Is there a LOD bug?

Kula66

What you're seeing is the point at which the LOD is replaced by the actual a/c model. Depending on the aircraft, camo scheme, and your antialiasing and anisotropic settings, the plane can seem to disappear. What happens with the latter two especially is that the image is blended into invisibility. By keeping AA off, I can usually keep sight of the target, though it's still difficult right at the switch.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Played around with AA and have to say it doesn't make alot of difference ... any chance this transition could be improved ... you lose sight at a fairly critical moment!

It makes just enough difference on my rig that I can usually just barely keep it in sight--as long as it doesn't pass behind a canopy frame. Then I might not pick it up as it clears again.

Wonder if playing with the LOD distances would help so that the dot doesn't disappear until it's closer and the model is easier to see. Unfortunately, I don't know what config file controls that nor what a good setting might be.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Nvidia control display panel, in the advanced section. there is a negative LOD bias setting, set this to clamp instead of allow, that fixed the issue on my end.

Hope it helps

Interestingly enough, "clamp" is where mine is set. I wonder if it's the default setting, since I don't recall ever changing anything under the "Advanced" tab.

Rich

_____

the lod bias in the control panel controls the mipmap lod not the lod of the planes model... can't see how that could affect the lod transition of the model within lockon - it simply controls the 'sharpness' of the models textures.

kindred the problem does not occur on 12 miles out,

it only is from within 1 km out until it pass you.

I have the same problem.When i set completly aa & af off

then is can see the plain but its flashing but visible!.

But flying without AA & Af is not a option :cry: .

my specs:

A8n-e Amd XP4000

2 gig corsair mem

Saphire X1900XT 512mb

rgr Regressing initial statements. Not the same issue... Actually with my present drivers, with clamp or allow, weird, did not make any changes regarding view fading at distance. I did further test today with my present drivers 92.91. To try and re replicate my own observation from few months back. Instead of using the dot/spec in the sky, used the runway lights. Seems fine now...:huh:

For me to re confirmed my initial issue I would need to roll back drivers, seems it had to be driver related, nvidia or directX. Something I don’t feel like doing, reversing drivers. Present ones seems to be working great so far. Fresh install...

Anyhow, good luck. ttyl, back to flying :pilotfly::joystick:

Cheers

• 4 months later...