Introducing the VKB-Sim Gunfighter

rrohde

Does anyone have any experience using the vkb configurator? Just got my gunfighter pro and warthog adapter, went through all the physical alterations fine. Can't for the life of me get the configurator to not throw errors. DCS recognizes the axis but no buttons. I've tried the VKB forums and registered but it won't let me log in there. Ugh so frustrating.

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks UIV. I can't seem to find the quick guide though

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Thanks UIV. I can't seem to find the quick guide though

Try this? http://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gunfighter-quick-operations-guide

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

Just a note - usually, when buttons on a grip don't work, make sure the grip is properly seated.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Posted this news item containing links to my Gunfighter related Quick Guides; hope you find them useful: http://vkbcontrollers.com/?p=4669

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Got the buttons working thanks. Not sure if I didn't have the grip seated properly or was doing something else wrong but that was good advice thanks. One last question, what's the purpose of the "w" cam with the warthog adaptor? And why only one and not two? I didn't install it but maybe I should? Thanks Jason

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

It's all mentioned on the available quick guides. The W cam is used on the pitch axis and has a noticeable center detent. The idea is to keep the heavy TM Warthog grip centered, because it has the tendency to lean forward a bit - which, of course, you can counter by either putting stiffer springs in, or adjust the dry clutch damper accordingly. BTW - how is that dry clutch working for you? I haven't gotten my Gunfighter yet (go figure), but like to hear about it. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Btw, I think everyone is in for a treat when they get their new bases and setups! This base feels nice! Huge improvement over the TM base

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Well, how about some pics, btw? I will do some unboxing pics when I get my Gunfighter hopefully next week - but would love to see some pics beforehand. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm gonna have to play with the dry clutch a bit. I'll let you know! Haven't permanently mounted my base yet. Maybe I'll swap out the cam as well. I put in the 50 springs but I'd say my grip has a tendency to pitch back if anything. Maybe the w cam will fix that

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Will do. Gonna choke back some coffee and get back to work on it

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

I'm gonna have to play with the dry clutch a bit. I'll let you know! Haven't permanently mounted my base yet. Maybe I'll swap out the cam as well. I put in the 50 springs but I'd say my grip has a tendency to pitch back if anything. Maybe the w cam will fix that

You can also have a second spring on the pitch axis if you prefer that. The W cam will add a noticeable center detent, which I personally didn't like too much in my Mamba Mk.III with TM Warthog grip. I prefer the soft center cam, so I tried to compensate with more springs on the pitch axis. That dry clutch will certainly help here as well

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Oh and I noticed it looks like they removed the ground on the PCB board for the adaptor? That's the only difference I noticed from your guide. I hope that's the case

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

The dry clutch is the screw on the base that inserts into the spring in the gimbal?

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

The pics were taken from the TM Warthog Adapter for the Gladiator Pro, so that might be slightly different. :) Doesn't really affect the assembly process, though. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The dry clutch is the screw on the base that inserts into the spring in the gimbal?

I highlighted them in red; each axis has its own dry clutch damper!

Image_from_Skype2.png.2c0dce8149ba2b221ff0d869333d6308.png

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Couple of beauty shot of the VKB Gunfighter's gimbal inside the housing:

1162592327_GunfigtherGimbal2.thumb.png.affc6f898ef22d0284b5bdb5c9bd6d02.png

30614184_GunfigtherGimbal1.thumb.png.0536262de354a25a5b2f4773a653cdac.png

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Readme for this 'toe brakes" for T-Rudder Mk.IV say:

VKB-Sim BlackBox controller

GF+KG12+T-Rudder with virtual brakes

Axes: 5 (X, Y - Gunfighter; Z - T-Rudder; Rx, Ry - Virtual Brakes)

Brake button: Pinky button

Buttons: 6

HAT: 0

Firmware version: 1.85.2

VKBDevCfg-C version: 0.78.9.9

Looks that are for T-Rudder combined with Gladiator - what make sense since is need a physical button for press the brakes (for both wheels), as "virtual toe brakes" can't be pressed :) - and not for T-Rudder standalone.

And the "Brake button: Pinky button" suggest that this is "Russian 'bicycle lever' brakes" and not "tip-toe brakes". :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

So just a suggestion or bit of advice for anyone when they get their gunfighter PRO and Warthog adaptor. After tweaking and experimenting all day I can strongly suggest using the "w" cam and also using 2 50# springs for the pitch axis. Otherwise I found their was a constant and annoying tendency to pitch up in sim. I hope this saves someone quite a bit of assembly and breakdown time.

For the record this thing is marvelous feeling.

Oh, I also greatly tightened the dry clutch

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

Otherwise I found their was a constant and annoying tendency to pitch up in sim.

That's something I cannot confirm from the Mamba without the W cam. How do you calibrate your Gunfighter? Hopefully, not with the built-in Windows device calibration, right? :) VKB devices with MaRS sensors should only be calibrated from within VKBdevCfg, and the stick needs to remain centered (in other words, don't move it around like you would in old-school calibration tools). Just click on Start Calibr, wait a second, and then click End Calibr. That allows the MaRS sensor to find the center and store that value inside the stick itself. :thumbup:

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

And the "Brake button: Pinky button" suggest that this is "Russian 'bicycle lever' brakes" and not "tip-toe brakes". :)

Yeah, a more appropriate term would be "differential brake", but for some reason "virtual toe brake" stuck as a name. :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I was calibrating in the vkbdevconfig...maybe i was doing it wrong but the weight of the TMW kept pulling thew stick aft. Seems all good now with those modifications

Loving the stick

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

All DCS modules

That's good to hear then! :)

So, how does the dry clutch feel? Does the stick movement feel "heavier" because of it, less oscillation when letting go, etc? That's what I really want to hear. :D

Also - totally glad you you're loving your new Gunfighter!

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Rainer, I don't want to hassle you, but how is the progression through the "day one" pre-orders? Are all shipped orders currently updated? I've got a vacation coming up and would hate for the Gunfighter to be schedule to arrive after I leave.