[NO BUG] rudder action weirdness (youtube vid demonstration)

SDsc0rch

i searched on "rudder" and didn't find anything remotely resembling this

when i'm starting up the f-15, part of my process is i "stir" the stick through its full range of motion and move the rudder pedals - then i turn around and check the movement of the control surfaces

when i look, i see something odd

i demonstrate that here...

---- aileron vs rudder movement -- pre flight cockpit wipe

TLDR: full left stick results in LEFT rudder - and full right stick also results in... LEFT rudder

but left and right pedal application results in correct control surface deflection

that just looks odd to me

anyone know what's going on here??

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kindof busy at work and not able to fully soak in what you're asking.. But I think you're seing the rudder interlink. When moving the stick you should have rudder movement. It is meant to counter adverse yaw when inputting roll commands to the ailerons.

Well... Umm just read fully what you said.. Yeah umm thats not right.. :P

Edited by pr1malr8ge

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.

If you cycle the stick too fast, you will see rudders moving only one side because they cannot move fast enough.

Stick LEFT-NEUTRAL = small RIGHT rudder

Stick LEFT-AFT = full LEFT rudder

Stick LEFT-FWD = full RIGHT rudder

Stick RIGHT-NEUTRAL = small LEFT rudder

Stick RIGHT-AFT = full RIGHT rudder

Stick RIGHT-FWD = full LEFT rudder

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

i searched on "rudder" and didn't find anything remotely resembling this

when i'm starting up the f-15, part of my process is i "stir" the stick through its full range of motion and move the rudder pedals - then i turn around and check the movement of the control surfaces

when i look, i see something odd

i demonstrate that here...

---- aileron vs rudder movement -- pre flight cockpit wipe

TLDR: full left stick results in LEFT rudder - and full right stick also results in... LEFT rudder

but left and right pedal application results in correct control surface deflection

that just looks odd to me

anyone know what's going on here??

Do a lateral wipe, on the cross with zero longitudinal stick movement. Use rCtrl+enter to verify no forward aft movement. The rudder will stay centered with no longitundal input because the ARI is a function of stabilator position.

As aft stick is increased during lateral input, proverse rudder should increase to counter adverse yaw induced by differential aileron/stabilator deflection.

If you increase forward stick with lateral input, adverse rudder should increase to counter proverse yaw.

Edited by SinusoidDelta

yep - you're right

i *thought* i was putting in pure left-right stick - actually i was also adding in fore/aft unintentionally, thus causing the rudder behavior i was observing

if you put in full aileron, then move the stick fore and aft, you'll see the rudders deflect fully left and right

hmm!

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team
I completely forgot that while the ARI schedule may be correct, ARI function should be disabled with the landing gear extended. Hopefully this is corrected in a future update.

It is disabled. Except for when you are stationary, because you can perform ground check of ARI function as written in TO

Thanks for the response. Does the ARI deactivate at a certain air speed? I checked this evening only by watching external view and it didn't appear to disengage. The only way I could disengage rudder deflection from stabilator position was by disabling the YAW CAS channel. I apologize if I'm missing something here.