Does the F14 we get have IRST?

domini99

How do you think about this LANTIRN tgp?

I seriously hope LN puts it in, but I'm not sure if they were there already in early to mid 90's

They were not (the first deployment with LTS was in 1996 IIRC), but LN said that they might consider it.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

B never carried an IRS/IRST. The early F-14A carried an IRS and the F-14D carried the IRST/TCS. So no, never, not in a million years.....

I was under the impression that some of the late ones had the double IRST/TCS, but you're right.

Some illustrations:

f14-detail-chinpods.jpg

Edited by Hummingbird

• 2 months later...

The IRST was very much used. More than you think actually. Despite it's main role being A to A warfare, it was used to look at other aircraft. Simply looking at something can give you intel. Remember the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words?" The TCS system was used in a similar way, but more during the day time, while the IRST was more for the night time. The way the pilot and nfo would use these devices is usually by slaving them to the RADAR. It's a very frustrating system to actually slew around and lock on manually from what I remember. I had a buddy who actually smashed an IRST by falling. It completely shattered the crystal, which is made of Germanium I believe. A 2million dollar device....

Edited by bullettweak

• 3 years later...

As this thread has resurfaced I feel like clarifying a little bit! :-)

There was a big difference between the two different IR systems, the -D IRST was a much, much more capable system. Being digital and capable of generating an IR picture.

The -A IR could not generate an IR picture at all and was more akin to a more advanced IR-missile seekerhead. The screen display was much more like an oscilloscope screen or a basic radar screen where the RIO had to find a heat spike and lock onto that.

Apart from that, which made the system difficult to use, the performance wasn't at all up to any usable standard.

This is the reason for the early IR system being dropped very early and while we do in fact have detailed information on it it would be at the bottom of our list of stuff to add.

Mostly due to the fact that the selected era for our -A is later and that the Irani F-14 never had them.

Not saying it won't happen but it's ahistorical for our modelled -A and it would be much work to add for a system that wouldn't be very useful.

[...]

Apart from that, which made the system difficult to use, the performance wasn't at all up to any usable standard.

[...]

it would be much work to add for a system that wouldn't be very useful.

Interesting to hear that things are prioritized depending on how "useful" they are in aiding the F-14 air to air competitiveness.

That's not it at all though, it's just the system not being used in the modelled era and that it was in general just shit tbh. That wouldn't change even if it could be used for air to ground.

Our goal will always be an accurate simulation regardless of how effective it is in the simulator.

And in this case the effort to simulate it is out of proportion to the actual use it would be for anything even if you completely disregard that it's not realistic on this era F-14.