1.2 6DOF

Unfortunately it's only for the Ka-50, the first cockpit that was built with this technology in mind. The other cockpits are made for one camera position only, and shifting the view would reveal gaps and texture distortions, as well as HUD misalignments. They would have to be redone for the most part to be 6DOF compatible, which isn't an option due to time constraints.

Caretaker

ED Beta Test Team

I can´t help it, such statements always make me tick off...:icon_evil

There is no such thing as "time constraints"!

We´re rather talking about financial issues.

If there was more money there would be more coders to hire and more could be accomplished in less time.:(

God, I wish flightsims had sales numbers like FPS or WoW, I wish ED were all millionaires and we would get whatever we dream of in software quality and content...:icon_supe

Anyone here won some lottery jackpot recently and got some surplus bucks to donate to ED?

I shure would...;)

PS.: Sorry for OT rant.

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

NOOO, we dont want all of ED to become millionaires. They would all retire and go live in the Bahamas, leaving us with nothing.

I have been playing a lot of flight sim 04 and it is just so natural to move to the left/right to look around the frame/struts in a cockpit to get an un obstructed view. You can also peer over the side almost putting your head out of the cockpit.

I have lost count how many times I have tried this in an A-10 or a SU25 to get a better view of the ground and to look around, only to find the head stays almost static.

I am not sure how I coped with FS before I had a track IR (Xmas pressy), and how I would cope with out 6 DOF.

I am very much looking forward to it in BS, just wish it would also be done for the others (especially the ground pounders)

(Wasnt there a poll around a while ago asking if we minded texture problems if they included 6 DOF for the vanilla aircraft? Was it also an official poll, or just one us mere mortals made?)

• ED Team

But for the positive side of things:

Any new flyable that ED would create in the future, would be at the same level of the KA-50, with 6DOF cockpit, high detail model, and AFM, if i'm not mistaken. ;)

Woodstock said - If there was more money there would be more coders to hire and more could be accomplished in less time.

I have worked on Software projects for the last 25 years (radar, ATC, Telephone exchanges, military Comms, etc) from small (10 man-months) to huge (500 man-years) and you are correct up to a point Woody. It isn't quite as simple as that, adding more people also makes things more difficult - look out for a book called the Mythical Man-month by Fred Brooks

http://www.forum2.org/tal/books/mythman.html

It was written 30 years ago and is just as true today as it was then.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

I can´t help it, such statements always make me tick off...:icon_evil

There is no such thing as "time constraints"!

We´re rather talking about financial issues.

If there was more money there would be more coders to hire and more could be accomplished in less time.:(

God, I wish flightsims had sales numbers like FPS or WoW, I wish ED were all millionaires and we would get whatever we dream of in software quality and content...:icon_supe

Anyone here won some lottery jackpot recently and got some surplus bucks to donate to ED?

I shure would...;)

PS.: Sorry for OT rant.

True only to some extend.

Compare Brook's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks'_law) and its meaning for big software development.

Adding up software developers does not necessarily lead to proportional faster development, but maybe even to "communication overhead deadlock".

So, If you want to use a ot of developers on the same project, you'll have to have to create the structures, and process flow to be able to gain advantage of a high developer number.

It means, that there must be well working processes and standards which contorll the communication overhead!

Well, and I don't know if ED has some people working on this kind of issues. I can imagine they rather have lots of programmers and modellers, but no one who thinks about new processes on "HOW TO CREATE SOFTWARE".

Well as I have no inside to ED at all and don't know even how many people they have working for the "Lock-On" seiries, my assumptions may be completely wrong. They are rather an educated guess, or so.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Guest ThomasDWeiss

I wonder if a fighter pilot strapped in his Ejection seat were you can only move your head and upper torso a bit would really benefit from 6 DOF.

Any slack in the way they are strapped in the Ejection seat would break the neck or cause fatal injuries in an ejection.

I wonder how much freedom of movement a BS pilot has, considering that he is seating on a sideways-firing Ejection seat.

I wonder if a fighter pilot strapped in his Ejection seat were you can only move your head and upper torso a bit would really benefit from 6 DOF.

