State of the MiG-21bis

JazonXD

I don't know if its just me but I'm finding it a lot more difficult to land than I remember

I agree it definitely got much harde, not that it wasn't hard before.

You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up. — Chuck Yeager

Yesterday on the AO server i did a landing at kobuletti rwy 25 came in at around 360 and b4 the threshold held airspeed @320 surprisingly she was rock steady and a wonderful landing. I am not sure if I had switched of the Aileron boosters on final. Nor i remember what was the VVI on that approach but my guess is less than 5 m/s

I will decrease my roll curve to 20, have to get the balance for high speed and low speed else the lateral of the aircraft goes crazy at times.

She does fly really well even @300 kmph flaps to landing and love doing the slow flight in her.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

Low aileron authority + slow aileron movement speed + lots of (too much?) roll inertia = wing rock on approach. I don't have too much trouble with this. It takes some practice but eventually you can get a feel for the roll response. Also, make sure you fly with full gun ammo. Without it there is a constant right rolling motion.

Skip to 7:15 for the landing.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

What I mentioned in a previous post, I have much fun in flying the Mig, navigating, throwing rockets etc.; landing goes quite well (sometimes with a flat tire (lol)) with full flaps;

now I read in your posts about an aileron booster during landing: can you indicate what you mean with this?

Best regards, Willem

What I mentioned in a previous post, I have much fun in flying the Mig, navigating, throwing rockets etc.; landing goes quite well (sometimes with a flat tire (lol)) with full flaps;

now I read in your posts about an aileron booster during landing: can you indicate what you mean with this?

There is a toggle switch just ahead of the throttle. it limits the ailerons movement. try it out you will understand it better. I am no too good with explaining technical stuff especially the aviation thing. But better you keep her wings leveled b4 hitting that switch.

Now after i decreased my curves the rocking is almost NIL. I have to test more if it was my curves causing that rocking.

Def also what pocket mentioned earlier would be the culprit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

I'd really like to see the wing rock that people are talking about.

Also, it's worth mentioning the aileron booster doesn't do much until at high speed, so turning it off won't make a big difference when landing.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I'd really like to see the wing rock that people are talking about.

Also, it's worth mentioning the aileron booster doesn't do much until at high speed, so turning it off won't make a big difference when landing.

For me the rocking looks like a curve issue.

The only time i had used Aileron boosters was almost a year and a half back that was when i was learning the Mig21 and then used it only a few days back when i started having the rocking.

Though I haven't flown the Mig21 lately except a few flights just to check.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

I don't have any curves set & I'm still pretty green as far as landing it every time without damage.

For me the wing rocking occurs when around 350kph, full flaps, gear down. If you have a good straight approach path, it doesn't happen.

It's when I need to start making corrections at low airspeed on a sloppy approach, that it occurs.

Even then it only really needs a counter correction, followed by a smaller counter-counter correction to dampen or stop it all together.

Seems like its more a PIO thing and I agree curves would in all probability exacerbate the problem.

I do get problems others do not seem to have though, age & ham fists do not help

I don't have any curves set & I'm still pretty green as far as landing it every time without damage.

For me the wing rocking occurs when around 350kph, full flaps, gear down. If you have a good straight approach path, it doesn't happen.

It's when I need to start making corrections at low airspeed on a sloppy approach, that it occurs.

Even then it only really needs a counter correction, followed by a smaller counter-counter correction to dampen or stop it all together.

Seems like its more a PIO thing and I agree curves would in all probability exacerbate the problem.

I do get problems others do not seem to have though, age & ham fists do not help

Exactly on that speed i get that rocking and the same situation. My main issue is the long final where i get disoriented somehow and will probably crash just b4 the threshold as i have lost thrust hence i use the short approach , where i maintain right or left traffic , wings 2/3 rd to the rwy (hardly any wings in the Mig :) ) and when the threshold is 45 to perch i will bank and come in to land.

So when i am a long final i already have the wings going in a rocking situation where i need to correct it but it becomes an overdone effect.

Yes i still feel it's the curves. I still need to find the right balance , if lessen the curve it will lead to hyper sensitivity on higher speed and if i increase i get that uncontrollable wing rock.

Will post results later when i try it out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

I think the module is in a good place at the moment.

I have had some periods where I hated the module, the RADAR issues of mid to late 2016 really put me off but I have been flying it loads again recently and loving it. The only thing I could say is the R60M's seem to be bugged and wont lock sometimes and the gunpods wont give you the interior panel. Thats about it in my opinion. The sales of late have had this module at a complete bargain.

Talking about the current state... have I missed something or the armament is not mentioned at all in the manual?

There is a separate explanation for the different switches and avionics, but the characteristics of the R-3R, R-3S, R-13, ... are not given? For instance, which one is IR, which one is SAR? What are their ranges, the maximum acceleration?

Or the ASP lock lights, how should we use them? Sure, there is a training mission, but all it says is that we should look at those lights to know when to release the IR-guided missiles. Only, I never saw them light up when closing in.

Is completing the manual with this information planned in the near future? That would be a great help.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Or the ASP lock lights, how should we use them? Sure, there is a training mission, but all it says is that we should look at those lights to know when to release the IR-guided missiles. Only, I never saw them light up when closing in.

The manual does say that the top two lights are for the RS2-US missiles (top one for the left wing, middle one for right), and the bottom light for the R-60. :)

The manual does say that the top two lights are for the RS2-US missiles (top one for the left wing, middle one for right), and the bottom light for the R-60. :)

You're correct :) I saw that part, still it's not clear.

In the AA_missiles mission, which equips the Fishbed with two R-3R SARH (semi-active / fox 1 if I'm not mistaken) and two R-3S (IR / fox 2), the following explanation is given for the IR missiles:

"You will know the sensor has locked on when the LOCK SOUND is audible and when one of the green lights near the bottom right base of the ASP is ON. Those lights are named 55 and 62 and they should be around the highlighted area."

But so the R-3S should not be related to those lights. While the RS-2US, according to the info I've found, is apparently a semi-active missile and not IR-guided, yet the manual states that

"Finally, three signal lights (CU40-41-42) which are not placed on the ASP itself but are a part of the aiming interface, indicate if the IR missile seeker head has locked a target. The green light “1” will light up if RS-2US missiles on the left wing have locked the target; while light “2” is for the RS-2US missiles on the right wing. “62” light is for selected R-60 missiles, regardless of pylon position. Therefore, to recognize that the IR missile seeker has locked the target, you need to hear the lock-on sound and see the lock-on light. If any of the two is missing, the missile could have locked the target only temporarily or locked on to some IR noise."

So in conclusion I find all that confusing. I'm mostly relying on the sound, but I think this great aircraft deserves a proper explanation in the manual ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR