BL755 Cluster Bomb

Skjold

The MiG-21 seems to be able to carry BL755 british cluster bombs on its inner pylons.

Edit: Should have read the manual, lapse of judgement after way too many hours of 1.5 in a row.

BEF987E93EF459B404A62381FD153258911D9BC2

Edited by Skjold

So...

Might be that the Finnish airforce used them?

Serbia use them.

My bad, i had no idea that they were employed on the MiG-21. Is this bomb new on the 21 becouse i don't remember seeing it?

You can close this report.

It has Always been an option. But IIRC, you need to release it in level-flight to be effective, if you dive on the target too much, the bomb just ploughs itself into the ground without exploding. And because there is no reliable way of deliviring the bomb in level-flight in the MiG-21, nobody really uses it.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

It has Always been an option. But IIRC, you need to release it in level-flight to be effective, if you dive on the target too much, the bomb just ploughs itself into the ground without exploding. And because there is no reliable way of deliviring the bomb in level-flight in the MiG-21, nobody really uses it.

BL755s were used during 1990s in ex-Yugoslavia. Two of them were even accidentally dropped in Hungary by Serbian J-22 Orao :D.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1991/Yugoslav-Warplane-Bombs-Hungarian-Village-Official-Calls-It-Accident/id-2dfde117a1ea65321c4964ee43595789

• 1 month later...

As real Mig-21 manual* said to reach some level-flight bombing run just try to keep this figures: Alt (from radio alt) =200m Speed =1000Km/h. You'll see a bomb piper just enough in front of optical sight. Keeping speed and alt as above gives you chance to damn fast and pretty accurate bombing run.

*Manual I've got is from MF version, but still this technique works.

Edited by Simon81

As real Mig-21 manual* said to reach some level-flight bombing run just try to keep this figures: Alt (from radio alt) =200m Speed =1000Km/h. You'll see a bomb piper just enough in front of optical sight. Keeping speed and alt as above gives you chance to damn fast and pretty accurate bombing run.

I've tried that as well. But the MiG-21 is really not a bomber at all. And does the BL755 (or any other cluster munition) ever get the chance of deploying at that altitude?

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

It works. I set the sight to manual, full down angle. I was climbing a bit when I released because I messed up the approach, but I hit the target and and didn't kill myself. :D