering the stock lack of crystal clear AFAC roles... Mostly BAI and CAS or CSAR.

Ok cool, with no mention of multiplayer and having 'campaign' in the title i assumed it was a start of a single player campaign.

Thanks for sharing you mission.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if I'm missing something. When I unzip the file there is no .miz file.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down