F 15 refueling procedure

fighter1976

I'm right there's with you bud, literally just walked down stars for a smoke after following in slow motion for about 45 minutes. Just read a book too"I could never get on the boom, so I got nowhere"

Paraphrasing. I'm getting a complex for sure. Although here is the thing, it's just all too hanky, there needs to be some kind of dampening . Also, I think it's just physics. The f15 handles like mud at 200 knauts and angels 20.

I can catch the basket just fine. The boom over the shoulder with a full 3 tanks and arms is tough man. Plus in VR the reference points are whack and I don't know if it's just me but the lights on the tanker are not doing anything

you shouldn't be air fueling the F15 at 200 knots and expect it to be an easy task. Air refueling the F15 in the game should be done between 300 and 350 knots . set the tanker speed to say 325 and try it it should be alot easier .

You should keep on practicing , it used to be very frustrating task to me and i could never connect to the tanker and maintain full fuel . now its very easy after lots of hours practicing.

I'm right there's with you bud, literally just walked down stars for a smoke after following in slow motion for about 45 minutes. Just read a book too"I could never get on the boom, so I got nowhere"

Paraphrasing. I'm getting a complex for sure. Although here is the thing, it's just all too hanky, there needs to be some kind of dampening . Also, I think it's just physics. The f15 handles like mud at 200 knauts and angels 20.

I can catch the basket just fine. The boom over the shoulder with a full 3 tanks and arms is tough man. Plus in VR the reference points are whack and I don't know if it's just me but the lights on the tanker are not doing anything

Wait, are you trying to put the boom in yourself? Is the boom moving? Did the tanker clear contact?

There's a bug in MP where the boom won't move for the host, too, btw.

Edit: Also, 270-300 knots works pretty well for the tanker - Anything higher is kinda inefficient for the tanker (doesn't really matter in the sim) and with anything lower you'll face some AOA problems.

Lord of Salt

I won't give up. On the F15c campaign bear trap the tankers cruise at about 195. I actually wrote an email to an Air national guard station in California and they wrote me back " the f15 will be very unstable below 350 IAS, we train Aerial refueling around 350." Just asking for some literature or guidance . They don't fly f15s thought they fly f18s near my house out of Mugu.

I won't give up. On the F15c campaign bear trap the tankers cruise at about 195. I actually wrote an email to an Air national guard station in California and they wrote me back " the f15 will be very unstable below 350 IAS, we train Aerial refueling around 350." Just asking for some literature or guidance . They don't fly f15s thought they fly f18s near my house out of Mugu.

Information on air to air refueling from (the Allied Tactical Publication – 56(B) - Air to Air Refueling ) indicates that the F15 optimum refueling speed is at 315 IAS.

im not saying it cant be done at lets say 200 . i personally can and i did twice on the AO server . they have one tanker ( Texaco ) for A10 which is flying at 200 . i could connect and take full load of fuel. but its alot easier when its at 300

See attached . page # 256

edit: i forgot to mention also that in VR you can assign the Zoom function to one of the hotas button that case u can zoom quick at the light to see where is your reference . i personally dont zoom because i can see the light in VR . what is your PD set to

AAR info.rar

Edited by simo1000rr

Yeah so my od is at 1.5 but the problem is the airspeed. Looked at the mission editor, all tankers are set to 400 but they cruise at 195. Not impossible but improbable . Seems like they are set to be friendly to the flaming cliffs 3 a10.

Please tweak this, I don't know how. Watched online today boom op telling the kc135 pilot to set speed at 325 for d15 refuel. Tried some more, so close- feel confident debt if I wasn't fighting the aircraft I'd be fine. Too slow at 197. Those are f15 landing speeds nearly.

you shouldn't be air fueling the F15 at 200 knots and expect it to be an easy task. Air refueling the F15 in the game should be done between 300 and 350 knots . set the tanker speed to say 325 and try it it should be alot easier .

You should keep on practicing , it used to be very frustrating task to me and i could never connect to the tanker and maintain full fuel . now its very easy after lots of hours practicing.

Having been contacted about this problem, I see you are correct, the real life tanker booms are set to be used at 315-355 KIAS for F-15's, the Bear Trap Campaigns tanker orbit speed of 490kmh (Set by defaults) is way to slow and will be amended ASAP.

After testing

• Setting speed in ME to 850kmh TAS for tanker = 620kmh IAS at 6000m = approx 320 KIAS.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Yeah so my od is at 1.5 but the problem is the airspeed. Looked at the mission editor, all tankers are set to 400 but they cruise at 195. Not impossible but improbable . Seems like they are set to be friendly to the flaming cliffs 3 a10.

Please tweak this, I don't know how. Watched online today boom op telling the kc135 pilot to set speed at 325 for d15 refuel. Tried some more, so close- feel confident debt if I wasn't fighting the aircraft I'd be fine. Too slow at 197. Those are f15 landing speeds nearly.

Updated mission set for "Bear Trap campaign" is on the ED user files site, addressing the tanker speed.

Don't know why the speed would be locked in the mission editor, I know of no way of doing it.

Regards, Ian.

• Like 1

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I think I'm just really new still, the interface eludes me asnof yet. Nevertheless, I appreciate and respect your help. Continue to improve my aviation skills and you have been immensely helpful in making it enjoyable. I'm going to update the campaign now, and I wish you all the best. Hopefully I can lick it now.

it's still difficult, but now I see my errors. PIO, and impatience. I'm still new. I can make contact now. Explosions a plenty.

I'm trying to only use the tanker, in emergencies, when I need to RTB.I suppose I could just land somewhere and refuel too.

I love this game. Sleep is for the weak.