Approach & Landing Speeds

Igor4U

Has anyone been able to hold their nose up to airobrake on landing? With the current flight model its nigh impossible.

Most of the videos I've seen of the real mig 21 landings the nose can be held up for quite a bit before it 'gently' falls to make contact with the concrete.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.

Following the procedure I posted earlier, I was able to land with a pretty nose-high attitude and it was actually pretty smooth and my best landing so far (although I haven't trier that many landings to be honest).

But indeed, the second the wheels gently touched the runway, the nose dropped. I was at about 250 km/h by now so it might be normal, I don't know.

Incidentally, I have not yet been able to raise the nose at 250-270 on takeoff either.

But as I said, I have not yet taken the MiG-21 for that many rides, so I can't really comment further.

Has anyone been able to hold their nose up to airobrake on landing? With the current flight model its nigh impossible.

Most of the videos I've seen of the real mig 21 landings the nose can be held up for quite a bit before it 'gently' falls to make contact with the concrete.

Your comments are appreciated, as always.

I have done this already, but it's pretty hard not to bump the nose down directly. It's definately possible, but I had to try hard and often to get there, as I usually try to land every plane that way :)

I think the best procedure to get this: Come in with 90%, full flaps, gear down, no air brake. With a decent glide slope this should give ~370-380km/h speed. Over the inner marker, close to the runway I go down to 80%. Then gently flare the approach, hovering in at "beer create height", then retract flaps (I do that pretty much in every plane, to make it then stay on the ground), then usually the nose stays up. I haven't accomplished this with idling throttle though, but it's always possible to do that just after touchdown. Or just let the engine push against the drag chute then, works a bit like a thrust reversal. Just don't throttle up too much or you might drop the chute. But I haven't had any problems with 80% yet :)

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Since we going for realism I'm wondering if this is a bug with the flight model. I just dont have the experience to answer this definitively.

But, looking at videos of the real Mig-21Bis there appears, for me, to be an issue with low speed handling in the flight model. The issue with the high altitude flight model has already been acknowledged in the Bugs section. This could just be another smoking gaan.

Real life manual says to pull the stick above the runway until you are on level flight just above the runway, and should land around 260-280 km/h with the stick at nearly full aft. That sounds terrifying, though.

It is more terrifying when you hear it from person who actually flew this beast.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2125128&postcount=929

Short translation during touchdown, pull the stick back until it hits the seat. :D

I never knew about the BLC system. That explains to me why it dropped like a brick the second I chopped the throttle. Are there any details on it in the manual. I haven't seen any. If not it may be good to add a short blurb about it because it's very unique and is something new to keep in mind during the landing procedure.

Is there anyway to turn it off?

Sure, it's the switch LV15

Edited by ObvilionLost

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5472_1.gif[/sIGPIC]:joystick:

Win 10 | i5-6600K | 16GB DDR4 RAM | MSI Radeon RX480 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek X52

Zeus Gaming Community