MiG 21 vs modern fighters

lucien

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've managed 6 kills on modern aircraft since I started playing the Mig-21 online about a month ago. I have to admit for such an old bird she can still kick some serious ass.

If LN ever added a Mig-21Bison expansion, THEN things would get really interesting! :pilotfly:

Love the videos, guys, some great flying here.

Great videos everyone! Y'all have made me put aside my F-15C and concentrate on the Mig 21. I have a few success' on multiplayer sites but the other day I shot down one of my own. I've been using the IFF but not sure now if I'm using it correctly. I realize this may be edited out of the videos but do any of you use the IFF button in the Mig 21 and if so does it work?

Great videos everyone! Y'all have made me put aside my F-15C and concentrate on the Mig 21. I have a few success' on multiplayer sites but the other day I shot down one of my own. I've been using the IFF but not sure now if I'm using it correctly. I realize this may be edited out of the videos but do any of you use the IFF button in the Mig 21 and if so does it work?

I spam the IFF button, it's to tell friend from foe, foes are a "_" and friends are a "="

make sure, if you see a "_", that the IFF button is lit up with a red ring, if its not, it might still show a "_" but, since IFF isn't on, it could be a friendly.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I spam the IFF button, it's to tell friend from foe, foes are a "_" and friends are a "="

make sure, if you see a "_", that the IFF button is lit up with a red ring, if its not, it might still show a "_" but, since IFF isn't on, it could be a friendly.

This. Make sure you're not locked on anything, as you can't IFF. Also, make sure the Type 81 IFF transponder switch is on. It's RV 4, the little silver switch to the left of the RWR power switch.

Edited by ttaylor0024

If you have both IFF switches on and a contact in your radar IFF should work.

But there is also a bug with radar search mode (and IFF) in MP severs with a lot of clients connected. It happens to me about one of every 4 or 5 flights I do in the 104th sever. The radar won't show you the contacts it has in its search cone, even if you see the contacts in front of you the radar will show you nothing, so you can't IFF. You can still lock targets in beam mode or blindly in search mode and engage with R3Rs. This might be related to lag and desynch and ones it start happening It happens also to most of the clients flying Mig-21.

Some kills this weekend with the Mig at the 104th:

Screen_150207_221102_zpsjf1mjs39.jpg

Edited by JorgeIII

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Hadwll, ttaylor0024, & Jorge III ...

Took your advice and flew this afternoon on the 104th site and got the IFF to work. I was missing the RV4 switch. Thanks guys!

KMS

Awesome! I have been pretty bad about getting on lately, between getting the flu, flight instructing, and other things going on I haven't touched DCS in about a week and a half.

In more exciting news, was just selected today to be a Naval Aviator. Doing this for real!

Here's my contrubution:

:D

Rate, hate, appreciate. Be as judgemental as you want but don't judge mah frame rates or graphics :p

Edit #2, thanks a lot to ttaylor for the help :D got it working

Congrats by the way, I'm jealous

Edited by Serp Supreme

This post is protected by a pilot who has a serious lack of negotiating skills, but is absolute hell in a dogfight. If you do not belong here, please leave.

You have now been properly negotiated with.

MiG-29S Instant Action Mission Fix

Come check out and add to my list of all landmarks in DCS World!

^that works now

Awesome! I have been pretty bad about getting on lately, between getting the flu, flight instructing, and other things going on I haven't touched DCS in about a week and a half.

In more exciting news, was just selected today to be a Naval Aviator. Doing this for real!

Congratulations Taylor!!!

I think most of the 50,000 members of this forum would love to have your opportunity in RL. Good luck and keep us posted while you can!

AKA TANGO-117. DCS Modules: ALL. I7 6700k @ 4.9 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 @ 3.2 GHz / 950 Pro m.2 + 4xSSDs / Gigabyte 1080TI 11 GB OC / 48" 4K Curved Samsung TV / TM Warthog Hotas / TM TPR rudder pedals / Track IR. Private pilot and sailplane pilot in RL.

