Gazelle Performance Data

MKay

Hi,

I really like the Gazelle, even though it is not finished yet.

But some how the performance, especially the cruise speed feels odd.

I can't get the Gazelle over 200kph in level flight, even though on sea level with almost no load.

Additionally the engine performance with increasing altitude seems a little weak.

I can barely hover at 2000m in ground effect.

I kinda sucks to be the slowest helicopter in dcs, since the Gazelle is actually one of the fastest helicopters.

I found a original POH of the Gazelle (SA 341 so SA 342 should be even more powerfull)

Ref: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%C3%A9rospatiale_SA_341/342

Its a german article but it states the Gazelle (342) has a maximum level speed at sea level of 310kph! and the 341 of 260kph.

I attached the original chart for the 341 for level light performance.

Is this going to change in the future?

Thanks and best,

MKay

attachment.php?attachmentid=153841&stc=1&d=1482336487

Capture.thumb.PNG.ec56e548009234aafc3695fe0e2b83a7.PNG

The SA341 does not have the huge and heavy Viviane sight the SA342M have on top. That's why it needs some extra power and the reason why you can't fly much faster than 210/220 kph.

My only problem is with the SA342L which, I thought, should have been able to fly much faster with reduced equipment.

The SA341 does not have the huge and heavy Viviane sight the SA342M have on top. That's why it needs some extra power and the reason why you can't fly much faster than 210/220 kph.

My only problem is with the SA342L which, I thought, should have been able to fly much faster with reduced equipment.

I agree, so it should not be able to do 310kph at sea level.

But it should be able to go around 250kph at least.

Also I can get to like 160kph with 60% torque, but if I increase the torque to 80% I just get to 190kph, increasing to 95% has almost no effect on speed what so ever.

It feels like torque over 70% has very little effect. Same I noticed in hover.

The sa342m gazelle has a liftoptimised blade. To achiev optimised lift you have to sacrafice the ability for speed cause the blades airfoil changes.

The only version of the 3 given variants that has correct performance data is the viviane hot. We added the weapons to the orher semirealistic versions for the versitlity that the player could enjoy in the game.

Right now we have not decided if we will change the fm of the 341L , which it originally would be.

Hope this shines a bit of light onto that topic.

And in normal flight you will reach 230 - 240 kmph max in a 342m. It is more likely 200-220 kmph max cause that is what an average pilot will manage in normal condotions..

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for kicking this thread up again but. I need to know something. I know the gazelle we have has different rotor blades so it can hover better with armament. but with the sniper Team gazelle on the way could it mean you guys will give the sniper team version the rotor blades that are optimized for speed and insertion. that would make a whole lot more sense then the current slow gazelle with a sniper team. i dont see myself flying a sniperteam gazelle that has rotorblades that are not made for manouvering and quick insertion.

Have you not read the post immediately before yours?

There is one version of the Gazelle modelled - the SA342M. The other weapons systems were added to the SA342M for variety without any modification to the flight model and as yet, no decision has been made about whether to introduce the flight model to match those alternate weapon versions.

How would that statement not also apply to the sniper team update? Clearly, it is not going to be arriving with the alternate rotors, but will simply be the SA342M model but with a different weapons system.