No radio in Multiplayer

TheHighwayman

You misunderstand, as I was not clear in my OP. Apologies, I was badly distracted at that moment and pressed for time. I am talking about calls to wingman and AWACS. My wingman does not hear my formation, nor can I hear updates from AWACS or do they hear my requests.

The radio is set to the correct frequency.

The radio works in singleplayer.

But in multiplayer --nothing.

What VOIP system are you using? You are aware that you need an app to give you the ability to chat and that this facility isn't part of DCS World?

Channel 0 is set to be equal to whatever the group comm setting is in the mission editor and it will be what your AI flight members are listening on. The rest of the channels are also set in the mission editor.

For missions made on old version or simply made poorly or unexpectedly the radio assignments can be anything or nothing. An example bug would be for your wingmen to be set as 251 MHz AM which is impossible for the MiG-21 to achieve.

When radio doesn't work in multiplayer 90% of the time that it isn't user error it's because the mission's fault because it was made oddly or under an older version of the game.

You can never be 100% sure what frequency your channels correspond to nor what frequency AI are supposed to be using. The paper card on the wall can be a complete lie. If you have a program like SimpleRadio exporting the internal radio values from the game engine directly it's possible to diagnose what frequency you're really on.

Then there are problems with the AI actors. The briefing may say AWACS is on 123 MHz but who knows. There are old version issues, mistakes in scripting, mistakes in mission making and confusing complications from easy comms. Assuming you can get another person to contact an AI using a non-easy comm radio such as the A-10 that's the only real way to know that AI X is on frequency Y. Otherwise you're just taking the mission briefing's word for it which isn't worth much.

Since it does work in single player, apparently with the same mission, I'd suggest you check that the options are actually set the same. 'Easy Radio' options make the radio change frequencies automatically. If you locally have those options set, but the host in your multiplayer session does not, this discrepancy should appear.

In this case, the server has these checked under Options, Gameplay Settings, Difficulties:

Padlock

Labels

Allied Flight Reports

The mission is never saved on this server computer, but the server is setup the same as the computer where the mission is developed and saved on, i.e.: only these same three Difficulties are checked; Easy Comms is not checked.

In the mission, the MiG-21 Client slot has COMM checked and set to 251 MHz AM, same for the wingman in Unit 2 of the flight Group. The Red Mainstay has COMM checked and is set to 251 MHz AM.

Do we need to choose a different frequency for these a/c to communicate with each other in multiplayer?

Highwayman, are you saving the mission on your computer before you test singleplayer flight? If Yes, what are your Difficulty checkboxes?

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

So does this mean if the host runs the mission with "easy radio" it should resolve the problem?

Just the idea to check that both systems have the same setting there. Generally that setting just means you can use the radio regardless of set frequencies.

If all the frequencies are set correctly in the ME it should work anyway, but perhaps make sure that for the MiG-21s you look into the 'additional settings' tab and set the Channel 0 frequency to 251 as well.

the MiG-21 Client slot has COMM checked and set to 251 MHz AM

Well there's your problem. The MiG-21bis has a VHF radio which only operates between 118-140 MHz. UHF band of 251 MHz is not possible with the R-802 radio in the airplane.

Easy comms only tunes the radio for you but it can't (shouldn't) tune the radio to a physically impossible frequency.

Thank you, Frederf.

Any idea why this is working for single player? The problem is only in multiplayer.

Is it odd that in the ME that the MiG-21 COMM frequency can be set to frequencies other than the working range?

Will the An-50 Mainstay be able to use the frequency of 118-140 MHz? I'd check in the ME but ,,, what good what that do based upon the information above.

Highwayman, what are your difficulty settings?

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Different missions made under different versions of the software. I bet if you created a simple mission tomorrow and hosted it yourself you'd have contact with AI just fine.

Popular servers run missions made 2, 3, 5, 10 game versions ago. It might be impossible to set MiG-21 251 MHz today but last year? Maybe in an old version the data was set in a totally different file location.