My first steps with the Viggen

LeCuvier

I've encountered a number of issues that make me wonder whether it was a good idea to start flying it:

1. This whole release seems awfully dark which makes it a bit depressing

2. I did not find a flight manual which would have helped me with some of my stumbling blocks. There isn't even a "Doc" folder in the Viggen folder structure.

For example, I could not find any control for instrument lighting.

3. There is a fair number of functions that represent a multiposition (rotary) switch. Example: Countermeasures. If I would try to map all these modes to my throttle or button box, Iwould very quickly run out of switches. They need commands like Increase/Decrease or CW/CCW to be manageable!

4. A number of commands are only available on the keyboard. Examples: Radar altimeter switch and TILS rotary and the whole category "Lights". I will help myself and copy these from the default.lus under "Keyboard" to the default.lua under Joystick

5. Some commands are only available in the cockpit. Examples: brightness adjistment for flood lights and panel lights

Question: Is there no Nosewheel Steering command?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

2. I did not find a flight manual which would have helped me with some of my stumbling blocks. There isn't even a "Doc" folder in the Viggen folder structure.

Manual was posted in the forum.

Hi Everyone!

We're really excited to share with you, the first public draft of the AJS-37 Manual!

Those of you who will be flying the Viggen, will be spending plenty of time with this document; and we hope we have been able to adequately and appropriately cover the aircraft and its' assorted systems.

This version of the manual is still a work in progress, and comes with some caveats

• A few items/topics are missing

• Spelling and grammatical issues are likely

• Various images are missing

..and probably some other various errors, inconsistencies and missing items.

That said, feedback is still greatly appreciated!

>>AJS-37 DRAFT MANUAL<<

Happy reading!

LS

I've encountered a number of issues that make me wonder whether it was a good idea to start flying it:

1. This whole release seems awfully dark which makes it a bit depressing

?

For example, I could not find any control for instrument lighting.

Instrument lightning controls are on the left panel, behind the radio.manual:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=180252

3. There is a fair number of functions that represent a multiposition (rotary) switch. Example: Countermeasures. If I would try to map all these modes to my throttle or button box, Iwould very quickly run out of switches. They need commands like Increase/Decrease or CW/CCW to be manageable!
+1

Some rotary switches do have cw/ccw keys, I hope they'll be added for all of them.

4. A number of commands are only available on the keyboard. Examples: Radar altimeter switch and TILS rotary and the whole category "Lights". I will help myself and copy these from the default.lus under "Keyboard" to the default.lua under Joystick

5. Some commands are only available in the cockpit. Examples: brightness adjistment for flood lights and panel lights

WIP :D. Like above, hope they'll be added.

Question: Is there no Nosewheel Steering command?
No.

I can't address all your concerns, but I can tell you what I know and give my opinion.

The lack of a Flight Manual/Docs folder is a known bug and will be fixed soon.

From what I have noticed so far, many of the rotary switches are not ones you have to manipulate very often. And when you do, it's not too difficult to move them with the mouse.

Same thing goes for the TILS rotary, and the lights. The interior lighting is mostly controlled by the two potentiometers behind the throttle. Exterior lights are all controlled Buy 4 switches on the rear part of the right console. These again are easily manageable with mouse controls.

Lastly, as far as I know, there is no control to engage/disengage the NWS. Wether this is a bug or working as intended, I do not know. If you find it a too sensitive, throw a curvature on the axis. Personally I have mine set to 19.

I know these aren't exactly the answers you were looking for, but I hope they help. And in my humble opinion, you would need a full home cockpit to assign everything you mention to hardware. And keep in mind, this is just the very first early access build. Bugs will get squashed rather quickly.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

Thanks for your comments guys!

I have found the pot for the instruments lighting brightness way back on the left panel. That helps, but these brightness adjustments should be available as commands. If you have to start a mission cold with little daylight, the pots will be hard to locate.

Interestingly, there is also a small panel labeled "KABINBELYSN" with 7 pots, hidden behind the stick. I'm not Swedish but I'm fairly confident this means "Cockpit Lighting". These pots all show "Trigger Bracket" when you hover the mouse over them, and they don't seem to do anything. Seems that's WIP.

I accept the comment about the rotary switches as a personal opinion but I don't share that opinion. I have a fair number of buttons available, and I would like to decide myself which commands to have available without using the mouse.

Further I have added 6 commands for joystick/throttle that were only available on the keyboard, and I will add more once I understand what I'm doing.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Thanks for your comments guys!

I have found the pot for the instruments lighting brightness way back on the left panel. That helps, but these brightness adjustments should be available as commands. If you have to start a mission cold with little daylight, the pots will be hard to locate.

Use the flashlight (LAlt + L) :D.