MOOSE - Mission Object Oriented Scripting Framework

I know the script below makes no sence, its just to play around with the POINT and COORDINATE Class.

I manage to spawn the tank at the center of the zone (Tank:SpawnFromVec3( Koordinate )). Thats not the point.

From this point I try to get the x- and y-part in order to change the value.

After that I want to create a new coordinte "Koordinate2" out of the x- and y-part (z-part is optional).

Maybe that make more sence.

"Tankx = Koordinate:GetX()" cause an error. I think there is the problem, maybe I dont understand the syntax of POINT_Vec2(3):GetX()!?

Thanks for help

Tom

Hi, have an other problem.

I try to make some things with coordinates and points - want to create a new point to spawn a unit there. Try things like this

Tank = SPAWN:New( "TestUnit")

ZonePosition = ZONE:New( "Position" )

Koordinate = ZonePosition:GetVec3()

Tankx = Koordinate:GetX()

Tanky = Koordinate:GetY()

Koordinate2 = POINT_VEC3:New( Tankx, Tanky )

Tank:SpawnFromVec3( Koordinate2 )

I try this with Vec2 and Vec3. Nothing works

Need your help. Thanks

I know the script below makes no sence, its just to play around with the POINT and COORDINATE Class.

I manage to spawn the tank at the center of the zone (Tank:SpawnFromVec3( Koordinate )). Thats not the point.

From this point I try to get the x- and y-part in order to change the value.

After that I want to create a new coordinte "Koordinate2" out of the x- and y-part (z-part is optional).

Maybe that make more sence.

"Tankx = Koordinate:GetX()" cause an error. I think there is the problem, maybe I dont understand the syntax of POINT_Vec2(3):GetX()!?

Thanks for help

Tom

Being a noob at this script stuff here goes nothing :) :

You shoud use GetVec2() or GetVec3() to 'extract' the coords from GetCoordinate().

Koordinate = ZonePosition:GetCoordinate()

TankCoords = Koordinate:GetVec2()
Tank:SpawnFromVec2( TankCoords )

TankCoords.y = TankCoords.y + 100
TankCoords.x = TankCoords.x + 100

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

Thanks Cyb0rg,

that is definetly different☺.

I will give it a try

Being a noob at this script stuff here goes nothing :) :

You shoud use GetVec2() or GetVec3() to 'extract' the coords from GetCoordinate().

Koordinate = ZonePosition:GetCoordinate()

TankCoords = Koordinate:GetVec2()

TankCoords.y = TankCoords.y + 100
TankCoords.x = TankCoords.x + 100

Hey guys, i'm using the AI Balancer for a pvp mission but i might have a lot of choices and dont necessarily want to have them all spawned into AI. Is there a way to limit spawn so the sum of clients+AI for each side matches?

Hey guys, i'm using the AI Balancer for a pvp mission but i might have a lot of choices and dont necessarily want to have them all spawned into AI. Is there a way to limit spawn so the sum of clients+AI for each side matches?

That is how it works now. So if you have 10 slots setup with AI_BALANCER and 2 human players take slot only 8 AI will spawn. If those 2 were already in there air there is logic to have them RTB or despawn I think.

• Like 1

That is how it works now. So if you have 10 slots setup with AI_BALANCER and 2 human players take slot only 8 AI will spawn. If those 2 were already in there air there is logic to have them RTB or despawn I think.

Yeah i know but i think there could be an option to limit the spawns. I could actualy code it by modifying the code there's a

[color=#d4d4d4][font=Consolas][color=Black]self.SetClient:ForEachClient([/color]
[color=#d4d4d4][color=Black]

[/color][/color]

Before the spawn of the AIs and I wonder how I could check that the client slot is taken

[/font][/color]

So to rephrase you question, if I understand it correctly, you want to have more slots than the AI balancer slots, and only have SOME AI balancer slots, not all of the slots?

Or in other words, you want the AI slots to balance against the total number of human slots, not just AI enabled slots?

Personally I think this is worth a Github enhancement request since I like the idea and had thought of this a long time ago too. I created a different and very longhanded script that would enable slots dynamically based on players. But the problem with my script was that it was long, badly written and lacked a decent coder looking at it to shorten it. We also had a bug with DCS that prevented the EVENT onPlayertakeslot or whatever it was called, i forget now, and this limited what we could do.

