F-15C Tailhook?

Gonzxor3

guys, would you mind posting a real life video when f-15 crew do a preflight tailhook check/test ?

thanks

What Rainmaker posted is also accurate for F-16/F-117. In the US, only the Navy/Marines do tail hook checks prior to flight. AFAIK.

I still don't get this recent obsession with barriers and tail hooks from the forums in general.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Something interesting I found kind of related to this. Currently the bug is effecting not just carriers, but also the way the F-15C collides with structures in DCS. You can just fly right through buildings, and you will fall through bridges. The airplane takes damage, but it phases through as if there is nothing there.

In the FC3 entry.lua, if you change F15FM.old from true to F15FM.old = false the F-15C will properly interact with the collision model of other vehicles and structures... The only problem is that it makes the cockpit and most inputs not work.

Should I report this somewhere more official?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

iv said before the hook is for engine tests in hanger thats it

There are no hangars in the USAF/ PACAF/ USAFE/etc. that has a place for holding back F-15/F-16/F-F117/F-22/F-35 with tail hook. The arresting gear to connect to the tail hook is only located in trim pads, Hush houses ( test cell buildings) and the McKinley Climatic Laboratory in Eglin AFB AFAIK.

Like Rainmaker stated, any engine runs above 80% (this could include engine oil consumptions test, AB maintenance and other maintenance procedures) will require the aircraft to be secured.

The Tail hook is also used for emergencies where braking system fails. In this accident report you can read how the pilot use it.

F-16 accident report direct pdf link

Look at page 7

Here is an F-15 example ( pdf direct link)

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 2 months later...
The Tail hook is also used for emergencies where braking system fails. hardly ever used but would be nice for game but. how high on list will it be does it matter

The primary use for the hook is for brake failure... key word...PRIMARY:smartass:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

• 7 years later...