Shkval won't lock targets

Rawx Najjar

Clear line of sight

Laser turned on

Master arm turned on

Weapons power turned on

Weapons selected

Daylight

Still cannot lock these targets. Take a look at the video. There is no audio but my microphone stream can be heard, when you hear clicks that's me pressing the lock button, however all the Shkval does is display range, I'm unable to lock. Pressed the button, held it for a few seconds, nothing. Reset weapons, turn laser on and off, turn weapon power on and off and master arm on and off didn't help either.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBgOaG1T_eY&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Later today I could lock on to some targets, however other targets were also unlockable. All of this was from a very low altitude (<20m).

This was online, these units may have respawned as they do on this server (DCS-NL), maybe that's the issue, perhaps the Shkval doesn't "see" units that respawned?

I had the same problem in the single player mode with the first Ka 50 game. Sometimes it would lock and sometimes not. Never did found a fix for it. Have you tried to use the keyboard key for target lock. Can't remember if I tried that or not.

No madder how bad it is, it could always be worse.

Still cannot lock these targets. Take a look at the video. There is no audio but my microphone stream can be heard, when you hear clicks that's me pressing the lock button, however all the Shkval does is display range, I'm unable to lock. Pressed the button, held it for a few seconds, nothing. Reset weapons, turn laser on and off, turn weapon power on and off and master arm on and off didn't help either.

Later today I could lock on to some targets, however other targets were also unlockable. All of this was from a very low altitude (<20m).

Quite possible you are out of range, try going in to 8km.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

I tried after this video was taken, no dice. And then a Tunguska got me :music_whistling:

To test it I later respawned and successfully locked on to a friendly tent from >10km.

Also today I couldn't target two units from within range, one was a MANPADS guy which I don't know if you can even lock on to, but the other was an Osa.

You are too far. The Shkval lock on a distance this far is a lottery. Also, you can try to make your locking cage smaller, that sometimes helps.

Also, sometimes tweaking the brightness and contrast can help (I read that, never tried that personally, you can try and see).

Also, if you can not lock a target, switch your weapons to manual (leftmost switch on the center weapons panel, right below the unoperable black jettison button) and fire anyway, vikhr will follow the laser, it does not care if it is locked, or not. Just don't be further than ~8km away (even that distance is not certain in windy conditions)

My setup: Intel i3 4170, NVidia GTX960, 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz, 128GB Kingston SSD, FaceTrackNOIR

Modules: KA-50, Mig-21, SU-27, Mi-8

If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe

Indeed, the Skhval tracks targets by using contrast, so somtimes you need to fiddle with the contrast setting to make it stick.

From your video, it didn't look like you had turned on the "Ground Moving Target" tracking button. Have you tried that? Believe it's the lower right button in that blue 4-button cluster on the same console where you turn on the targeting laser.

The DCS Shkval doesn't use contrast although it looks like it. It uses the information from the server to determine if a target is really present at those coordinates. You can't lock a tree regardless of contrast, a real Shkval would happily track it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

At these distances, you wouldn't get Launch authorization. Too far away. Also, your laser would be burning (getting hotter) for longer, which would require you to change helicopter sooner than usual, because your laser would fail sooner. Since you cannot get LA at these distances, you should switch to manual mode. "A" key is I believe a default. Or switch a switch in cockpit. For distances above 9 km, aim higher, ie. above the target. It is almost impossible for Vikhr to reach anything beyond 10 km.

For instance, if a target is at 8.5 k away, aim directly at it, or to the turret and you'll get a hit. At 9.5 km, aim two heights of a target above it, depending on your altitude, and you will get a hit with second or a third missile. Experiment. Manual mode is nice if you have to kill a nasty Tor or something ;) .

Yep Cruiser18 your right. He don't have Ground Moving Target turn on. you can see that in video. I just tried it. Could lock all the targets I want with it on but when I turned it off I couldn't lock anything.

Edited by 4thfg_Goose

No madder how bad it is, it could always be worse.

You're too far from the target, IIRC max laser distance is 15km. Useful for DL target areas. In order to Lock a target you must be within 9km, sometimes less depending on weather conditions and/or size of the target.

GMT mode is only used to calculate the movement of the weapons systems themselves. ie, GMT will calculate how far ahead of a moving target your gun or any other weapon should initialy be fired in order to strike the target.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.