USB NUMPAD

I saw ruggbutt's thread about his new toy and it made me think...

could a usb numpad, the kind used for notebooks and laptop computers, be used as a poor mans version of that new toy?

IOW does anyone know if the usb numpad will be recognised as a whole new device in the option/controls menu, or will lomac just see it as the regular keyboard's numpad?

if anyone has one but hasnt tried it out yet, I humbly ask that you plug it in to your PC, load up LOMAC, and look in the options/controls menu, click the button next to keyboard [that allows you to switch to your stick and throttle to program them] and see if you now find a new device listed there.

this would really help me out!

I'm using n52, it's just next to my throttle. I've used extra buttons to program several commands.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I have a Saitek game commander, works great :). Yes, it does show up as a new game controller in Coonfiguration --> Game controllers.

2237-09.jpg

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

That Ideea with the Touch screen is very cool (pitty is not organised like the real aircraft screens are, maybe in future versions) but, if you want to get cheaper why not adapt something else and I am not meaning destroyng a perfectly good X45. Why not "destroy" a gamepad?

Like this one

firestorm2analog32qn.jpg

It costs 15 Euros it has two minijoysticks one 4way "hatlike button" and a bunch of others buttons. Imagine it in a box with a F15 weapons control panel look. The ministicks used as MFD and radar slewing etc.

I plan to build one... after I finish my pit.

this one I mean :) my pit WIP

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

i am not a big do it yourself'er, but I do have a good knowledge of electronics.

having seen the inside of a gamepad I know that some switches are closely bunched together, and are just "contact grids" where the switch is actually a small conductive plate that comes down on the grid and closes the switch.

basically what Im saying is I dont have a fear of soldering, but how in the world would I turn switches like that into the the kind I would be buying to put in the front panel of the control box I would be fabricating?

any links to related DIY websites with Ideas are welcome, my google skills must be rusty, all I can find is plans for "gamegirls" and the like

basically what Im saying is I dont have a fear of soldering, but how in the world would I turn switches like that into the the kind I would be buying to put in the front panel of the control box I would be fabricating?

A Switch is basicaly a simple device that interupts/restore the continuity of a conductor. So you can replace it with any other kind of switch at will. I wouldn't use one used for turning on High Voltage Power Grids though for replacing one lttle mouse or gamepad switch :P.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I'm using the ministick on X52 as well to control radar slew, and in A-10/Su-25/T I use it to controll ripple quantity and interval.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Zaelu,

what I mean about the switches is this...

switches I buy have wires coming off of them-to wire it into the circuit.

these game pads dont have wired in switches, they are just a peice of rubber that pushes down onto a "grid" on the printed circuit board.

the only way i can see to put the gamepad into a box is bunch up the buttons like they are on the gamepad and get extenders to hit the rubber "button"

it is either that or drill into the PCB and wire in the switches, I guess that is what Im left with

oh well

...or drill into the PCB and wire in the switches, I guess that is what Im left with

oh well

I like your thinking. :D

I had a USB steering wheel and I saw inside that not all buttons are "remote controller type" some of them are separate switches but, for the rest... drill is the solution I supose :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks to all for the info and ideas on canniblizing a game pad but if anyone out there does get a chance to try out a usb numpad the way I suggested in the original post that would be greatly appreciated :helpsmilie:

[since I currently dont have the time in the near future to devote to fabing a box and rewiring athe PCB on a game pad- though if I did have the time I would seriously do it ... in fact I would make the time but I dont need anymore analog axis's , just about 4 or 5 function keys, and I dont want to remap over the default settings on the keyboard]

thanks

Zoot,

I've tried the laptop 10-Key and the PC sees it as the number keys on the keyboard, not as numpad numbers. Lockon doesn't see it as a seperate device either, so it wasn't really worth it IMO.

to dizz and ruggbutt,

thanks for the input, I see what you mean. heres a thouroughly confusing fact to throw in the mix.

an online retailer sells usb numpads which are "asynchronous" and "can be used seperatly and at the same time as your laptop's keyboard"

i wonder if this would appear as a different device.

I would get one and try it out but it is just as expensive as a the belkin or saitek game commander FPS game/key pads.

ooh well, maybe Ill just rebind a few of the defaults on the keyboard and save myself 35 bucks [until I get enough for ruggbutt's toy that is;) ]