Field of View adjustment from options menu

Eclipse

As a triple monitor user, I can attest to how needed this is. We should not have to manually edit several config files to get a usable field of view.

Worth the three days of searching and trial and error? Yes. Extremely frustrating to the point I almost just gave up on it? Also yes.

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

It is a great idea.

Remove the "Zoom out" at the begining!!

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Well fundamentally, you at least have the ability to manually change display parameters. What it needs is for a concise set of instructions on here so other people can do it without all the trial and error.

If every eventuality was catered for in the options menu, it'd be impossible to navigate them, given the permutations of monitors, VR, projection screens, laptops, PCs, graphics cards - I'm sure you get the idea.

And yes, you can already edit out the zoom out too.

Well fundamentally, you at least have the ability to manually change display parameters. What it needs is for a concise set of instructions on here so other people can do it without all the trial and error.

If every eventuality was catered for in the options menu, it'd be impossible to navigate them, given the permutations of monitors, VR, projection screens, laptops, PCs, graphics cards - I'm sure you get the idea.

I disagree on more options making the options menu hard to use. What it needs is proper tooltips and a good layout. More options is never bad as long as they aren't sporadically thrown in, but organized properly.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Disagree completely. A field of view adjustment is a fundamental graphics option that many, many titles allow you to adjust from the graphics options menu.

This isn't a nitpick request - it is fundamental for a game that offers triple monitor support. The triple screen resolution is unplayable at the default field of view. Giving the user the ability to adjust it to match the triple screen setup, or changing the default to a usable setting that can be further adjusted with zoom (like IL-2) is really just part of proper triple screen support. Making it necessary to manually edit files is a glaring oversight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by Eclipse

i7-9700k overclocked to 4.9ghz, RTX 2070 Super, 32GB RAM, M.2 NVMe drive, HP Reverb G2 version 2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, and a Logitech Throttle Quadrant

Disagree completely. A field of view adjustment is a fundamental graphics option that many, many titles allow you to adjust from the graphics options menu.

This isn't a nitpick request - it is fundamental for a game that offers triple monitor support. The triple screen resolution is unplayable at the default field of view. Giving the user the ability to adjust it to match the triple screen setup, or changing the default to a usable setting that can be further adjusted with zoom (like IL-2) is really just part of proper triple screen support. Making it necessary to manually edit files is a glaring oversight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

FOV is something basic for any 3D program - be it flight sim, goat sim, sims sim, fps, cad, name it all.

Big yes for consistent FOV configuration!

1. System should allow the user to configure his own FOV

2. There should be a single, global FOV setting for all of the aircrafts

3. If required, system should provide possibility to set FOV for a specific aircraft thus overriding the global setting.

Zoom out at start - there is a workaround/fix for it:

To do it however you need to know some basic information about the SnapViews.lua and Server.lua. Just set the default FOV (the one from SnapViews [13]) as the maximum value (Server.lua gCameraViewAngleLimits value).

Side effect is that it will not be possible to zoom out - zoom in still works fine and is actually more precise.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I also use a triple-monitor setup and spend a lot of time resetting fields of view in the various lua-files after updates, with a 150-degree FOV being my preferred setting. I can then use the zoom functions to adjust the view to suit the situation. Some while back a feature was added to the "Special" options for the Mi8, where one can drag a slider to increase the FOV up to 150-degrees, thus making it unnecessary to change any of the Mi8 files files after updates. Could this feature not be added for all the aircraft? It would certainly solve the issue.

It would be less glaring of an oversight if there wasn't explicit support for different monitor configurations.

Edited by Eclipse

Don't forget people who play on 1280x1024monitors with par pixel quality, or at least standard 1280 monitors. Having to zoom in from that god awful "I'm pulling 8 Gs so let I'll just let my seat adsorb my body" FOV is irritating at start. When you fly the Su-25T missions through either campaign or just missions ED made the FOV is way different than what it is through quick mission. Why? That FOV is perfect in the ED missions imo. But yes, if we all got a FOV specific slider for all the aircraft life would be 1000x better. Add a in screen example of the FOV too to test it to your liking in the options menu as well!