Getting new RAM, a few PC questions..

So recently I've upgraded my graphics card and I've converted from win7 to windows 10 on a brand new SSD with a fresh install and nothing on my drive except DCS. The main reason for these upgrades are because I'm trying to decrease crashing to desktop and increase playing performance. Currently running an i72600k. With the recent upgrades I'm loving the performance. However, I still have certain crashes that now becoming apparent is more than likely my RAM going bad. I currently have 4 sticks of 4GB DDR3. I am going to completely repleace my ram hopefully tomorrow in hopes of at lease decreasing the regularity of the crashing (not just DCS). The few questions i have are;

1. I have DDR3(2400hz i think?) can i upgrade to DDR4 is that compatable? are slots the same?

2. The big debate, i have 4of4GB for 16G, should i continue with that or get 2 of 8 (i do not OC) so does this even make a difference? When i built the PC years ago i heard it was "faster" to have multiples of 4 than two of 8 (someone please put this to rest for me lol :help smilie: )

3. Should I or is it requrired to reinstall DCS (currently the only thing on my shiny new SSD) I ask this because i heard bad ram makes some files corrupt or something like that? not really sure what i believe so-- a. necessary to re-install clean? and b. would you recommend it if its not "required" or would that be a waste of time and valuable flying :pilotfly:

4. I seem to be happy with 16GB if i even added up to 24GB would that be any more performance? noticeable? not worth the money? currently hold stable at 60FPS during low level flight at mach1 in the mirage which is pretty good benchmark for me personally.

I want to make this change ASAP (hopefully tomorrow) so any hep is appreciated only if you have a few answers! thanks guys!

oh and Last question/opinion/hypothesis

Most crashes point to different items, aside from DCS i have seen several BSODs, some pointing to clock timing and Memory Page fault stuff. My ram is closing in on 5 to 6 years old a lot of which was heavily abused with FSX back in the day. With fresh graphics card (GTX970) a new SSD and Clean install of Win10 (a power supply well above the required/recommended specs) would you agree that RAM could be the issue? At least some of them anyway? I understand DCS is glitchy sometimes and crashes are just part of the reality. But not at the rate I'm experiencing plus the BSODs and restarts of my PC with a non corrupt,new drive and fresh OS. Thanks for your input!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''

1. No.

2. Not sure, might depend on your Mobo.

3. Reinstall not needed but depending on what other hardware you have changed since you last activated DCS, you might have to use another activation.

4. I doubt you would notice the difference.

BSOD's are either hardware or driver issues, so yes, your memory could be at fault.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Hi acdelta57,

chichlidfan has answered most your questions.

1. As mentioned by cichlidfan, no your older MB is not compatible with DDR4. You need to stick with DDR3.

2. I have always been of the view to not populate all my dim slots. I find it easier to diagnose or find the cause of memory problems with only 2 sticks or in case of my X58 board which runs tri-channel, 3 sticks. My suggestion would be as also suggested by Malefix Rage, use MemTest86+. Also Windows 10 has a memory test feature named Windows Memory Diagnostic though not sure how good it is but perhaps give that a go first. If you do find that you current memory is the cause of your problem then I would purchase 2 x 8 GB sticks.

3. I am not sure if bad RAM can corrupt files. However if I have persistent crashes in a specific game but not in others then yes I would repair or re-install the game to see if that is the cause of the problem.

4. 16GB to 24 GB is a waste of time for DCS and pretty much most games. 16GB is more than enough.

What does info CPU Z show on your memory? The SPD tab displays the actual brand and specs of the memory. The Memory tab displays your current operating speed of your memory as set in your MB BIOS.

Definitely try to test your memory as already suggested. Hopefully that is your problem. If not then it could by your PSU or motherboard possibly. How old is your PSU? Same age as your 2600k system?

Good luck and let us know how you go. :)

Intel i7-8700K | Asus Maximus X Formula | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Gainward Phoenix GTX1070 GLH | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 1 x 250GB OS & 1 x 500GB Games | Corsair RM750x 750W | Corsair Carbide Air 540| Win10 | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz | Custom water loop: CPU EK-Supremacy EVO, GPU EK-GTX JetStream - Acetal+Nickel & Backplate, Radiator EK-Coolstream PE 360, Pump & Res EK-XRES 140 Revo D5, Fans 3 x EK-Vardar 120mm & 2 x Corsair ML140 140mm

Unless you can get new DDR3 RAM very cheap, you might as well just go all the way and get a new mobo and CPU while you are at it and go for DDR4. DDR3 is old tech now.

It might not be the RAM itself but also a slot on the mobo that is bad.

My old system was acting much like you describe, but it was from 2008, so instead of upgrading i decided to build a new one and haven't had any problems since.

If you decide on DDR3 then go for 2x8GB, if you have a bad slot you are able to still run with 16Gb.

Just my two cents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Your DDR3-2400 will NOT run stable if at all @ 2400MHz due to limitations in the i7 itself, regardless if your MoBo says it can handle it. That's what I had to learn, set mine to 2133 and its fine.

2133MHz is the highest the 2600k can go with memory, elsewhere this CPU can be a very brutal performer :)

+1 for 2x8GB, less modules = better OC

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for all the info guys really appreciate it! Did some ram tests with no errors so I held off on the ram shopping and tried isolating some drivers that may be an issue. I'll still probably end up getting new ram soon anyway just to be safe. I may end up just getting a new mobo and power supply and just have a new build since everything else has been already replaced lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]1000 miles of road will take you around town, a 1000 feet of runway can take you around the world...unless your in a Huey, you can go anywhere with no runway in a Huey!

multiplayer name ''DustOff=3=6''