Please help, problem with pitch control

flyICE

Haven't flew DCS/FC for a long long time but just got back to play to enjoy my Oculus Rift DK2. I got a strange problem in FC3 that I'd really appreciate anyone's helps.

My Thurstmaster Warthog HOTAS was working fine with FC2 before. I used same profile I made with FC2 and made sure in Option/Control all the axises were assigned correctly and X, Y, Z from Warthog all are perfectly calibrated in DCS.

So far everything seems to be fine except that the pitch is severely limited. I tried A-10 and F-15 instance action missions, and in either aircraft when I pull up the stick the aircraft will only pitch up to 20-30 degrees. Then it's like that I'd bumped into kind of pitch limiter or sth, as the aircraft begins to rattle and refuses to further pitch up. This happens whenever I pull or push the stick beyond 20-30 degrees. It almost appears that the aircraft is going to stall but I'm pretty sure at those speeds they shouldn't be stalling at all.

I have no problem in roll (axis X), throttle (axis Z), and yaw (by CH Pro pedal). Again, in DCS Option/Control/Axis menu all axises including Y/pitch moves and calibrates perfectly fine for F-15 and A-10.

So is there some kind of new settings that I'm missing in FC3 or sth weird happening between FC3 and my Warthog?

Thanks a lot!

OK, this might be due to that I'm pulling the stick too hard? I found whenever I pull the stick to adjust the pitch I have to be extremely gentle, otherwise F-15 will quickly approach high AOA like 25-30 degree and the speed will bleead like crazy.

This is certainly very different from FC2. Plus, if this is due to new flight model in FC3 I must be doing sth wrong since now I can't even finish a vertical loop in F15 with afterburnner and no external weapons. There's virtually no vertical maneuverability and I almost can't keep up with or out turn Mig-23. Is this the way supposed to be in FC3 and I have to re-learn so much in FC3?

I installed new DCS and FC3 without uninstalling the old FC2 etc. Could this mess up sth in FC3?

Edited by flyICE

OK, this might be due to that I'm pulling the stick too hard? I found whenever I pull the stick to adjust the pitch I have to be extremely gentle, otherwise F-15 will quickly approach high AOA like 25-30 degree and the speed will bleead like crazy.

This is certainly very different from FC2. Plus, if this is due to new flight model in FC3 I must be doing sth wrong since now I can't even finish a vertical loop in F15 with afterburnner and no external weapons. There's virtually no vertical maneuverability and I almost can't keep up with or out turn Mig-23. Is this the way supposed to be in FC3 and I have to re-learn so much in FC3?

I installed new DCS and FC3 without uninstalling the old FC2 etc. Could this mess up sth in FC3?

I guess you simply need to adjust to the more realistic behaviour of the advanced flight model.

Do not go dogfighting, before first train to fly that baby.

Gentle pull is one thing, but you need learn to take your optimum turn speed and AoA into account! When the AoA warning tone comes up don't pull, gently release a bit, unless you are in a life or death turning match. Another issue may be the new autopilot channels.

They work with stabilization like in the A-10 and you need to learn what they do...

In an empty F-15C you should be able to easily pull a looping on afterburner at 10k feet. If you can't and you are gentle with the stick, check if the throttle is calibrated correctly and not tweaked.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thank you guys for the kind replies! I'm now much aware of that the AFM on F-15 is quite different from what's in FC2 and I'm learning to control the plane more properly.

Nonetheless, there might indeed be a problem with my throttle. I removed the afterburner detent mechanism on Warthog so the throttle moves all the way up and down smoothly. I never had any problems with engaging afterburner in FC2 or in FSX/Prepar3D by simply pushing throttle all the way up.

In FC3 when I push the throttle to max, the sound, acceleration and flames from nozzles (in external view) seem all indicate that afterburner is engaged on F-15. But when I watch the engine tachometer and fuel flow carefully I find that engine rpm stays at 96% and fuel flow indicator is between 50-60. Nozzle position is fully open though.

Just want to confirm with you guys, when you push throttle to max and afterburner kicks in what are the readings in F-15C's engine rpm and fuel flow? I believe the engine rpm should at least be over 100% and reaching 110%?

Warthog throttle was recognized as JOY-Z in FC3 Control setup and I also set JOY-Z as SLIDER. I can reach the full range of the curve but there is one thing strange that the moving direction of "dot" on the curve is reversed - pushing up throttle the dot goes down to bottom left corner and pulling back the dot goes to top right corner. Nonetheless in flight the throttle moves in the right direction (so does the throttle in the cockpit).

I'm kind of convinced my throttle is having problem to fully engage afterburner but puzzled on what's wrong at this moment...

Edited by flyICE

Sounds all ok... 96% should be correct. If the nozzle scales are at full open is fine and you see the afterburner in external view its ok.

What is important, the weight and drag of weapons and especially droptanks is now modeled and affect performance.

Also you need a minimum speed to do a looping from.level flight... the times, when you just kick in burners and pull up and rise like a rocket are gone.

Take your time and train a bit. The advantage of the new AFM is, that once you get the hang of it, it feels much more real and you can pull some maneuvers even better than with the old SFM...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Thanks, Shagrat. If my AB is kicked in no problem then I feel the thrust on F-15C is too anemic though. In DCAT mission against Mig-23 I can barely do any sharp maneuvers..

"when you just kick in burners and pull up and rise like a rocket are gone." -- but to be fair there have been plenty videos on youtube showing real F-15 indeed can do this?

Also in this F-15 video in FC3:

At 2'20" he pulls up nose to 90 degree and climb - there is simply no way I can do that on my computer (at similar speed and similar configuration of the aircraft). If I pull as hard the plane will stall in seconds.

Edited by flyICE

• 3 months later...

Dear Friends,

i have just bought FC3. i used to have LOMAC(Lock On) and it was easy to control plane with keyboard, but with FC3 i got a big problem with up and down keys when want to pitch up or down. the pitch will not back automatically like LOMAC and remain in it's position controlling is a big problem. any one can help me with this issue?