Last time I spoke to FlightControl he was looking at using the server side API which has the server event properly working when a client connects and this has a better capability of controlling things like balancing.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Or in other words, you want the AI slots to balance against the total number of human slots, not just AI enabled slots?

Yes, this would be very usefull :) I'm an IT student i have no problem with coding even if lua is pretty unique

Looking at the AI_Balancer file i can see why it's no easy task, the onenterMonitoring function isnt designed to spawn AI based on the enemi players but on every slot available.

We would need a condition at the start of the function like

if balanceBasedOnPlayers == true then
-- the code to balance based on players in game
else 
--the rest of the function that is already written
end

We would then be able to set the boolean "balanceBasedOnPlayers" with a function

Then i'm thinking about taking pretty much the same approach but use forEachPlayer() this time

If the player doesn't already have an "AI equivalent" if the ennemi coalition then spawn it, else stay engaged

I don't if that would work, i'm gonna try theese modifications

Edited by ked

Modifying the MOOSE files is a pain in the *** how do you guys do that ??? I get a constant error now on mission loadup

00075.798  ERROR   DCS: Mission script error: : [string  "C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00005AD6"]:11: can't open  'Scripts/Moose/Utilities/Routines.lua'
stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [C]: in function 'assert'
   [string "C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00005AD6"]:11: in function 'Include'
   [string "C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00005AD6"]:24: in main chunk

Even after cloning the git repo another time

Hello, MOOSEfolk!

I am finally beginning my foray into MOOSE, beginning with an attempt at a simple scheduled spawn...however I seem to be running into some issues in that nothing ever actually spawns.

My units are late activated, set to takeoff from ramp from various airfields in the NTTR. The airfields have the resources to support the spawns. I have the MOOSE.lua loaded into the .miz, and nothing throws any errors as it loads. I've checked and double checked spelling of groups. Do any of you have any idea where I've made a mistake?

My intention is to spawn 1 group of each type at a time, with a maximum of 1000000 spawned throughout the course of the mission (the idea being that they'll never stop calling the spawn, though eventually the field will run out of resources); they are supposed to spawn at a random interval between 45 and 135 minutes (5400, 0.5) and be cleaned up if inactive, with a check every 40 minutes.

-- Declare SPAWN objects
 Spawn_Fishbed = SPAWN:New("Fishbed"):InitLimit( 3, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Fencer = SPAWN:New("Fencer"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Fitter = SPAWN:New("Fitter"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Foxbat = SPAWN:New("Foxbat"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Flogger = SPAWN:New("Flogger"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Havoc1 = SPAWN:New("Havoc1"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Havoc2 = SPAWN:New("Havoc2"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Hind1 = SPAWN:New("Hind1"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Hind2 = SPAWN:New("Hind2"):InitLimit( 2, 1000000 )

-- Repeat when landed and shut down
 Spawn_Fishbed:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Fencer:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Fitter:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Foxbat:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Flogger:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Havoc1:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Havoc2:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Hind1:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()
 Spawn_Hind2:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()

--Clean up inactive groups
 Spawn_Fishbed:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Fencer:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Fitter:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Foxbat:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Flogger:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Havoc1:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Havoc2:Cleanup (2400)
 Spawn_Hind1:Cleanup (2400)  
 Spawn_Hind2:Cleanup (2400)

-- Spawn groups
 Spawn_Fishbed:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Fencer:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Fitter:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Flogger:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Havoc1:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Havoc2:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Hind1:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)
 Spawn_Hind2:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)

As mentioned above, no aircraft ever spawn regardless of the time spent in the .miz, I've tried reducing the timer to 30 seconds for a test but to no avail. Thanks in advance for any help you're able to offer!

Edited by feefifofum

Modifying the MOOSE files is a pain in the *** how do you guys do that ??? I get a constant error now on mission loadup

00075.798  ERROR   DCS: Mission script error: : [string  "C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00005AD6"]:11: can't open  'Scripts/Moose/Utilities/Routines.lua'
stack traceback:
   [string "C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00005AD6"]:11: in function 'Include'
   [string "C:\Users\Clement\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00005AD6"]:24: in main chunk

We usually don't unless we are contributing fixes / enhancements to Moose through GitHub and Flightcontrol merges the changes once they are considered stable.

