F-16 A, B, C, MLU

Frank00

The first and the second sentence seem a bit contradictory.

In what way? Could you elaborate please?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

In what way? Could you elaborate please?

Well first it says that you're hearing the pulse repetition frequency of the emitter, then it says that it's clamped to 3000Hz. It doesn't make much sense to me, but i'm not familiar with the RWR unit.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I would assume that's because sounds above 3000 and below 500 Hz are difficult to discern through whatever other noise is present. The general usefulness of such a feature is to cue the pilot to the relative PRF of an emitter, since high and low PRFs indicate different things.

Edited by aaron886

Close call for F-16 block 50 from Misawa AB

This is a direct PDF link

http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftAccidentReports/Documents/2018/02202018_F16CM_Misawa.pdf

The mishap flight (MF) consisted of two F-16CM aircraft. The mishap flight’s pre-flight, start, and taxi were uneventful until the departure phase of flight.The mishap pilot (MP) departed runway (RWY) 28, fifteen seconds after the mishap lead pilot (MLP). Shortly after the afterburner takeoff, Misawa air traffic controllers informed the MP and the mishap lead pilot (MLP) that the MP had a large flame coming from the aft section of the MP’s aircraft. The MLP also contacted the MP regarding the fire. During the MP’s ascent, he noticed an unexpected decay in his airspeed and climb rate. The MP took a right turn back towards RWY 28, and when unable to maintain airspeed or altitude, the MP jettisoned his stores (external fuel tanks) in accordance with F-16CM critical actions procedures. Following the jettison, the MA regained some airspeed and achieved a better climb rate to get in to a position to land. The MP landed on RWY 28, and accomplished the emergency engine shutdown and emergency ground egress critical action procedures. There were no injuries resulting from the mishap. The MP’s actions during the mishap sequence were focused, precise, and appropriate; his actions did not contribute to the mishap. A review of maintenance procedures revealed several past actions that were causal to the accident.

11202018%20Misawa%20Report.jpg

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2018/November%202018/Misawa-F-16-Mishap-Caused-by-Years-Old-Maintenance-Issues-Investigation-Finds.aspx

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Ouch! This could have ended VERY badly.

Skimming through the accident-report tells me a few things:

- Someone mistook the maint' shop for the church (Someone BELIEVED when they should have KNOWN. You believe in church, you know in the maint' shop)

- Someone thought instead of making sure.

- Someone hasn't kept up to speed on the obsoletion of parts and TCTO's.

That this wasn't a complete write-off of the aircraft is down to pilot skill and blind luck, pretty much. Wouldn't be surprised if a few heads rolled in the 35MX over this.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I know. The fire burn through one of the exhaust nozzle oil lines, and the nozzle uses engine oil for that. So not only was the engine on fire, it was leaking engine oil.

To whom it may concern,

An oil-fuelled fire in a confined space with limited airflow, since the engine-bay airflow was disrupted through the shifted casing.

Yeah, not really a situation I'd want to be in :P

Regards

Fjordmonkey

An oil-fuelled fire in a confined space with limited airflow, since the engine-bay airflow was disrupted through the shifted casing.

Yeah, not really a situation I'd want to be in :P

Well not the engine bay airflow but the engine outer case airflow. So still within the engine. But you are right, an ugly situation in all the ways possible. The GE engine use a lot of that airflow between the core and the outer case for cooling as obvious by the images.

To whom it may concern,

Some other engines use the main fuel to control the nozzles, imagine if that was the case here. It could make things even worse.

Thanks for sharing that @mvsgas!

Your welcome. What engine/s uses fuel to move the variable nozzle?

To whom it may concern,

Some other engines use the main fuel to control the nozzles, imagine if that was the case here. It could make things even worse.

I know that some rocket-engines circulate cryogenic fuel through cooling-channels on/in the nozzle, but was unaware that any jet-engines used fuel to control the nozzle.

This is also why I like the F100PW220E's, where the Nozzle is driven by the CENC, using compressed bleed-air. It's also one of the simplest ways to tell a GE-bird from a PW-bird, as the PW's tweet when the throttle-position is changed.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Oh, here I am using the Blackbird as an example again :D I actually tried to look it up a bit more, initially, I thought the F-4 with its GE J79s (probably because of AgentJayZ videos - he has a ton of videos about nozzle actuators) used main fuel to control the variable nozzles, but my memory was wrong. J79 also uses the engine oil to actuate the primary and secondary nozzles, the same thing with the F110 and the F100 uses the bleed air as ShadowXP explained above. But yes the J58 on the incredible SR-71 used to use main fuel (JP-7) to actuate the nozzles. The engine had for actuators, the pressure was a function of engine speed (RPM), the signals were sent from the main fuel control system.

JP-7 used to do so many things in the Blackbird, it's quite impressive.

ZlgayOV.jpg

tOjucV3.jpg

The JP-7 fuel was a whole different beast. There are oils that are more volatile and unstable that that fuel.

Both the GE F110 and the PW F100 use fuel to actuate the IGV/VSV (GE) or CIVV/RCVV (PW)

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

Check out the hydraulic fluid leak from the B system reservoir onto the left Main Landing Gear (MLG) door during engine start. Someone over service it. :doh:

To whom it may concern,

There is a question that bothers me since quite some time. It seems the US Air Force never uses external power during startup of their birds. While of course I know that they all have autonomous startup capability, in the European air forces it is standard procedure to always use ex power when available. It makes sense to power up all systems without engines running. So what are the procedures and reasons in the US?

There is a question that bothers me since quite some time. It seems the US Air Force never uses external power during startup of their birds. While of course I know that they all have autonomous startup capability, in the European air forces it is standard procedure to always use ex power when available. It makes sense to power up all systems without engines running. So what are the procedures and reasons in the US?

It is not standard procedure to start with external power, it is aircraft specific. Some aircraft need it, in some aircraft it is prefer and some don't need it at all.

To me it does not make since to power the system without engine running. This means you are not testing the generators, their back ups and circuitry. Additionally some systems (depending on the aircraft and other factors) may loose power when transferring from external power to main aircraft generator power.

Lastly, AFAIK, most aircraft that need external power to start, only use it to start. Non of the system are activated until the engine are running.

Talking F-16 specifically, the is no benefit to having external power on. In addition, external power on without cooling air will heat the electronics and if done for to long can and will damage them.

To whom it may concern,

So the F-16 has no internal cooling fans for ground ops? She needs an external cooling unit?

For ground ops? For running external electrical power on the ground for extended periods or time during maintenance? Yes, is need an external cooling unit or a source of external bleed air.

To whom it may concern,

To whom it may concern,

Do we know which aircraft are those? Meaning tail number. The one on the fore ground looks like J-001 but I am not sure.

To whom it may concern,