worth to wait for Z97 boards?

As I'm doing more and more research on my gaming computer, my friend who works in the computer industry is telling me to wait for the Z97 chipset boards that should hit around April of this year.

Granted I know nothing yet about the technical aspects of the board, but I heard it doesn't really offer a performance gain between the Z86 boards. But, it is about future proofing your computer because it can support N.2? Not sure what is that but I believe he mentioned is the next generation of hard drives that transfers 2x faster than SSD.

Curious about anyone else who is looking to buy a new mother board if they heard something similar and worth to wait to get the new 9 series.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is no such thing as a "future proof" computer, part or technology. "Future proofing" is great marketing tool meant to cover one of the major concerns of the consumer who cannot chew on the idea that his/her brand new system is basically old tech right out of the box. It's all about what's available and stable NOW and/or what you need to get the job done at the moment. Give it year or two, every computer technology / advancement is completely obsolete anyway.

That's the nature of the IT market. The best strategy is to upgrade every other CPU/mobo/GPU cycle.

There is nothing wrong with Z87/Haswell/GTX7xx/R2xx systems. Get the system based on the current mainstream technology and pass on the next advancement (z97 etc). Upgrade after that. Or start with Z97 and do the same. Mind you, you'll have to wait for that brand new platform to get stable after announced spring / early summer release, which means sometime around Christmas this year or even later.

Edited by danilop

...the next generation of hard drives that transfers 2x faster than SSD...

Bullsh*t of the year. Today's fastest hard-drives have maximum sequential r/w-speed 100-150MB/s (and this only on outer cylinders, it is not constant over the whole hard-drive capacity). SSD up to 500MB/s (which is pretty close to the limit of SATA 6gbit/s). You really believe suddenly someone comes with drives having transfer speed up to 1TB/s? How do you want to achieve this? Increasing rotational-speed by factor 10 (100k rpm and more)? Or increasing hard-drive storage density ten times? Come on, man. Use your brain!

• Like 1

Bullsh*t of the year. Come on, man. Use your brain!

No need for the personal insults, he was merely asking a question from what he had heard. If you do a bit of googling its is true that z97 boards will support m.2 pcie,solid state at speeds up to 1GB/s, note the capital B, nearly twice current max.

To the OP that tech will be at premium prices for a couple of years, unless money is no object I recommend just going with current tech.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/specs-and-highlights-of-intels-9-series-chipset-revealed/

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

What game, assuming this is a gaming machine only, would benefit from that kind of drive speed anyway? Pretty much nothing that exists now. By the time such speeds are needed, the OP will likely be ready to upgrade again anyway.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No need for the personal insults, he was merely asking a question from what he had heard. If you do a bit of googling its is true that z97 boards will support m.2 pcie,solid state at speeds up to 1GB/s, note the capital B, nearly twice current max.

To the OP that tech will be at premium prices for a couple of years, unless money is no object I recommend just going with current tech.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/anton-shilov/specs-and-highlights-of-intels-9-series-chipset-revealed/

OMG, saying a bullsh*t is bullsh*t is no personal insult. Neither incouraging someone to use sound brain...

BTW, check original post. It was not about 2x faster SSD, but "...the next generation of HARD DRIVES that transfers 2x faster than SSD...". That is simply impossible. It is much easier to increase speed of SSD, than hard-drives...

Concerning SSD, for consumer-models sata 6gbit/s becomes limit. But you can overcome it even today, if you use pcie-attached SSD (either directly as SSD/PCIE add-on card, or using PCIE-controller). I'm having ~1.2 GB/s with 6xSSD in raid10 array (on server). Quite possible even with today's technology. All you need is a good controller, with at least pcie 4x interface. Even v2.0 is enough (~500MB/s per lane). No need to wait for next chipset just because of that...