Periodic Stutter/FPS Drop

Hello all,

I was having some performance issues with DCS World 1.5 beta earlier this week.

Specs:

i7 4790K OC 4.4Ghz WaterCooled

16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengence

Nvidia GTX 680

Primary SSD Kingston SV300 240GB

Storage Two 1TB WD Greens in RAID 0

I had DCS 1.5 beta installed on the RAID 0 Configuration and was experiencing periodic stutters with FPS drop according to fraps.

I began investigating different graphics configurations adjusting all graphics setting one by one to see the impacts they were having.

In my case, using the P51 vs FW190 instant action as a test, I found that trees, bushes/clutter and shadows had an appreciable impact on these periodic stutters.

However I did not eliminate the stutter/fps drop completely until I put DCS World 1.5 beta onto my SSD. I use an older GTX 680, I have medium to high settings with no stutter/fps drop any more.

I must stress I did not have continuous stutter in quick succession but during the course of a mission there would be an FPS drop with a definite stutter/lag periodically.

Hope this helps someone else and developers.

Flare:surrender:

Infirtaris

Hello all,

Specs:

i7 4790K OC 4.4Ghz WaterCooled

16GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengence

Nvidia GTX 680

Primary SSD Kingston SV300 240GB

Storage Two 1TB WD Greens in RAID 0

I had DCS 1.5 beta installed on the RAID 0 Configuration and was experiencing periodic stutters with FPS drop according to fraps.

I began investigating different graphics configurations adjusting all graphics setting one by one to see the impacts they were having.

In my case, using the P51 vs FW190 instant action as a test, I found that trees, bushes/clutter and shadows had an appreciable impact on these periodic stutters.

However I did not eliminate the stutter/fps drop completely until I put DCS World 1.5 beta onto my SSD. I use an older GTX 680, I have medium to high settings with no stutter/fps drop any more.

I must stress I did not have continuous stutter in quick succession but during the course of a mission there would be an FPS drop with a definite stutter/lag periodically.

Hope this helps someone else and developers.

Flare:surrender:

Infirtaris

It shouldn't matter if the game is installed on a HD or a SSD drive there should be 0 shutters or FPS Drops like others are experiencing.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander Jason "Punisher" M

Hardware:
i7 10700K 5 GHz Quad Core, Water-cooled , 32GBs 2400 DDR4 RAM, MSI Intel Z470A GAMING MB, MSI RTX 3080 GPU W/10GBs GDDR6X, 512GB NVME.2 SSD, 1TB NVME.2 SSD, 2TB External SSD, 2 512Gb SSD's & 1 350 Gb HARDDRIVE, WinWing Orion 2 Stick Base and Throttle Base, Quest 2, Windows 11 (64bit)

Hello all,

Infirtaris

Had similar(ish) issues myself initially. My own silver bullet that seems to have solved all my jittering and made things run buttery smooth were as follows -

- Used NVIDIA inspector and deleted the existing DCS profile

- Created a new one by adding the dcs.exe from the open.beta location

- Set the following

--- Triple Buffering ON

--- Vertical Sync Smooth AFR ON

--- Vertical Sync Tear control STANDARD

--- Vertical Sync FORCE ON

- Ensure game is in full screen mode (LALT + Enter) (I have to do this every time I enter the game)

- Turned VSYNC off in the game

From that point onwards I've had nothing but joy with things.

YMMV.

Cheers.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

I had the stutter problem, no matter what config I use. Moving the game to my SSD solved all stuttering issues.

Now I'm really enjoying it!

-- Ryzen 7 2700X / 16gB DDR4 2666 / HP ex920 1tB SSD NVME / GeForce GTX1080ti / HOTAS Warthog / TrackIR 5--

I had the stutter problem, no matter what config I use. Moving the game to my SSD solved all stuttering issues.

Now I'm really enjoying it!

(For future users with similar issues)

This is "Potentially" a motherboard issue not an SSD issue. As the position of the device on the motherboards controller dictates its speed. Those boards with other manufactures chipsets running the drives. Such is the case with

boards that have raid controllers.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Had similar(ish) issues myself initially. My own silver bullet that seems to have solved all my jittering and made things run buttery smooth were as follows -

- Used NVIDIA inspector and deleted the existing DCS profile

- Created a new one by adding the dcs.exe from the open.beta location

- Set the following

--- Triple Buffering ON

--- Vertical Sync Smooth AFR ON

--- Vertical Sync Tear control STANDARD

--- Vertical Sync FORCE ON

- Ensure game is in full screen mode (LALT + Enter) (I have to do this every time I enter the game)

- Turned VSYNC off in the game

From that point onwards I've had nothing but joy with things.

YMMV.

Cheers.

This information is very useful. If Mohamed can't come to the mountain then we as users should bring the mountain to Mohamed.

For those non-English speaking users that, simply stated means we should post our own Nvidia Profile using inspector. Until one is created by Nvidia which may never happen.

I also run smooth as silk with these settings.

Maybe after a few more users post their results it could be a sticky in the performance section of the Forum.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 8 months later...
This information is very useful. If Mohamed can't come to the mountain then we as users should bring the mountain to Mohamed.

For those non-English speaking users that, simply stated means we should post our own Nvidia Profile using inspector. Until one is created by Nvidia which may never happen.

I also run smooth as silk with these settings.

Maybe after a few more users post their results it could be a sticky in the performance section of the Forum.

I'm currently using Gsync with vsync off; experiencing micro stutters in 1.5.4. I'm thinking it's worth a shot to try your settings with just traditional vsync.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...

finally solved periodic stuttering / pauses

I had a lot of stuttering, micro-pauses every few seconds that made the game unplayable, even with lowest graphic-settings. Finally I was able to solve this, and i like to share my insights:

While in flight, DCS constantly writes track-data to the folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS

I moved my TEMP-Folders to another disk, as described here. After system reboot all my stuttering was gone :thumbup:. Root cause was a performance issue with my old kingston ssd (Model-Nr. KC300), it had very low read/write performance with small files. I verfied this with AS SSD Benchmark (4K: read 21,5 MB/s, write 18,17 MB/s).

I moved my System to a new SSD (a Kingston KC400), reverted the TEMP-Folders to default location (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp) and from now on DCS runs very smooth.

• Like 1

--------------------------------------------

i7 12700F | 64GB | RTX 4090 | Asus Z690-P WIFI D4 | 2TB SSD