A10C and CV1 viewpoint

blackasdf

Hey,

i find the standard view a little bit too close to the instrument panel and the hud, i've tried to move the viewpoint with camera controls and found a good position where my body is aligned with the airplane seat. The problem is that the hud doesn't scale, so when i move the viewpoint back i'm only able to see a small portion of the hud, is there a way to "move" the pov and having the hud scale down?

thanks

Apparently that's how you see the HUD in the real one and the reason for such an awkward default position in DCS.

The position is fine by me, i'm just trying to work around the fact that is not possible to zoom out like you do when you are not using the Oculus

Hey,

i find the standard view a little bit too close to the instrument panel and the hud, i've tried to move the viewpoint with camera controls and found a good position where my body is aligned with the airplane seat. The problem is that the hud doesn't scale, so when i move the viewpoint back i'm only able to see a small portion of the hud, is there a way to "move" the pov and having the hud scale down?

thanks

ED rescaled the HUD so that they could move the default viewpoint further forward because it was hard to see the instruments and gauges while maintaining a decent FOV. AFAIK you can't have a realistic head position in the A-10C without getting an oversized HUD. Maybe there is some .ini tricks that I don't know of...

Here's an active thread spanning from 2011 to present day about this issue:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68821

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

ED rescaled the HUD so that they could move the default viewpoint further forward because it was hard to see the instruments and gauges while maintaining a decent FOV. AFAIK you can't have a realistic head position in the A-10C without getting an oversized HUD. Maybe there is some .ini tricks that I don't know of...

Here's an active thread spanning from 2011 to present day about this issue:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68821

Thanks for the info. I've been unaware of that all these years, till today.

What I did for:

Panoramic Encompassing View:

I Mapped 'reset view' to my HOTAS then lent forward towards the desk/monitor and hit 'reset.' This gave me a fantastic wide angle point of view, allowing me to easily access any panel. Further, I mapped 'Zoom in slowly' to the left throttle button which instantly zoomed in on any button/screen/switch.

Detailed HUD/Sensor View:

Again, using the mapped 'reset view' button on my Hotas I sat back firmly in my chair which produced a close-in detailed view of the MFD's and HUD.

Wish List:

I think it would be brilliant if we could save 'VR view positions' (at least two maybe?).

When flying we could instantly change our viewpoint from Detailed Sensor View (DSV) to Panoramic Encompassing View. (PEV) dependent on mission.

Admittedly, we can just do that 'on the fly' but no-one wants to fiddle about like that on mission.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rig: W10 PRO 64 bit, Intel 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Code, 32GB G-Skill Ripjaw DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 1TB M.2 970PRO SSD Primary HDD, 4TB Storage, TH Warthog, Oculus Rift, 27" Samsung 4k Display. 2x Wheel Stand Pro v2 (Hotas & Stick) + Warthog Stick Adaptor

I just hunch down and lean forward a little while starting DCS. Seems to do the trick. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thank you all for the info!

@Twobells your zoom in slowly function works with the oculus? Mine doesnt :mad:

What I did for:

Panoramic Encompassing View:

I Mapped 'reset view' to my HOTAS then lent forward towards the desk/monitor and hit 'reset.' This gave me a fantastic wide angle point of view, allowing me to easily access any panel. Further, I mapped 'Zoom in slowly' to the left throttle button which instantly zoomed in on any button/screen/switch.

Detailed HUD/Sensor View:

Again, using the mapped 'reset view' button on my Hotas I sat back firmly in my chair which produced a close-in detailed view of the MFD's and HUD.

Wish List:

I think it would be brilliant if we could save 'VR view positions' (at least two maybe?).

When flying we could instantly change our viewpoint from Detailed Sensor View (DSV) to Panoramic Encompassing View. (PEV) dependent on mission.

Admittedly, we can just do that 'on the fly' but no-one wants to fiddle about like that on mission.

• 3 weeks later...
Any more news on this, I want to buy the new campaign for the A10c but not until I can see the HUD.....

you can read the hud, if you set Pixel density, under the VR tap to 1.2 and above

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

you can read the hud, if you set Pixel density, under the VR tap to 1.2 and above

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed.

The issue is that the designed eyepoint for the HUD collimation is set too far forward. Clearly a sensible compromise was made during development to place the eye point there to allow a representation on a 2d screen of the instrument panel that would mean people didn't have to pan about all the time while still retaining detail in the instruments.

This however is broken when you go into VR as depth cues and simply looking around tells you that your eye point is too close to the panel. The fix for this, even stated by wags in one of his VR videos, is to manually adjust the eyepoint.

However, as the designed collimation viewing point is incorrectly set in the cockpit model, by moving back you only see a small portion of the HUD. This is what we are talking about when we say the HUD is not readable.

No amount of super sampling is going to fix that :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This has nothing to do with what is being discussed.

The issue is that the designed eyepoint for the HUD collimation is set too far forward. Clearly a sensible compromise was made during development to place the eye point there to allow a representation on a 2d screen of the instrument panel that would mean people didn't have to pan about all the time while still retaining detail in the instruments.

This however is broken when you go into VR as depth cues and simply looking around tells you that your eye point is too close to the panel. The fix for this, even stated by wags in one of his VR videos, is to manually adjust the eyepoint.

However, as the designed collimation viewing point is incorrectly set in the cockpit model, by moving back you only see a small portion of the HUD. This is what we are talking about when we say the HUD is not readable.

No amount of super sampling is going to fix that :)

Ohhh my bad, was just trying to be helpfull...

Yes I can see, the wiewpoint is awfull in the A-10....

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

I was thinking about getting back into flying the A10, but it would appear there isn't a solution for the HUD scaling at present, if you fly in VR?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Excellent, many thanks for the steer!

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.