If you have re-cloned and still receiving an error it is likely your side is messed up or your mission is pointing / using the wrong Moose.lua include.

Hello, MOOSEfolk!

I am finally beginning my foray into MOOSE, beginning with an attempt at a simple scheduled spawn...however I seem to be running into some issues in that nothing ever actually spawns.

My units are late activated, set to takeoff from ramp from various airfields in the NTTR. The airfields have the resources to support the spawns. I have the MOOSE.lua loaded into the .miz, and nothing throws any errors as it loads. I've checked and double checked spelling of groups. Do any of you have any idea where I've made a mistake?

My intention is to spawn 1 group of each type at a time, with a maximum of 1000000 spawned throughout the course of the mission (the idea being that they'll never stop calling the spawn, though eventually the field will run out of resources); they are supposed to spawn at a random interval between 45 and 135 minutes (5400, 0.5) and be cleaned up if inactive, with a check every 40 minutes.

-- Declare SPAWN objects
 Spawn_Fishbed = SPAWN:New("Fishbed"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Fencer = SPAWN:New("Fencer"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Fitter = SPAWN:New("Fitter"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Foxbat = SPAWN:New("Foxbat"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Mirage = SPAWN:New("Mirage"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Havoc1 = SPAWN:New("Havoc1"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Havoc2 = SPAWN:New("Havoc2"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Hind1 = SPAWN:New("Hind1"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Hind2 = SPAWN:New("Hind2"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )

Spawn_Mirage:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()

Spawn_Mirage:Cleanup (2400)

-- Spawn groups
 Spawn_Mirage:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)

As mentioned above, no aircraft ever spawn regardless of the time spent in the .miz, I've tried reducing the timer to 30 seconds for a test but to no avail. Thanks in advance for any help you're able to offer!

I think Cleanup() is supposed to be InitCleanup(). Double check that in the docs as I'm just replying quickly here. That Cleanup() might be cleaning up too much and then no spawns happen!! Just a quick guess.

Also, are these single unit groups in the editor?

We usually don't unless we are contributing fixes / enhancements to Moose through GitHub and Flightcontrol merges the changes once they are considered stable.

If you have re-cloned and still receiving an error it is likely your side is messed up or your mission is pointing / using the wrong Moose.lua include.

Is there a way to build a MOOSE.lua that doesn't look for files at startup ? A big file with everything in it. I've seen some bash files but idk wether it's possible or not

stack traceback:

OK, if you are coming from github I would think you are using the dev version which looks for other files (hence the error with assert, its trying to find them) You can simply check the file size of moose, if its almost empty, you have the dev version. (long story - the seperate parts are built) There are loads of download links https://github.com/FlightControl-Master/MOOSE/releases for the compiled version. Larger one is aonnotated with comments for the lua documentator.

Second, in ascertaining players joining and leaving you have to do a nasty scan on a timer or some other pull method to determine if a slot has an "alive player" because the event is bugged. See below from May 2017.

Would be better to do that via a server script and rebuild using DCS API's that work. There is no reason to consider it will be fixed ever, since there is a cross over with server side and the nuances they just can't tell the difference and why one is better/different from another. That's just the way it is.

Thus and I said this WAAAAAAAAAAAY back, we should be using Server API for slot based checking. Communicating with the server environment is done with global flags, its seperate and this is still much heartache.

So AI slot balancer can only really balance against itself and players that take it's slots, and it's way out of scope for this code to try to do otherwise because of the aforementioned bug. Which means...a rewrite OR you do something like I did, which is about as elegant as an elephant.

is the PoC I did. I got bored with it because...why workaround? It only encourages the false belief that you can do anything in code. I saw f99th used it in some of their missions. So the code has been used. I don't believe we should.

The right way would be to create a gameGui.lua that records the player joining and keeps totals, and spawns and RTB's as it needs to keep the balance.

I hope this makes sense.

