Effectiveness of Mk-82s against ships

Jacks

Last night I decided to fly an anti-ship mission using both mk-82s and snakeyes and I was able to hit the ships in about 80% of runs. The problem is that some ships such as destroyers can take many bombs to the chest without showing any sign of damage or sinking. A few ships do start burning once hit such as the tankers and cargo ships and the Russian small missile covervette.

I am now designing a small coop mission to destroy some ships and so can any recommend some appropriate Russian warships that can be destroyed using a normal loadout of mk-82s or snakeyes?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

Mk-82 bombs are not big, I think you will need several of them to sink a ship unless you are really really lucky. Especially if you hit the deck. Big ships will even need several Mk-84 or similar stuff. Those are warships, they can take some fire.

I would probably start with the smallest ones, for a co-op mission the Corvette may be a nice target.

In real life you might try dropping the bombs just a bit next to the ship, as close as possible (at least I read somewhere that was a tactic in WW2 for bombers to sink ships). In DCSW (or any other sim I know) that won't work though.

In the Falklands War quite a number of british warships have been sunk by unexploded bombs which just smashed through the ship and caused leaks and fires. But that kind of damage isn't simulated in DCS which offers just simple health bars for those units AFAIK.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In the Falklands War quite a number of british warships have been sunk by unexploded bombs which just smashed through the ship and caused leaks and fires. But that kind of damage isn't simulated in DCS which offers just simple health bars for those units AFAIK.

The only British ship sunk by a Unexploded bomb was HMS Antelope and that was because it exploded while it was being disarmed. Every other ship hit by a bomb that didn`t explode survived and was repaired.

The only British ship sunk by a Unexploded bomb was HMS Antelope and that was because it exploded while it was being disarmed. Every other ship hit by a bomb that didn`t explode survived and was repaired.

You're right, by the way Admiral Woodward depicted the bombings in his memoirs I was ander the impression that the unexploded bombs actually sunk some ships, because they did cause severe damage (including fires and leaks) and killed several sailors.

It's a shame, that DCS doesn't simulate those things. A more detailed damage handling is really needed especially for naval units.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, the water hammer effect of a near miss is sometime more likely to sink a ship than an actual hit.

I don't think so. Damage? Yes. But sink a ship? No way.

About mk82 remember that HMS Coventry in may 1982 was hit by three 250kg bombs and sunk in 20 minutes.

Plymouth was hit by 4 bombs that didn't explode, one casualty, minor damage.

Near misses where many, but none caused a ship to sink.

damage at or below the waterline is far more dangerous to a vessel then any other spot on the ship. Not including a direct hit to a magazine well ofcourse.

think of this....I can shoot the cabin of a civilian vessel with a rifle all day long and this boat will probably never sink, but if i hit it right at the waterline with just one shot, it will certainly go down if not repaired.

Most antiship missiles are programmed to hit near the waterline. A hit to the tower does not sink ships.

The only thing more venerable is the keel, once again not counting direct magazine hits, which still falls into the at or below the waterline area.

I agree with all of you, a more robust damage model would be nice in the future. But not until I get my F-18.

secondly, weapon and ship damage modeling is a DCS problem. Not a M2000c issue.

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Most antiship missiles are programmed to hit near the waterline. A hit to the tower does not sink ships.

Indeed.

But it may put it out of combat. IRL interesting since another ship may try to tow him away.

So potentially damaging one ship may temporarily put a second ship out of the fight.

(During Falklands war, HMS Sheffield sunk while being towed away).

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi