Rudder authority?

gospadin

I recognize the jet is FBW, but I wouldn't expect this:

I fly straight and level. Speed 300kts. Altitude 13,000'.

Heading is 190.

I deflect the rudder fully to the right for 10 seconds. Nose points 220 or so.

Let go of the pedals, and the plane centers itself, resuming flight at roughly 190, within 2-3 degrees.

I'd expect continuous rudder deflection to result in a realized heading change, is this not how the plane works?

I tried at a mix of speeds, and there's no speed I can find at which the rudder actually steers the plane through a turn. Is this normal?

Edit: BTW, this is exactly how the F-15 behaved prior to the 1.2.15/16 update as well.

Tried holding the rudder for longer? 10 seconds is not long enough to make a big heading change.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

is this not how the plane works?

Well, no.

Aircraft having roll/yaw coordination, rudder is hardly ever used IRL in normal flight. Mostly for specific phases such asr T/O, landing, taxiing and AAR.

It has reduced authority if the landing gear is up.

spacer.png

What about maneuvers like a knife-edge pass? The F-16's FBW system requires top rudder and forward stick pressure to maintain altitude and heading. The M2000's nose will drop more if top rudder is added, but won't maintain altitude without rudder input.

I noticed this behaviour as well. It behaves pretty much as all Belsimtek plane modules did for quite a long time. Fortunately, they have corrected this for F-15, F-86, MiG-15.

I tested this at 300 and 200-150kts. Pressed left rudder pedal fully and used the stick to keep the wings level. In outside view you can see clearly the beta angle generated is pretty huge. However the aircraft turns at an almost negligible rate (and I tested this for a lot longer than 10 sec...). This can't be correct, not for this aircraft and not for any aircraft. An aircraft flying horizontally with a substantial beta angle can't possibly fly in a straight line (or almost straight line as in this case).

I noticed this behaviour as well. It behaves pretty much as all Belsimtek plane modules did for quite a long time. Fortunately, they have corrected this for F-15, F-86, MiG-15.

I tested this at 300 and 200-150kts. Pressed left rudder pedal fully and used the stick to keep the wings level. In outside view you can see clearly the beta angle generated is pretty huge. However the aircraft turns at an almost negligible rate (and I tested this for a lot longer than 10 sec...). This can't be correct, not for this aircraft and not for any aircraft. An aircraft flying horizontally with a substantial beta angle can't possibly fly in a straight line (or almost straight line as in this case).

Now do this with the landing gears down

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

people who say that its working as intended as to the manual need to consider this if the manual said that you made cake with razorblades would you believe it to be the main ingredient.

the behavior is somewhat correct in terms of the authority that it gives the rudder based on gear up or down but something else is also missing.

• 3 weeks later...