GoPro-like positioning for camera views?

Wicaeed

Hey all,

I've been fooling around in the Mig-21 for a few days now and been having a blast!

I've recently seen some videos taken from planes in flight from what obviously are GoPro (or GoPro-like) cameras mounted on various surfaces of the plane such as this one here.

I've been searching around the forums trying to find out if it is as all possible to get camera shots like the ones from the video but in game, however I haven't had much luck.

Most of what I have seen reference the server.lua file in the 'DCS World\config\views\' folder and editing that, however this file differs greatly now from the examples that I've seen here, here and here.

Does anyone know if such a camera view is possible to pull off in game now?

Greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure but as far as I remember you can save a snapview pretty much everywhere in the pit along the 6DOF so theoretically you can at least position the viewpoint against the canopy glass, at the HUD base, at the top of the seat, etc.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

I was thinking about the same thing, and I would like that as well. Views including a camera mounted on the canopy frame looking back at the pilot, as well as a camera view over the pilots shoulder would be nice... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Keep in mind that by default you don't have a visible pilot in the pit.. You'd need mods for that.

It's not so much about the pilot, but the view back at the pilot seat; I like to sometimes see both wings while pulling Gs, etc.

Just like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGr97iuBmLDI2ny4N3jxhHbNpHQRGMnEE0-qQZVmpqFP76hYlCwQ

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Woohoo! Figured it out...not too sure if the settings will stay for MP though...

Neat video I took:

edit: I'll post how I figured it out once I'm not too tired to type :D

Should be fixed now.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Edited by Wicaeed

For those who want to know how to edit the chase view (F4) for the Mig-21bis (and other aircraft), it's as simple as the following:

Note: Some of the guides that I read claimed that you have to make a copy of the '%install directory%\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\server.lua' file and move it into your own '%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View' folder. I found that this did not work for me. I had to edit the server.lua file in the DCS install directory for these changes to take affect. I'm not sure if they will persist on multiplayer servers.

1. Make a backup of your server.lua file
  2. Open the original file in Notepad++
  3. I searched for and could not find a ViewSettings section pertaining to the Mig-21bis, thus I had to create it (I copy/pasted the relevent sections from the ViewSettings section of the A-10). I haven't noticed my cockpit viewpoint being any different with these settings as I doubt they are optimized for the Mig-21bis
    ViewSettings["MiG-21Bis"] = {
    Cockpit = {
    [1] = default_fighter_player({CockpitLocalPoint      = {7.959000,1.419000,0.000000}})-- player slot 1
    }, -- Cockpit 
    Chase = {
    	LocalPoint      = {0.230000,-0.300000,-1.400000
    						--first value is longitudinal position on plane x axis (+ is closer to cockpit) 							
    						--second value is height from center of aircraft
    						--third value is y (positive value is right side of plane, negative value is left side)
    					}, 
    	AnglesDefault   = {0.000000,-0.000000
    						--first value is camera viewpoint in degrees
    						--second value is the camera pitch angle
    					},
    }, -- Chase 
    Arcade = {
    	LocalPoint      = {-12.041000,6.419000,0.000000},
    	AnglesDefault   = {0.000000,-8.000000},
    }, -- Arcade 
    }

4. You may also want to change the following line to false to allow your camera angle to be closer to the ground
     CameraTerrainRestriction 		= true

5. Save changes
  6. Fire up DCS World and start an instant action mission in the Mig-21bis
  7. Play around with the Chase camera LocalPoint settings to move the viewpoint around. The settings that are present represent a viewpoint just to the front and right of station #1

And that's all there was to it.

Great job!

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: