QFE at airports

Dave317

Cool, thanks grunf!

Do any other DCS modules require QNF entered in mbar? If not, this sort of table would be a great addition to the Viggen manual or kneeboard, since altitude settings are so important for air-to-ground ordinance usage (and by default, DCS does not provide the proper unit of measure in the ATC call-backs).

Relent

Edited by 609_Relentov

Cool, thanks grunf!

Do any other DCS modules require QNF entered in mbar? If not, this sort of table would be a great addition to the Viggen manual, since altitude settings are so important for air-to-ground ordinance usage (and by default, DCS does not provide the proper unit of measure in the ATC call-backs).

Relent

I know M2000 uses mbar, that's why I created the table :), Hawk, maybe Gazelle too, but I'm not sure. Most if not all Russian planes use mmHg.

Edited by grunf
fogot the hawk :)

Cool, thanks grunf!

Do any other DCS modules require QNF entered in mbar? If not, this sort of table would be a great addition to the Viggen manual or kneeboard, since altitude settings are so important for air-to-ground ordinance usage (and by default, DCS does not provide the proper unit of measure in the ATC call-backs).

Relent

Well, the kneeboard DOES contain your flightplan data, including QFE for each waypoint. So for targeting purposes this is pretty much already taken care of properly in the kneeboard, no?

Well, the kneeboard DOES contain your flightplan data, including QFE for each waypoint. So for targeting purposes this is pretty much already taken care of properly in the kneeboard, no?

Hmm, you're right, thanks unipus. I didn't look at the waypoint chart close enough to see that it had the QFE figures there, nice addition to the dynamic kneeboards.

One more comment/question on the issue of establishing the QFE at a given waypoint. What if waypoints are not provided (beyond the take off airfield), and we have to add them through lola coordinates via the CK37 during the mission? These waypoints of course are not included in the generated kneeboard, and I don't recall seeing any QFE info on the F10 view. Not sure where we would get the QFE info for these, or do we just use the airfield QFE and do ballpark adjustments based on the altitude difference between the take off airfield and the target waypoint...

I would imagine this could affect the accuracy (re: dispersion altitude) of the BK90.

Edited by 609_Relentov

The BK90 has an internal radar altimeter. It'll affect dumb munitions, but not the smart ones.

Good to know, thanks. I guess I missed that in the manual :).

Now if I could only get the BK90's to disperse the sub-munitions. They fly right over the target waypoint and keep on going, and then just lose their kinetic energy and fly into the ground. I fire them when the horizontal line has shrunk to the outer poles (I__I) on the hud, between 50-500 meters, NAV/ANF (tried both) master modes, weapon on ATTACK and they have plenty of energy to make the waypoint... can't figure out what I'm missing.

Edit - I also tried entering the dispersion code for long area 921000 in mode TAKT / IN but they still did not disperse. Another edit - just realized this was after a re-arm, so it may be related to the other re-arm bugs. I'll have to create another Viggen spawn point with the BK-90's pre-loaded and see if they disperse. Final edit (lol) yeah, after creating another Viggen spawn with the BK-90's loaded, they did disperse after deploying as I saw the explosion pattern, so it's probably the re-arm bug I was seeing.

Edited by 609_Relentov

Good to know, thanks. I guess I missed that in the manual :).

Now if I could only get the BK90's to disperse the sub-munitions. They fly right over the target waypoint and keep on going, and then just lose their kinetic energy and fly into the ground. I fire them when the horizontal line has shrunk to the outer poles (I__I) on the hud, between 50-500 meters, NAV/ANF (tried both) master modes, weapon on ATTACK and they have plenty of energy to make the waypoint... can't figure out what I'm missing.

Edit - I also tried entering the dispersion code for long area 921000 in mode TAKT / IN but they still did not disperse. Another edit - just realized this was after a re-arm, so it may be related to the other re-arm bugs. I'll have to create another Viggen spawn point with the BK-90's pre-loaded and see if they disperse. Final edit (lol) yeah, after creating another Viggen spawn with the BK-90's loaded, they did disperse after deploying as I saw the explosion pattern, so it's probably the re-arm bug I was seeing.

This is a short in the dark but are you doing this in multiplayer or singleplayer? The Bk-90 doesn't work in multiplayer unless you are the host at the moment. :-)