Autorotation practice - Governor override?

I've found that moving the engine condition levers or the collective twist grip will force the engines to idle... until the collective is raised.

This poses a problem when practicing autos, as the engines end up helping you during the critical few seconds before touchdown. The huey does the same thing but it can be overriden with the emergency governor switch.

I've done quite a bit of poking but my engines simply won't stay at idle. Even tried flipping the "RPM control" breaker which didn't appear to do anything at all (probably because I'm a knobhead)

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Sort of related question, I've noticed sometimes the engines will diverge in performance after they've been abused for long periods of time. Is this actually engine damage or something else? (I.e. something temporary like overtemp)

Edited by Pocket Sized

Turning off the service tank fuel pump may not starve the engines of fuel, as the engine-driven fuel pumps will continue to pull fuel from the service tank. The service pump just helps provide positive pressure to prevent cavitation.

Best way to turn off the engines is to use the overhead fuel cutoff levers.

The collective (along with the twist throttle/ECLs) is physically connected to the engine RPM control levers on the engine fuel controls themselves, so pulling up on the collective will always result in a rise in engine power output.

Yeah, I've started going into autos with the APU running and cutting them off completely. Results have been.... mixed. Let's just say I need a bit more practice in this bird.

Yeah, I've started going into autos with the APU running and cutting them off completely. Results have been.... mixed. Let's just say I need a bit more practice in this bird.

I normally loose a tail boom but always manage to keep upright and on all 3 wheels.

The collective (along with the twist throttle/ECLs) is physically connected to the engine RPM control levers on the engine fuel controls themselves, so pulling up on the collective will always result in a rise in engine power output.

Hey cupcake I thought this was the case but did not know for certain and didn't want to make a fool of myself :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why APU on? In most cases of total engine failure you won't have time to turn on the APU, so IMHO it makes more sense to practice without it.

Why APU on? In most cases of total engine failure you won't have time to turn on the APU, so IMHO it makes more sense to practice without it.

Eh, just makes starting the engines faster once I'm on the ground. As long as the standby gen isn't on it has no effect.

I have no problems autorotating with engines still on; just watch out for the main rotor RPM and there should be no raise in engine RPM.

Another important thing is that you start pulling the cyclic back at a height of about 15 m and also note that the Mi-8 can't autorotate to a standstill, it needs to have a roll out.

Maybe this vid can help you:

[ame]

[/ame]

There's also a video of autorotation without tail rotor on this channel.