Brisse

Activation/deactivation getting tedious with so many modules  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Activation/deactivation getting tedious with so many modules

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know or care

Hello!

Just wanted to share an observation I made when I recently went from Windows 7 to 10 using a fresh install. I own almost all currently released modules. Before I wiped out my storage I deactivated all my DCS modules. I used to think the process of deactivation and activation was okay, but now that there are so many modules available we are getting into a situation were it becomes very tedious. Sooner or later it will become unacceptable, and personally I think we are already there. It will only get worse when more modules are released unless something is done to fix the problem.

There are reasons why I cry out about this. I want to get ED's attention, so that they can see that there is a problem and to make sure our opinions are available to them. I am curious to see if more customers agree with me and I'm putting up a poll to see if this is the case. I also want to encourage you to voice your opinion and possible solutions in the thread. I hope ED can do something to make the process easier, and I hope this thread leads us there.

maybe ask in this topic if they already did something about that for DCS 2.0 ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

I recently deactivated all my 11 modules using the Protect.exe in every case, I got a message at the end of each process saying deactivation successful, but was not offered any sort of re activation code, therefore loosing 11 activations in one go, so yes, something here needs to change.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

I recently deactivated all my 11 modules using the Protect.exe in every case, I got a message at the end of each process saying deactivation successful, but was not offered any sort of re activation code, therefore loosing 11 activations in one go, so yes, something here needs to change.

You did not lose anything. When you deactivate, it allows you to reactivate using the same activation (your count will not go down). There is no reactivation code needed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You did not lose anything. When you deactivate, it allows you to reactivate using the same activation (your count will not go down). There is no reactivation code needed.

Do you loose an activation on the very first install?

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

Yes, but you get it back if you deactivate before uninstalling.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OK, understood. I was reading the manual on Starfoce activation and deactivation when I did mine, it must be out of date, clearly says you will be given an activation code.

Thanks for clarifying.

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

H100i CPU Cooler

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

+1

So it isn't just me that thinks this ;-)

I change HDD, OP systems and general hardware configurations probably more than most and I can say it is very annoying to have to do all the de-activation and reactivations everytime for DCS modules, as well as other similiar protections based games you may have.

I would like to see an easier one click system.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Last Friday I built my new system and reinstalled DCS, downloaded and installed the modules (I have all of them). Logged in to my account in the module manager, set up a simple mission in the mission editor and pressed fly. DCS automatically activated all my products (one by one, no typing keys involved), except the mig-21 which did require to type the key manually. Not really a problem for me there.

I found transferring my custom controls to the fresh install more tedious. Because of my new PC, the TM Warthog and rudder pedals got different hardware id's. I had to rename a bunch of LUA files to make it work... Would there have been an easier way around?

Save the profiles in the old install and load them in the new install.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a post here on this page, I won't put it here, it's too big: "http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=141699&page=3".

The activation counter will not change but you lose a deactivation each time you deactivate one module, out from a total of 10 deactivations down to 0, at which point you will be further unable to deactivate hence you will start to consume the activations.

There are other and better activation solutions out there, this Starforce activation has to be changed.

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz + Tt ISGC-300, Asus Z77-A, Asus R9 290X OC DC2, Corsair 16 GB RAM 1333 MHz, SSD Intel 330 180GB, Asus Xonar DG, Cooler Master CM 690 II, Razer, Super Flower Golden King 750W, Razer BW Ultimate Stealth + Imperator, Saitek X52 Pro, Win 8.1, Benq XL2411Z 24"