Gun versus tanks issues

Zilch

Hi,

I suppose I could record a track of this, but I'm having issues employing the lovely GAU-8 in its intended purpose: blowing up tanks.

I'm transitioning from LOMAC/Flaming Cliffs 2 into the A-10A in DCS. For the most part, it's a smooth changeover but I'm finding that hitting tanks with the gun is much more difficult.

I'll hit 7, then C to arm the cannon. I usually dive down on the target at about a 30 to 45 degree nose down angle, chop the throttle, open the brakes and get the target situated. Then, I line up the pipper right on the target and let fly with the rounds, just like I've done in FC2 with good success.

However, in DCS, the plane pitches upward pretty suddenly when I fire my cannon. Additionally, I've made multiple passes at the same target, say, a T-72, and often end up running out of ammo before the thing dies. The debriefing often shows no hits. Bear in mind, I've been playing sims for a couple of decades and my aim at small targets is usually pretty darn good. That said, I'm fairly certain I'm lining up my target just right. I've tried long bursts while bunting the nose down, multiple short bursts in one pass, several passes against one tank, you name it.

But, according to the debriefing, I can't seem to score any hits against tanks. I'll dump over 800 rounds at one T-80 and no hits are recorded.

I have noticed much more success engaging lighter armor, like BMP's, or unarmored targets, like trucks and artillery. This leads me to think I may not be scoring enough hits against the thicker tank armor, or maybe the hitboxes in those particular units are funky.

First, what's the deal with the sudden up-pitch? Second, is the problem with my aim, or maybe the hit boxes within DCS on certain ground targets?

Thanks for any advice. If it would be helpful, I can record a track.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

Keep in mind that the recoil from the gun is greater than the thrust of the plane's engines, so to control some of the up pitch, keep your speed on. I don't use the airbrake when strafing tanks with the A-10C (I assume it applies to the A as well) and this helps to counter the recoil quite a bit. There is also a PAC-1 gun stage in the A-10C which prepares the plane to fire (PAC-2). I don't fly the A-10A so I have no idea if this feature is available for it.

And there is locational damage in DCS. The tanks will be destroyed considerably faster if you shoot the rear or top of the tank.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Welcome to the forums :)

As above, be sure that your PAC system is engaged. Thereafter engage all armour from 0.7nm-0.4nm only: Any further and you won't do effective damage to the armour, requiring re-engagement. Any closer and you'll probably end up as an expensive lawn-ornament.

Here's a couple of old vids illustrating the principle:

T-80 Frontal attack:

B7barPrsB5k

And here's slightly more extreme, illustrating a 70-round kill:

wTa2vp0sf5I

Bottom-line is to get close, within that majik 0.7-0.4 range.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Make sure you're uncomfortably close when you start firing :D

Outside of 1 mile, you won't do much damage. If you get really close, maybe .2-.1 miles, you'll only need a handful of rounds to kill a tank. Good luck not getting shot though :P

Edit: sniped! Classic move viper :-P

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep the brakes in and get a bit closer. Incidentally, when I pull out really low like that, I always take gunfire, especially from those pesky BMP's. Any suggested tactics for evading that aside from the standard jink?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

I forgot to mention that keeping your speed on not only helps to counter recoil, but it also makes you a harder target to hit, and you can climb away from the target too.

The problem with BMPs in DCS is that they are better at shooting down planes and helicopters than shilkas are. A tip to avoid there fire is to use a steeper attack angle, and you don't need to get too close before firing, as they don't take many hits to destroy

I hope this helps!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

You only need to get close to the heavy armor.

You can shoot up light armor from miles away, but the accuracy drops.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep the brakes in and get a bit closer. Incidentally, when I pull out really low like that, I always take gunfire, especially from those pesky BMP's. Any suggested tactics for evading that aside from the standard jink?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Any suggested tactics for evading that aside from the standard jink?

Don't get closer than 1.5nm to a BMP. That's near enough to light him up with the 30mm in any event.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

When you can read "Open This Hatch" or "Раскройте этот люк" you're close enuff :shocking:

WELCOME TO THE MUD

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Nice selection of tunes Viper :)

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png