Fine tuning the pitch axis...

I am presently all of my axis set to 100% "saturation" and 100% ( linear ) attenuation, less the rudder.

But I have seen many advices, just like those by the author of

, which proclaims using 54% saturation and 30% curvature.

Any suggestions? What do you find better?

I know this all depends a LOT in your controller. I used during the last 2 yrs a Saitek X52, which got damaged, and I was offered a 2nd hand Cougar HOTAS, stiff as it is, but already became my preferred joystick ever! It makes maneuvering a lot easier, but sometimes I can stall the p51d and even spin.... so... I might try the saturation ( ? )

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I basically loaded up a simple mission and kept changing my levels till I found a place where it stalled and I was comfortable with it. Different joysticks and players mean it should be different for most of us. I know that I really toned down the rudder because slight inputs were almost impossible with original settings. There should be a difference in settings in the FW190 vs P51 settings also.

Will check the video later on but IIRC (can't find the post, at work now) Yo-Yo recommends leaving the pitch and roll axes all on 100% with no curves. Rudder being the exception unless you have something as precise as MFG Crosswinds.

That being said, for formation flying DBS have found that slight curvature of lets say value 20 works wonders. After getting some stick time I reverted back to the 100%.

To get the max out of it, you need an extension for your joystick.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I am presently all of my axis set to 100% "saturation" and 100% ( linear ) attenuation, less the rudder.

Any suggestions? What do you find better?

I know this all depends a LOT in your controller. I used during the last 2 yrs a Saitek X52, which got damaged, and I was offered a 2nd hand Cougar HOTAS, stiff as it is, but already became my preferred joystick ever! It makes maneuvering a lot easier, but sometimes I can stall the p51d and even spin.... so... I might try the saturation ( ? )

At 54% saturation you 'll be losing some elevator authority. If you plan to fly the mustang for aerobatics or formation flying, then it's sufficient, and will give you much better control. But if you plan to dogfight with it (after all it's a mustang!) then you 'll be losing a degree of elevator control, which will become apparent at high speeds (350-400 mph+). At those speeds, you can use full elevator deflection nose up, without the aircraft falling in a high speed stall. You can't use it for a prolonged period, otherwise the pilot will have a GLOC, but it may make the difference in a dogfight.

If the elevator in the mustang wasn't meant to fully deflect, then it wouldn't have been engineered that way :)

Also, i 'm not sure if the ground tail-wheel lock feature will be implemented without full nose up elevator.

When it comes to curves, as Thor said, If you can fly adequately without any curvature at all, it would be ideal, but it would usually take a rather long stick for that (like the stick in the real P51 is). Introducing curvature helps a lot in formation flying, and some pretty delicate maneuvers (i.e. aiming).Higher curvatures will give you better precision at small degrees of deflection, but will make the high-speed stalls appear more abruptly. You have to find your own sweet spot on this. For my own setup and way of flying, around 30% curvature suits me the best.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Well, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am using it at 100% throw and linearity, only having a non-linear profile for the rudder, because I have a simple Saitek Rudder.

It's been a long time since I managed to control the Mustang without entering accelerated stalls, but still, and given the fact that the sim doesn't seem to model the increasing force that would be required to deflect the manche at higher speeds / g-loads, using a "tweak" like this might help...

I'll give it a try and see how I adapt :-)

At 54% saturation you 'll be losing some elevator authority. If you plan to fly the mustang for aerobatics or formation flying, then it's sufficient, and will give you much better control. But if you plan to dogfight with it (after all it's a mustang!) then you 'll be losing a degree of elevator control, which will become apparent at high speeds (350-400 mph+). At those speeds, you can use full elevator deflection nose up, without the aircraft falling in a high speed stall. You can't use it for a prolonged period, otherwise the pilot will have a GLOC, but it may make the difference in a dogfight.

If the elevator in the mustang wasn't meant to fully deflect, then it wouldn't have been engineered that way :)

Also, i 'm not sure if the ground tail-wheel lock feature will be implemented without full nose up elevator.

When it comes to curves, as Thor said, If you can fly adequately without any curvature at all, it would be ideal, but it would usually take a rather long stick for that (like the stick in the real P51 is). Introducing curvature helps a lot in formation flying, and some pretty delicate maneuvers (i.e. aiming).Higher curvatures will give you better precision at small degrees of deflection, but will make the high-speed stalls appear more abruptly. You have to find your own sweet spot on this. For my own setup and way of flying, around 30% curvature suits me the best.

not to quote your post directly, but to further discussion...there are many sticks out in the wild, which have different sensitivities (some 8 bit. some 16 bit, some 32 bit). Which means; a setting for one brand stick, might not play as well for another brand stick.

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I have to say I disagree with a lot of the suggestions in the video. From sudden power increases when taxiing to not being able to power up to 40" before take off. The latter most likely being the result of using 54% saturation else you can't hold the tail down with full stick aft.

Curvature yes, saturation no (full) IMO.

As a matter of fact, try taking off fully loaded with fuel tanks. It is impossible without holding the stick aft which is recommended for the initial run to obtain more rudder control until speed builds up.

Also, it would have been much easier to explain certain things if he used RCTRL+ENTER to show the control inputs.

Edited by T}{OR

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

You need full saturation for full control of the aircraft. I have some helicopter time irl and with that you really only apply pressure, you don't move the stick, for hovering and maneuvers. That said, you might need to yank the stick 4 inches to the side compared to the usual 1mm if you get a gust of wind, ect. So you need full saturation and 0 curve. The hard truth of it is, you can't properly flight sim without aircraft quality simulation controllers. Warthog, crosswind, ect.

As I wrote before, I myself am using "full saturation", and only curvature for rudder, and I think I am satisfied with this settings, but I will probably need a bit of curvature in pitch now that I am starting to enter online sessions and finding hard to escape human opponents.

It's all a compromise.

I use about 25 curve and full saturation but then I dont do combat on the Stang at all.

But for formation Aero then you cant do it without abit of curve unless you have a stick extension

Pman

I recommend adding a curve to all of the axes, somewhere around ~20 to 30%, especially if you want to be able to fly smoothly while in tight formation.

Edited by VTB_Ray

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Cooler Master HAF X Case | EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000W PSU | EVGA Z270 Classified K |

Intel Core i7 7700k @ 5.0 Ghz | 512GB Samsung 960 Pro SSD |

16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 @ 3200 MHZ | EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 | WD 6TB 7200 RPM |

Oculus Rift | TM HOTAS Warthog | 27" ASUS VG278H 3D monitor | Windows 10 64 bit |