Any slack in the way they are strapped in the Ejection seat would break the neck or cause fatal injuries in an ejection.

I wonder how much freedom of movement a BS pilot has, considering that he is seating on a sideways-firing Ejection seat.

Thats why the ejection system tighten the straps and drags in the pilot's arms and hands before being set off. Do you really think pilots are strapped in like Hannibal Lector in the movies???

Pilots are and do move around - they certainly can move their head, a lot more than the 6 inches it would take to give a lot better view than if it was static.

Does the ejection seat go sideways ? I thought it was a zero - zero seat, which would mean it has to go up high enough for the parachute to open on the way down - also I thought that was why it first shed the blades - to make way for the pilot to go up.

Cheers.

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Not in combat - maybe on a long ferry flight.

I saw the routine they undergo - they have good horizontal upper torso freedom, but limited vertical freedom, that is why they all complain of how uncomfortable they are on long flights.

Also, if they had vertical freedom of movement, they would on a high G barrel roll have all their weight pressing them on their shoulders.

Guest ThomasDWeiss
Does the ejection seat go sideways ? I thought it was a zero - zero seat, which would mean it has to go up high enough for the parachute to open on the way down - also I thought that was why it first shed the blades - to make way for the pilot to go up.

That is what I also read - but that the seat is ejected sideways, I would not want to eject upwards and hit a spinning rotor blade just about to detach.

here is the seat the pilot uses - the K37

http://www.ejectionsite.com/k37seat.htm

it seems like it is tailored to fire not upwards but sideways.

Dunno where you got that idea Thomas, but I'm pretty confident you're wrong.

The whole point of detaching the blades is to get them out of the way before the seat fires. That page you linked to even points out the rocket above the seat.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Guest ThomasDWeiss

Another unusual feature of this helicopter is the "Pilot Rescue" capability by way of the K-37-800 ejection seat which was first fitted to the Ka-50 (the first helicopter in the world to be fitted with an ejector seat). Once the ejection handle has been pulled, a very carefully timed series of events take place. First, explosive charges in the rotor blade roots are detonated resulting in the separation of all 6 blades (this is potentially dangerous for any nearby onlookers). Both cockpit canopies are ejected sideways then the towing rocket on both ejection seats fire in low-thrust mode. When the towing-line is pulled taught the rocket increases thrust pulling the seat up on its mounting rails and out of the helicopter. After the rocket burn, the seat falls away and a cute is deployed. This ejection can be performed throughout the entire flight envelope including inverted flight (given a minimum altitude of 90 meters). Should a pilot eject over water, the seat is also fitted with survival pack and life raft. A survival beacon is activated automatically on ejection.

http://www.razorworks.com/enemyengaged/hokum/index.html

Both cockpit canopies are ejected sideways ... maybe someone from ED could comment if this is indeed how it is.

I'm not sure if you're still thinking they go sideways.

The canopies go sideways - presumably so the pilot doesn't hit them as they eject, but the pilot goes up:

"the rocket increases thrust pulling the seat up on its mounting rails and out of the helicopter."

Cheers.

I read that while I was googling earlier, seems straight forward enough. Canopies go sideways, seats plus pilot go up. :)

I'm guessing that's because unlike a fixed wing aircraft, a helicopter isn't necessarily moving forwards at 100+ knots when the canopy separates, so firing it sideways is the safest way to avoid a coming together between it and the pilot.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Guest ThomasDWeiss

e5a4ea3abf17c3bbf634700a72a907f8.jpg

it probably is ejected sideways for a brief period before going up because I don't think that there is another way, that is why the blades have to go.

It doesn't say anything about the pilot going sideways. From the look of the rail holding the rocket the pilot would get dragged forwards & up - that's why the blades go first, so they don't do a slice & dice as the pilot goes UP through their normal path.

Cheers.

I believe on that screenshot you can actually see the roof panel through which the pilot and seat is ejected.

That previous text you quoted was referring to the Ka-52 by the way. It's two seat cockpit layout probably makes it more convienient to jetisson the canopies sideways.