Is there a way to build a MOOSE.lua that doesn't look for files at startup ? A big file with everything in it. I've seen some bash files but idk wether it's possible or not

You are using the dev uncompiled version. You want the compiled public version. Large file has comments, small one is optimised.

https://github.com/FlightControl-Master/MOOSE/releases

Can I recomend you rewind to a shorter schedule and delete the initlimit for one group to thus prove the spawning is working etc before T/S the long timers?

The point of that would be to rule out any silly stuff with the loading of moose and so on and get right to the spawning timings without ever looking at your logs.

Initlimit can be awkward with group sizes, unit sizes. Spawn scheduled, well starting at long schedules makes your testing take that much longer, no one wants to sit there waiting ;)

Hello, MOOSEfolk!

-- Declare SPAWN objects
 Spawn_Fishbed = SPAWN:New("Fishbed"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Fencer = SPAWN:New("Fencer"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Fitter = SPAWN:New("Fitter"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Foxbat = SPAWN:New("Foxbat"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Mirage = SPAWN:New("Mirage"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Havoc1 = SPAWN:New("Havoc1"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Havoc2 = SPAWN:New("Havoc2"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Hind1 = SPAWN:New("Hind1"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )
 Spawn_Hind2 = SPAWN:New("Hind2"):InitLimit( 1, 1000000 )

Spawn_Mirage:InitRepeatOnEngineShutDown()

Spawn_Mirage:Cleanup (2400)

-- Spawn groups
 Spawn_Mirage:SpawnScheduled(5400,0.5)

Hey Pikey, thanks for the reply. I tried winding back to 30 seconds with no variable..

Spawn_Fishbed:SpawnScheduled(30,1)

But still didn't seem to have any luck. Can you confirm the proper format for InitLimit? I read one post on the master file that implied it it was InitLimit(unitsalive, groupsalive) and a second post that said InitLimit(groupsalive, total groups possible to spawn per mission).

The normal way to use Moose is with a static file. Exactly what you are looking for. I suggest you download a released version which will have a Moose static .lua included. You can also generate it yourself if you are using the LDT against whatever source you have.

Hey Pikey, thanks for the reply. I tried winding back to 30 seconds with no variable..

Spawn_Fishbed:SpawnScheduled(30,1)

But still didn't seem to have any luck. Can you confirm the proper format for InitLimit? I read one post on the master file that implied it it was InitLimit(unitsalive, groupsalive) and a second post that said InitLimit(groupsalive, total groups possible to spawn per mission).

Its Units and Groups. That is why I asked what the size of the group's were defined in the ME. However, you tried with (3, xxxxx) so that should have worked.

This is super simple so there must be something else wrong or you don't have Moose setup properly. Although that should throw all sorts of errors in the log I would think.

Are you on Discord? You can connect there and upload your mission and someone can give it a look.

Hello, MOOSEfolk!

Hi feefifofum, Shouldn't this be rather

Spawn_Fishbed:InitCleanUp(2400)

There seems to be an inconsistency in the usage part of the docs http://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE/Documentation/Spawn.html##(SPAWN).InitCleanUp

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Hi feefifofum, Shouldn't this be rather

Spawn_Fishbed:InitCleanUp(2400)

There seems to be an inconsistency in the usage part of the docs http://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE/Documentation/Spawn.html##(SPAWN).InitCleanUp

Indeed there's a couple in the Spawn docs. Not in the listed command, but the examples people copy and paste.

@Delta99 yea, I'll keep fiddling with things and pop in the Discord if I can't make it happy. Thanks for all the quick responses to both you and Pikey! Seems like it's close, perhaps I just fat-fingered something or missed trying a combination of variables that I thought I experimented with.

For the time being, I'll comment out the cleanup line and just continue focusing on forcing the spawns.

EDIT:

Okay, I've made some progress...sort of...:lol:

Now DCS is hard locking at the point where the script files tries to load. I swapped the Mirages for Floggers for unrelated reasons. Attached .miz with the 30 second spawn test, the .lua and the log files from the crash if someone more familiar is interested in taking a look. I don't see it throwing any significant errors as far as I'm able to tell. Thanks for all your help so far gents!

Operation Sandpants.miz

Op Sandpants30TEST.lua

log.zip

Edited by feefifofum