Upgrading-advice please?

JCK

Hi Guys,

Reading all your VR topics, it's pushed me to seriously consider upgrading!

I'm looking at purchasing an oculus rift.

I don't have a super grade PC but these are the specs:

500W FSP Quiet Power Supply - Bronz 80 Plus

MSI B85M-E45 Intel® B85 uATX Motherboard

New 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Quad Core Processor (3.6GHz - up to 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache)

16GB DDR3 1866MHz Memory

2GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti Gaming Overclocked Twin Fan,640 Cores, DSub/DVI/HDMI, PCIe 3.0

1TB SATA III 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64Mb Cache, 8ms Hard Drive

24x DVD Writer (read/write CD & DVD)

If I do upgrade, I know I'll need a new GPU. My question is, 1060 or 1070? Are there choke points in the system that would prevent me gaining the benefit of a 1070?

I would appreciate your comments. Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by JCK
  • Like 1

i7-4790, 16GB DDR3, 6GB EVGA GTX1060 SC, Oculus CV1, Track IR 5, BenQ XL2720X, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Microsoft Windows® 8.1 -

If you can wait at least 6 months for upgrade.

Reason?

RX 490 and GTX 1080ti coming on GPU market.

ZEN is coming at CPU market.

You don't need to buy this specific product but they will shake the market in general and chamge the price to other products as well. So be patient you can save some money or buy better hardware for same budget.

However, there is always a new development 6 months away, and current hardware will support VR without any problems.

The best advice is to buy the highest spec stuff you can afford. The more headroom you have now, the longer it will be before software demands overtake your rig's capabilities. An over-powerful PSU will mean there is at least one component that you can retain in any future updates, and never skimp on the cooling aspect of a build.

I cannot recommend any particular CPU or GPU, as I am no expert, but I suggest a look at the benchmarks thread on this forum may give an insight into which combination will give the best bang for buck ratio.

Thanks for the advice guys - much appreciated.

I'm not much of a 'techie' but have been trawling the forums for a couple of days and it's been very useful. I haven't made my mind up yet but am erring towards some compromise - which at the moment is to get the CV1 and upgrade the GPU to GTX1060 to get up and running in some form - whilst accepting that a complete new rig may be in order in about 12 months time!

i7-4790, 16GB DDR3, 6GB EVGA GTX1060 SC, Oculus CV1, Track IR 5, BenQ XL2720X, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Microsoft Windows® 8.1 -