How fast you can turn F-15C in FC3?

flyICE

I'm still getting used to the AFM. Before flying F-15C was easy, now it's hard and I'm having a hard time to even keep up with MIG-23.

I did brief and not so accurate tests to time my turn rate with near bingo fuel and clean configuration (from the DACT mission).

At around 450 knots it took me 20 seconds to turn a full circle, and 38 seconds at around 250-300 knots. Altitude was around 10,000ft.

Are these numbers normal or my piloting skill is totally crap...

Basically the rule of thumb is this:

1) Lose your speed and you have to lose altitude to gain it back.

2) Lose your speed and altitude and you're dead.

However, the rule of the current PFM seems to be: lose your speed and it'll never come back. Not before you finish the fight or seperate from it anyway. Keeping your speed is far more important than it used to be. No, that does not mean you have to turn at corner until you run out of gas. But you'd better have a very good reason to spend that speed.

I'm still getting used to the AFM. Before flying F-15C was easy, now it's hard and I'm having a hard time to even keep up with MIG-23.

I did brief and not so accurate tests to time my turn rate with near bingo fuel and clean configuration (from the DACT mission).

At around 450 knots it took me 20 seconds to turn a full circle, and 38 seconds at around 250-300 knots. Altitude was around 10,000ft.

Are these numbers normal or my piloting skill is totally crap...

Pretty normal. You can turn a little faster if you know what you're doing... I suggest doing your test every 50kts between the speeds you mentioned, and repeat for sustained, instantaneous and mixed (with varying technique) turns.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Pretty normal. You can turn a little faster if you know what you're doing... I suggest doing your test every 50kts between the speeds you mentioned, and repeat for sustained, instantaneous and mixed (with varying technique) turns.

nah really don't get time for these. Aren't such data supposed to be available with the publish of AFM?

To be honest, I found it hard to believe that real F-15 is so prone to stall and so slow so hard to turn under 350knots. By all means F-15C is built to be a superior fighter and I have seen plenty stunning action videos of F-15 on youtube. Anyway there is no choice and I'll just eat whatever the AFM feeds.

nah really don't get time for these. Aren't such data supposed to be available with the publish of AFM?

To be honest, I found it hard to believe that real F-15 is so prone to stall and so slow so hard to turn under 350knots. By all means F-15C is built to be a superior fighter and I have seen plenty stunning action videos of F-15 on youtube. Anyway there is no choice and I'll just eat whatever the AFM feeds.

Superiority doesn't come from flatturning better than a biplane at 150 knots.

nah really don't get time for these.

OK, but that'll keep you from improving your bfm. There is no magic formula, and without an instructor to reach you, it's all about your own ability to do this science.

Aren't such data supposed to be available with the publish of AFM?

Not as far as I know, and even then it will be incomplete. You can get the real -1, and that will only tell you so much as well. You can read Robert Shaw's book on bfm, but you probably don't have time for that.

The Eagle's new PFM is still WIP and needs tuning, but I suspect you have some unrealistic expectations about how an aircraft flies as well. Common to many, I get caught by that as well :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda