Structured WWII campaign

Shahdoh

Been thinking over an idea on a WWII "themed" campaign. Manually managed and updated.

Starting resources same for both sides: #number of Fighters, bombers, storage facilities, etc.

Number of storage facilities determines replenishment rates of aircraft from 1 mission to the next. Storage facilities can be replaced instead of aircraft to rebuild infrastructure. Exact details on numbers and such, yet to be determined....

Pilots would register for which side they will fly for and a commander selected. Commanders of each side would give me basic mission plan of attack, other side would not know this plan until mission day. Missions would be created and flown once a week at a mutually agreed upon time, 1 life per mission. Limited aircraft slots available. If more pilots than Aircraft, then that side would need to determine who flies which missions.

These are just a few of the ideas I have had. I am curious as to how many would be interested in this style of campaign. It will be a long drawn out ordeal covering many weeks to diminish the other side into surrender or annihilation.

This would be a strictly Air campaign to keep the mission building simple enough to churn them out once a week.

Thoughts?

Shahdoh

Moderator,

Can you please move this thread to the "Missions and Campaigns" topic area. I feel it is better suited there, than as a wishlist item to ED. This is something I am trying to develope for the community as opposed to asking for ED to do it.

Thank you,

Shahdoh

Edited by Shahdoh

Here is some more detail to what I had in mind.

Each side would start off with:

3 starting cities, each city's starting resource would be:

• 8 Fighters (at this time, per server capabilities, client slots will be restricted to just 12 per side)
  • 10 Bombers
  • **To be determined** amount of AAA
  • 20 Resource buildings, each one representing 5% capability to replenish

Each cities replenishment rate at 100% capability would be 1 of the following:

2 fighter

1 Bomber

20% AAA allotment

Rebuild 5% resource capability

Each side will have the ability to capture up to 3 other cities. To do so, that side must land and have an aircraft at an empty airfield at the end of the mission. Once an airfield has been captured, it will build up to full capacity 25% per week. This does not change the number of client slots available per mission, but does add resources and the ability to attack from an alternate location.

What this creates are options for the commanders to determine what to hit. Either the airfields where there are aircraft to destroy, AAA that is defending either the airfields or city resource buildings, or the resource buildings that affect the replenishment capability of the enemy.

Bombers will be AI and commanders will be able to send up to 5 per city that they control to a target area of their choice. If the bombers reach the target area, 5% of that target area will be destroyed per bomber. Bombers will also be tracked to see if they make it back home so they are available for the next mission.

So, sounding any more interesting yet?

Heheh,

Knew that was coming.. Only part I had in that is that I was on the team that was going to get to use it first. The creator of the team had bought the model rights and had handed it over to others to integrate it into DCS. There were issues and delay after delay. I have no clue to where it is at in its development stage. I got to see it and get some screenshots from a very early integration, but there was no damage model and it absolutely killed the frame rate, was something like 1500 objects per aircraft.

So, we are back to square 1 and using some imagination.

Though at this point, interest seems to be lacking, but will see. I will not be able to get this started until after I finish the Mustang Racing season. If there was going to be enough interest, would flesh out the rest of the details and have it ready to start around the end of July, early August.

ok understood!

well Shadoh...i can understand the so called lack of interest in this somehow...i think that something like that to really make sense, unfortunately a map would be needed...but dont get me wrong, right now everything is a win for us right now, so i would be all for it although im almost exclusively an online player.

I kind of chuckle inside if that is the real hang up for people. I mean, what does the land and the name of the towns matter? This is not intended to be a recreation of any battle. This is a new fight using the tools provided in the location provided. You can throw the names and labels out the window, call the sides whatever you want. It will still come down to can you use your resources and skills to beat the other side.

i agree!still when i hear around in the ww2 sim community...the overwhelming majority gives as a reason to not fly dcs the lack of a map...now the few people who do fly the dcs ww2 aircraft can ignore the lack of a map...for different reasons.i personally can ignore it because of the details went into the cockpits, systems and flight models...and therefore the resulting PvP dogfights...

however,...to fly in singleplayer, i personally would need more to immerse myself when flying against AI, which becomes pretty quickly pretty repetetive....

i guess i am not alone with this...still i would definitely give it a try!

EDIT: i guess what im trying to say is, that im convinced that the same thing would get way more attention if we already had a ww2 map, proper units and such...

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

This sounds pretty awesome... I have a number of ideas as well. I think it might be interesting to have more than one coalition. This would allow the combat groups to have a tournament that isn't just flight group vs. flight group...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I know, you are still at the beginning of your plans, but i got some questions:

- how long is one mission/day - 2hrs, 3hr, or more?

- european server or american server location?

- start time?

- P51D only for blue and 109 & 190 on red; or will you mixed it?

The 373rd. and IAF did something similar with modern aircrafts last year: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=131726

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Thanks for the link on that other campaign, looks extremely well laid out.

Still a lot of things to iron out, but I was looking at mission times a bit longer, 4-6 hours (possibly). Could possibly work in rotation of pilots to accommodate those that can only stay shorter times. These missions will take time to play out, from takeoff, to getting to the target and then retrieval of aircraft. Will be testing things in next few months to get a better idea.

More then likely to be ran on a western US server, but have hosted 15 people on it so far with connections from eastern europe to Australia at the same time with minimal to no warping. (stress tests needed to be performed for higher loads).

Mission schedule would still be in the air, but looking at weekends and trying to accommodate US and European schedules.

Aircraft selection will be Axis vs Allied (barring Russian so AN30 can be used as Axis bomber proxy until the appropriate aircraft are available in game).

Thanks for the interest and ideas.