Congratulations Taylor!!!

I think most of the 50,000 members of this forum would love to have your opportunity in RL. Good luck and keep us posted while you can!

Thanks guys! I'll definitely be working hard to not ruin this opportunity. It will be a race between ED and I to see who gets to the hornet first.... :thumbup:

Thanks guys! I'll definitely be working hard to not ruin this opportunity. It will be a race between ED and I to see who gets to the hornet first.... :thumbup:

Naturally, that would be you ;)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Woohoo! Motivated by this thread I finally jumped in (on 104th), got shot once, crashed once when evading, played hide'n'seek and bagged one Su-27 in the mountains (R-3R), that was pretty intense.

However I was too shy to open my mouth on TS, those guys are so good at comms it's intimidating, but interesting, to learn - I only fly cooperative A-G usually :music_whistling:

MiG-21 ftw! :pilotfly:

Woohoo! Motivated by this thread I finally jumped in (on 104th), got shot once, crashed once when evading, played hide'n'seek and bagged one Su-27 in the mountains (R-3R), that was pretty intense.

However I was too shy to open my mouth on TS, those guys are so good at comms it's intimidating, but interesting, to learn - I only fly cooperative A-G usually :music_whistling:

MiG-21 ftw! :pilotfly:

You have to be pretty assertive on TS because most of the time they don't realize that what they're saying in relation to bandit location means nothing to you. If you can get bulls calls then just pull up your kneeboard and you can have a good educated guess, or at least good enough to find him on radar.

I've had good success with the R-3R, however surprisingly I've also had good success with IR missiles and just leaving the radar in search mode to locate and pull up to the enemy. Once you lock the radar they tend to start taking you as more of a threat, so if you can visually ID them when getting close and launch a R-13M1 or R-60M into their tailpipe they will most likely not even know before it's too late. With that being said, my typical loadout is 2x R-3R and 2x R-60M.

You have to be pretty assertive on TS because most of the time they don't realize that what they're saying in relation to bandit location means nothing to you...
That was pretty good in that regard, regular grid update then calls in relation to them

I've had good success with the R-3R, however surprisingly I've also had good success with IR missiles and just leaving the radar in search mode to locate and pull up to the enemy. Once you lock the radar they tend to start taking you as more of a threat, so if you can visually ID them when getting close and launch a R-13M1 or R-60M into their tailpipe they will most likely not even know before it's too late. With that being said, my typical loadout is 2x R-3R and 2x R-60M.

I used only 2 R-3R and 2 fuel tanks plus chaff and flares.

I was radar off most of the time, what I was doing is flying not too low, looking for contrails and keeping my SA updated with the radio chatter.

Every 30 seconds or when I was pinged I switched the radar on for a few seconds, IFF if I had a contact, otherwise try to reposition, rince, repeat.

Everytime I was locked I evaded in the moutains (and once crashed).

If I had a contact in range I would try to lock in order to get a better location of the bandit, go for the kill if I was close enough. If I was too far away I kept the lock in case of no visual, radar off if I got the visual - to activate it again at the very last moment.

Edited by PiedDroit

I used to be really cautious with my radar, then i just decided without awacs, radar is the only real way i can search for contacts.

If I shut off my radar, I lose 90% of my situational awareness...

Because the radar is line of sight and has a really narrow field of view, it's easy to use the mountains as cover even with it on.

the benefits of having the radar on when you're on station far outweigh the drawbacks, unless there's AWACs. <= kinda sounds like a poem... "drawbacks, and awacs"?

because remember, there's an exception to every rule, except for the rule that there's an exception to every rule.

and i get pissed off every time i don't take R-13M1s now... every time i get behind some dude firing at a friendly, and i can't see him on radar, but i can see the friendly, and i only have r3r's i get sooo angry... like WHY!?

oh i have a video i gotta post....

And people wonder how we get kills in the mig 21 lol

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]