How to fly a helicopter with only a Extreme 3D Pro?

JazonXD

So I've always been flying with the fixed-wing stuff and I've got the A-10C to work with the 3D Pro just perfectly fine. I don't use the rudder twist because the sensor seems kinda screwed up so in normal flight, I never use rudder.

However, I'm wondering how I can manage with a rotary wing without rudder pedals and only a 3D Pro?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

BRRRT!  Car and aviation enthusiast, gun nut and computer nerd! 🙂

Honestly - go cheap and use keyboard for rudder, or go crazy and get some hardware in place ...

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I've been flying the helicopters in DCS for years with the trusty Extreme 3D Pro.. with little problem. I find the twist axis perfectly fine for my needs.

My suggestion:

Set all axis (Pitch, Roll, Yaw) with 15% curvature, and a 5% deadzone.

Yeah, maybe the rudder twist is a hit or miss with the 3D pros. For some reason, my sensor seems to be crap and it's constantly off centre. I've tried calibrating it many times, unplugging/plugging back in, etc. still doesn't work. Trying to twist it completely in one direction would yield only about 50% that way and then twisting only half way the other direction is full rudder deflection that other way. It sits centre at about 40% deflection to the right. I've just unbound rudder twist entirely :p

AMD 5600X -- Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision -- 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 -- HP Reverb G2 -- Logitech 3D Extreme Pro -- Thrustmaster TWCS

I had that stick and the potentiometers in it are garbage. It's a very comfortable stick, but after trying to control the Huey with it, I upgraded to a T.16000M. Some here will say you need a full HOTAS set with pedals to fly helicopters in DCS and nothing else will do. Well, I manage to do just fine with just a twist grip even though I did use pedals before, but they won't fit under my current desk. In case of the Ka-50, it should be possible with just a stick and keyboard. Better controllers will give you a better experience certainly, but you don't HAVE to spend a few hundred bucks before you can have fun.

I had that stick and the potentiometers in it are garbage. It's a very comfortable stick, but after trying to control the Huey with it, I upgraded to a T.16000M. Some here will say you need a full HOTAS set with pedals to fly helicopters in DCS and nothing else will do. Well, I manage to do just fine with just a twist grip even though I did use pedals before, but they won't fit under my current desk. In case of the Ka-50, it should be possible with just a stick and keyboard. Better controllers will give you a better experience certainly, but you don't HAVE to spend a few hundred bucks before you can have fun.

Interesting and thanks for the insight.

Yeah, maybe the rudder twist is a hit or miss with the 3D pros. For some reason, my sensor seems to be crap and it's constantly off centre. I've tried calibrating it many times, unplugging/plugging back in, etc. still doesn't work. Trying to twist it completely in one direction would yield only about 50% that way and then twisting only half way the other direction is full rudder deflection that other way. It sits centre at about 40% deflection to the right. I've just unbound rudder twist entirely :p

Depending on how old your stick is... it might be time to get a new one. They're so cheap I've really had no qualms with getting a new one every 3-4 years.

Last month my most recent stick went out of calibration with a permanent left bank. I found a youtube video on how to take it apart, did so, fiddled and soaked the offending potentiometer in rubbing alcohol.. works like new now. Good luck on your decision.

Depending on how old your stick is... it might be time to get a new one. They're so cheap I've really had no qualms with getting a new one every 3-4 years.

Last month my most recent stick went out of calibration with a permanent left bank. I found a youtube video on how to take it apart, did so, fiddled and soaked the offending potentiometer in rubbing alcohol.. works like new now. Good luck on your decision.

Haha, I think I know which video you're talking about. I was meaning to take it apart and try to fix it, but never got the time to. But I definitely will some day.

As for the age of the joystick, I've only had it for a few months before it showed problems with the rudder twist. Since I've disabled it, I've probably had the joystick for another few months making that a total of probably 1 year + 2~3 months